Using SDS100 as Base Scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubbe

I do not think starting the vehicle with it plugged in is very healthy for the scanner. It is not healthy to do that to a cell phone.
The scanner doesn't run directly from the 12v. The cigarette lighter plug regulates the voltage down to 5v independent of if its feed with 6volt or 20volt and any spikes on the 12v do not go thru to the 5volt side.

/Ubbe

NA9X

Premium Subscriber
Yes, the RTL-SDR USB dongle and DSD+ Fastlane runs great on a Surface Go2 tablet for a portable spectrum analyzer... recent versions of DSD+ fastlane will trunk track P25, DMR TIII, Connect+, etc. with one dongle just fine and also can decode Fusion, D-Star etc. used in ham radio. I got a case for my Surface tablet that the pen holder on top will fit an AirSpy Mini dongle perfectly with an 800MHz antenna attached - it's a touch-screen scanner haha! Still love my SDS100 for portability and ability to scan multiple systems/sites but for the price the tablet, dongle, software and USB cable, etc. combination is altogether a cheaper option with the ability to run other software and makes a great tool to find trunking site frequencies and LSNs/other info. for new systems. Anyway for a base station scanner, if you have a pc available and just want to monitor a specific system, DSD+ would definitely be the way to go so you can free up your SDS :)

Status
Not open for further replies.