Visit to Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I'm planning a visit to Miami in a couple of weeks, and I'll be bringing my scanner down with me. I was hoping someone could answer a few questions.

1. I'll be staying near the Dolphin Mall. Which TG for police should I be listening to for that area?

2. I'll be frequenting South beach (Wet Willies alcohol slushies, anyone?), what's best to monitor for police there?

3. Is there a "highway patrol"?

4. Do the laws prevent the use of a scanner in vehicles?

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to your (much) warmer weather, and no snow...

lep

3. The FHP, Florida Highway Police, can not be monitored.

I leave to others to comment on #1 & #2.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber

rapidcharger

Do yourself a favor and avoid miami beach. It's not safe.
Monitor MBPD but do it from safely outside of their jurisdiction.

If you're wanting to listen to miami-dade pd (not to be confused with city of miami or miami beach), the dolphin mall is pretty much in between two areas. DEC talkgroups 533 and 537 should have you covered. Refer to the database. Of course if you're more into shootings, car jacking, riots and etc, there are far more interesting areas to listen to than that.

The FHP has been addressed already. Borrring anyway.

The exemptions for mobile use of a scanner has also been addressed but I will warn many cops in the state do not know of the exemption and will give you a hard time regardless.

Be careful and enjoy your stay.

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/32.0.1700.20 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Shootings? Car jackings? I'm in. Talk group ids please!

Is Miami beach the same as south beach? I've never felt unsafe at south beach, what are the risks?

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/32.0.1700.20 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Shootings? Car jackings? I'm in. Talk group ids please!

Is Miami beach the same as south beach? I've never felt unsafe at south beach, what are the risks?

I never been to Miami but I watch the tv show south beach tow not sure if you are able to pick them up its on a trunking system. WPNQ673 (TREMONT TOWING) FCC Callsign Details

rapidcharger

Shootings? Car jackings? I'm in. Talk group ids please!)))
Pretty much all of them but to narrow your search,
On the miami-dade EDACS system...
668, 669, 670, 529

On the city of Miami type ii system...
ALL districts

(((Is Miami beach the same as south beach? I've never felt unsafe at south beach, what are the risks?

Yes. "South Beach" is in the city of Miami Beach.
The problem with Miami beach isn't the criminals.... the problem with Miami Beach is the police. The police have a well deserved reputation for violently assaulting, beating and shooting people and arresting what remains of them on a bogus charge. Even in the touristy areas. Even in front of hundreds of people. And lately they seem to have an appetite for Canadians but not even the locals are exempt from their abuses of power. I have lived in Miami for many years. I've been a victim. I've also routinely passed through Miami's highest crime areas. I would feel more comfortable passing through any high crime area at night than passing through Miami Beach at night. Again, not because of the people. The people are great.

Last edited:

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber

Thanks for the replies. I'll put on my best British accent while scoffing back drinks at Wet Willies :)

kayleesdad

WetW's used to have a back exit that proved useful on occasion. Haven't lived there in over a decade, it was fun at all hours. Didn't have a scanner back then, can't offer advice on that.

haleve

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Miami & Miami Beach Police Departments

If you're going to frequent the Miami/ Miami Beach areas I'd suggest using a handheld scanner with a discreet earpiece, the busiest & most exciting talkgroups for the City of Miami PD's trunked system are the following:

North Dispatch: DEC: 62128 HEX: f2b EXTREMELY BUSY!!!!! (24/7/365)
Central Dispatch: DEC: 62192 HEX f2f VERY BUSY
West Dispatch: DEC: 62256 HEX: f33
South Dispatch: HEX: 62320 HEX: f37 BUSY

Same goes for the City of Miami Beach PD's trunked system:

South Dispatch: DEC: 32016 HEX: 7d1 VERY BUSY
North Dispatch: DEC: 32048 HEX: 7d3

If you feel uncomfortable toting a scanner in those areas you can always stream both departments under Broadcastifys live audio site along with Miami Dade county Police Department on a laptop, tablet or any mobile device or compatible cellphone, good luck.

Florida Live Audio Feeds

N4KVE

Thanks for the replies. I'll put on my best British accent while scoffing back drinks at Wet Willies :)
I was going to tell you to bring protection, but then I noticed you were Canadian, so you probably don't have any, & if you did, you couldn't bring it over the border. Good luck. I live 50 miles north, & avoid it like the plague.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I'm planning a visit to Miami in a couple of weeks, and I'll be bringing my scanner down with me. I was hoping someone could answer a few questions.

1. I'll be staying near the Dolphin Mall. Which TG for police should I be listening to for that area?

2. I'll be frequenting South beach (Wet Willies alcohol slushies, anyone?), what's best to monitor for police there?

3. Is there a "highway patrol"?

4. Do the laws prevent the use of a scanner in vehicles?

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to your (much) warmer weather, and no snow...
The Dolphin Mall is technically within the city limits of Sweetwater. They operate on the Miami Dade Police EDACS system (Miami-Dade County Public Services Trunking System, Miami-Dade, Florida - Scanner Frequencies) and use the Municipal West channel talkgroup (tg) DEC 531 / AFS 04-023 for dispatching. The City of Doral is very close to the mall and also uses this tg. Sweetwater also has tg DEC 667 / AFS 05-033 as a car-car channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.