Using this site to find Repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9NIF

Premium Subscriber
I'm new to the form. Just looking for some info on how to use this site. Is there a way to find repeater freqs here?

Another idea would be to be able to plan a route on a map and get a print out of selected freqs along that site. Like a bunch of check boxes on what you wanted printed out. Just Repeaters, just 2M just 70CM etc....so you can fine tune the print out.

The biggest thing I need now is to find Repeaters by county in WI like we can with the other stuff....Specifically for 2 meters if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

KC9NIF

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I'm new to the form. Just looking for some info on how to use this site. Is there a way to find repeater freqs here?

Another idea would be to be able to plan a route on a map and get a print out of selected freqs along that site. Like a bunch of check boxes on what you wanted printed out. Just Repeaters, just 2M just 70CM etc....so you can fine tune the print out.

The biggest thing I need now is to find Repeaters by county in WI like we can with the other stuff....Specifically for 2 meters if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

KC9NIF
Repeaterbook.com is the go-to for amateur repeaters. There is some info here on RR in the Amateur Radio tab for each county, but it's not nearly as complete, and it doesn't seem to get the attention and updates that the regular database info does.

There is a smartphone app for repeaterbook.com that uses your location to find the nearest repeaters.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Or, you could go to the source:

wi-repeaters.org

WAR is the amateur radio frequency coordinator for Wisconsin. On the left side of their web site, you'll find lists of the coordinated Wisconsin repeaters organized in different orders.

The problem with any repeater mapping project is that it's difficult to know what repeaters along your route are actually reachable and active. Amateur radio repeaters use varying antenna heights, power outputs, and antenna gains so their coverage areas are not consistent. A repeater mapping program may tell you that 30 repeaters are within 10 miles of your route, but there's no way to know which ones actually provide coverage of your route. If you set your distance standard too high, you'll get a huge list of repeaters. If you set your distance standard too low, you may miss the high-profile repeater or the repeater with remote receivers that actually covers your route very well.

I don't doubt that the local editors for Repeaterbook do a good job trying to keep those listings current. But, a quick look at one county in Indiana shows that about a third of the listings are incorrect.

Last edited:

KD8DVR

wi-repeaters.org

WAR is the amateur radio frequency coordinator for Wisconsin. On the left side of their web site, you'll find lists of the coordinated Wisconsin repeaters organized in different orders.

The problem with any repeater mapping project is that it's difficult to know what repeaters along your route are actually reachable and active. Amateur radio repeaters use varying antenna heights, power outputs, and antenna gains so their coverage areas are not consistent. A repeater mapping program may tell you that 30 repeaters are within 10 miles of your route, but there's no way to know which ones actually provide coverage of your route. If you set your distance standard too high, you'll get a huge list of repeaters. If you set your distance standard too low, you may miss the high-profile repeater or the repeater with remote receivers that actually covers your route very well.

I don't doubt that the local editors for Repeaterbook do a good job trying to keep those listings current. But, a quick look at one county in Indiana shows that about a third of the listings are incorrect.
I've found that coordination bodies are far less accurate than Repeaterbook in many cases. In Ohio, for instance, there are so called "coordinated" repeaters that have been off the air for 10 years or more. From working with Repeaterbook, Ohio is not unique to coordination body innacuracies . Like anything, any repeater database is just a guide..m nothing can be 100% perfect.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

KD8DVR

wi-repeaters.org

One more comment... Did you report that third of repeaters in that county and make corrections? That's one way to help make the data better.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

Status
Not open for further replies.