vx-7r charging question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4ELO

I recently bought a 7r, and it came with a cd-15a rapid charger. I usually put it in the charger over night, but evidently once the stand says charged, the radio burns the battery thoughout the night. Leaving me with a dead battery about midday.

My question is, I have an extra nc-72b wall wart. Can I use the extra wall wart to power the radio for monitoring while charging the battery separately in the rapid charger?

teufler

sure you can, though on my vx7, which I have owned since about 2003, I get ac hum in the transmitter while it is pluggeed into the wall. On receive, no problem. UIsually about 2 hours, the change is done.

KK4ELO

I wont be transmitting, only receiving. The battery will be in a separate charger, with no battery in the radio. I need to know if i can plug in and power the radio without a battery in it.

Thanks for the reply.

majoco

Stirrer
I've had a little VX-2 for a good few years now. One of the first things I found was that the supplied charger just wasn't doing the job - it didn't fully charge the battery even though the charge light had gone green. I had a bigger fatter 6volt (nominal???) wall wart so I fitted an adaptor to fit the Yaesu socket - after that it was all good - I have the radio going for three or four hours a day and I charge it when I think of it - say once a week or less! I can't recall the last time it went flat on me.

teufler

reference to the vx7, I just tried, leaving the battery off and plugging the wall wart into the radio with out a battery. No problems. So I guess it works.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
sure you can, though on my vx7, which I have owned since about 2003, I get ac hum in the transmitter while it is pluggeed into the wall. On receive, no problem. UIsually about 2 hours, the change is done.
Are you transmitting on your vx-7 while it's in the cd-15a charging stand with the nc72b wall wart? DON'T! The instructions will tell you it's NOT designed to be a power supply capable of enough current to transmit with, receiving is fine however. ;) 73, n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.