• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VP8000 Not Recognized

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
After last round of updates to firmware and armada my laptop doesn't recognize my radio. KPG-36X cable which worked in the past but only in USB mode. If I select UART the computer sees that but when select USB nothing, as if nothing is plugged into usb port. Cycled computer, radio no joy. I'm on the road so no other computer to test on. While plugged into running computer, if I power cycle the VP8000 it comes up displaying "Programming Mode...Press any key or disconnect to return to normal mode".
Could I somehow be missing a driver? Even then the computer usually reacts to a device being plugged in even if no driver present.
Not emergency..I'm on vacation for 3 weeks and don't have any redundancy with me (spare cable, usb a to c adapter, etc).

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a drive issue to me since the radio is showing the programming message. It is a network adapter.

1729294144878.png

Jim

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
What's the solution? In past it must have installed automatically.
And you are right the adapter does not show up. Other take may be that there is something wrong with the radio or cable such that the computer doesn't recognize or know a USB device has been plugged in.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Just a notice of information, while SOME 36xm cables will work, it is suggested to get the kpg-236um cable which is intended for the radios. It will work with the nx series and all VP multipin radios, as they are usb native radios.

Can't say much more to assist you other than an update on the pc may be the culprit.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
Chicago now, in few days a train to LA (I like trains) then home to work NC Flood again maybe, normally I work emergency response rather than recovery but this is a once in a lifetime event for NC. When I hit LA I should be able to source alternate gear (pc, cable) to test my radio before sending to you:). Actually may email you to get a new cable sent to Burbank address.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
Radio info shows 8.42.28.121 firmware. Tried loading drivers but no joy. Plugging in cable with powered up radio gets no response of any kind from laptop. The Ef Johnson usblan adapter doesn’t show up either. If I flip the switch on the cable to UART the laptop sees the cable but not the radio (I don’t think the uart setting works with EFJ anyway). I’m traveling till 26th when I land in Burbank and hopefully will have a new cable waiting and access to other PC’s.