Walmart Scanner Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill4long

Walmart stores often use MURS channel 4 and 5, which are 154.570 and 154.600.

These are unlicensed frequencies that anyone may use. Apparently Walmart is too cheap to pay for the $200/bi-annual LMR licenses so they could have their own frequency.

They have no right to tell you get off "their" frequency because it isn't "their" frequency. Although, according to the part 95 rules, parties using MURS should try to "avoid interference" with each other. The three Walmarts that I've listened to around here don't even use tone squelch. Which means they don't try very hard to minimize interference to themselves from outside transmissions.

Multi-Use Radio Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

Using CTCSS or DCS does not reduce interference. It actually prevents you from hearing co-channel users, leading to mutual interference to all parties who are using CTCSS or DCS. Those who use CSQ, can hear co-channel users, and can refrain from transmitting when someone else is, which is what the rules actually require.
Also, the channels weren't always license-by-rule, and at least some, if not many, Wal-Marts, were licensed, (and may still have unexpired licenses, I don't know how long the license term was) on those two channels.

Last edited:

SquierStrat

Now, the EARPIECE thing.... thats not to live out CSM 007 fantasies, its been required by home office because some jerk off in the south got a hold (or had a radio capable) of a store walkie, and asked for a manger to (and this is a quote) "help a welfare momma n****r with her purchases" and it went out over the store. Since then its mandated to use ear pieces, however they never give us any..and the radios are so crappy they have to be a max volume to make out anything that's said. This is mostly because of operator error.... apparently holding them sideways looks cooler and they don't realize its a 20 DB signal lose from horizontal polarity to vertical that most associate have on their waists.

Thats funny! You would think with an issue like that, and a bank account like theirs, they would get their own licensed frequency. but nope, just headsets.

So is that a new requirement for EVERYONE with a radio, or just managers? at my local wal mart, that rule applies to managers only..

Thats funny! You would think with an issue like that, and a bank account like theirs, they would get their own licensed frequency. but nope, just headsets.

So is that a new requirement for EVERYONE with a radio, or just managers? at my local wal mart, that rule applies to managers only..

Technically it applies to all associates with a radio but every time we attempt to order them.... they either don't show up or our store funds are gone for the month.

To clear up the whole Freq. license thing... I think the reason Wal-mart operates on MURS is not because they cannot afford it. But universal purchasing of radios, and portability of store equipment. Even if they did license, imagine the nightmare of trying to get the same freq nationwide! Then factor in exisiting land-mobile and grandfathered licenses, a true nightmare i bet.

VE2NCG

Premium Subscriber
Holy (Canadian) Cow

Mmmm, in my area (Montreal, Quebec) no Wall-Mart use radios but... Industry Canada (The canadian fcc) as decided to create the MURS service here, the same as in the U.S. and beginning in june 2014.
Moving (evicting) thousands of legitimate paying licences holder from thoses frequencies, lots of FD complaining etc...
""
In total, there may be in excess of more than 28,000 incumbent stations that could be affected by the 5 frequencies used by MURS. Some of these frequencies include those for government operations, public safety and commercial/industrial operations. It is noted that some stations are authorized on a province-wide basis""

ARCHIVED — Proposals and Changes to the Spectrum in Certain Bands Below 1.7*GHz - Spectrum Management and Telecommunications

My hunch is, it is possible that WM has done some lobbying with the government to create this service instead of simply buying some radios business licences??

On the same subject, Target will open their stores in canada in september and each stores has his own business frequency owned and listed on the Industry Canada website:

Licensee Name Search | Spectrum Direct | Industry Canada

Nick

Last edited:

WVspe1

I'm an overnight support manager for wal-mart and a HAM, i wont reveal anything here as to my ident. But Wal-Mart uses a bunch of XTN, CPM (Radius 2 VHF on the newer ones), and old school XV2600 Moto Radios. They are all MURS radios. Mostly they are 2 ch models. Channel 1 is 154.570 or MURS 4 and channel 2 is 154.600 or MURS 5. (on the XV its Freq 3 and 4 programmed on Ch 1 and Ch 2)

I often use my Wouxun HAM radio (i can also dual watch the local repeater to talk to fellow hams on break) instead of the crappy store walkies as it can actually receive and transmit unlike the refurbished-refurbished world war 2 hand me downs we have.

Let me dispel a few things here, first most stores DO NOT use a PL code.... only heavy RF spectrum metro stores do when next to other MURS users, typically factories as most fast food went to the 460 business band or the 900 ism band a long time ago. The more out of the way stores run open MURS 4 (154.570) and some open ham radios can freely transmit on them (please limit to the legal 2 watts please).

Now, the EARPIECE thing.... thats not to live out CSM 007 fantasies, its been required by home office because some jerk off in the south got a hold (or had a radio capable) of a store walkie, and asked for a manger to (and this is a quote) "help a welfare momma n****r with her purchases" and it went out over the store. Since then its mandated to use ear pieces, however they never give us any..and the radios are so crappy they have to be a max volume to make out anything that's said. This is mostly because of operator error.... apparently holding them sideways looks cooler and they don't realize its a 20 DB signal lose from horizontal polarity to vertical that most associate have on their waists.

Now if you real radio ops out there wanna have fun, most big box stores are operating illegally on GMRS unlike wal-mart using MURS (which is unlicensed and legal for business) like Khols, Target and sometimes Kmart. They just store use the off the shelf GMRS 2 ways.

However, you can hear interesting stuff on the WSUCK Wal-mart radio.... like people pissing in the plants or Huff-Daddy 18 year old huffing canned air in the bathroom (both have happened in my store).

Enjoy the info.... will monitor the thread.
I work AP at a local Walmart in VA and have been tossing around the idea of buying a decent handheld Ham to use at work and for personal use. The main reason is my work radio is extremely underpowered and in a 204k sqft store I can rarely hear what I need to hear. Any recommendations for a small lightweight radio that will help me transmit/receive from everywhere in the store. The store uses the Motorola RDM2070D so I'm sure about anything will be an improvement! Thanks for the help everyone...

WB4CS

I work AP at a local Walmart in VA and have been tossing around the idea of buying a decent handheld Ham to use at work and for personal use.

Since I doubt your Wal-Mart uses ham radio frequencies, you're kind of out of luck. A ham handheld won't transmit on business/LMR/MURS frequencies. (Unless they are modified for out of band transmit, which is of course illegal to use to transmit on non-ham frequencies.)

Also, you have to look at the limitations of the system. I'm assuming your Wal-Mart also uses MURS, as most do. MURS radio service is limited to 2 watts of power. On VHF at 2 watts with a "rubber duck" antenna, you're not going to be able to adequately cover a large warehouse store without some dead spots.

MURS radios can use replacement antennas, unlike FRS radios. I'd suggest if your store's radios have removable antennas, that you find a replacement antenna that has a little more gain than the OEM antenna that comes with the radio.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Since I doubt your Wal-Mart uses ham radio frequencies, you're kind of out of luck. A ham handheld won't transmit on business/LMR/MURS frequencies. (Unless they are modified for out of band transmit, which is of course illegal to use to transmit on non-ham frequencies.)

Also, you have to look at the limitations of the system. I'm assuming your Wal-Mart also uses MURS, as most do. MURS radio service is limited to 2 watts of power. On VHF at 2 watts with a "rubber duck" antenna, you're not going to be able to adequately cover a large warehouse store without some dead spots.

MURS radios can use replacement antennas, unlike FRS radios. I'd suggest if your store's radios have removable antennas, that you find a replacement antenna that has a little more gain than the OEM antenna that comes with the radio.

Years ago, when I worked in lp at wal mart, I used my own btx-128 (radio shack) in the store with no problem, since most of our batteries wouldn't last a full shift and not enough radios to go around.
These can still be found used,

http://support.radioshack.com/support_electronics/doc62/62159.pdf

n9zas

Last edited:

sandiegosand

here are some more codes that walmart uses

Code C - Customer Service needed
Code 10 - Dry Spill
Code 20 - Wet Spill
Code 90 - Management
Code 300 - Security
Store # - Backup needed..emergency (all male employees and security) Code 99 might be the same thing

don't you love shopping at stores where they need codes to indicate someone is being held hostage, or there's a shooting, a bomb. They probably need codes because they are on MURS to hide the problem from the general public.

"code green"
"o darn another one"
"we almost went a full week without one"

Darth_vader

"Now if you radio ops out there want to have fun, most big-box stores like Kohl's, Target and sometimes K-Mart are operating illegally on GMRS unlike Wal-Mart using MURS. They just use the off the shelf GMRS 2-ways."

The Kohl's and Target in my area use standard part-90 "colour dot" LMR/business rigs, which sometimes tend to resemble F/GMRS rigs (especially the Motorola ones) but aren't. Can't say all of them do that, but they do around here.

The "silver star" frequency (467.850 MHz) tends to be where they all congregate, including those two, and can be a VERY congested channel on Vancouver's lower east side. I've counted no fewer than 8 businesses within about a 1 1/2-mile radius on there. I'm often surprised it works as well as it does, let alone at all, so for obvious reasons it can be a very interesting channel to monitor when in that part of town. Whether or not they're all licenced is a matter of speculation that I won't get into here; nevertheless, that seems to be where most of the action is.

@bill4long & 4CS --

http://forums.radioreference.com/rants/244223-walmart-murs-2.html#post2058153

^-- I couldn't make up something like the communication described in that post if I tried. Only at Wal-Mart!

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I never see anyone but lp and managers wearing ear pieces. Select few regular workers. When I shop there. I have seen wm workers take radios home and use them in public or carry them on belt lol away from wal mart off duty. I heard wm has a problem with loosing radios. Lol. I'm sure you can get that idea where they go. I see allot not carrying them at many diff wal marts is it policy they do now?

telxonmaster

It's like the portable barcode scanners they use, they leave em lying around and sticky fingered "shoppers" take em and sell em on Ebay. Probably the same with radios too. (that and employee theft as well)

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well it is a fact that the older radios walmart used some years back were somewhat deaf in the specs and only single channel and not really worth re-programming but ... now their newer moto's are more of a theft magnet now since they have better specs, and are easily reprogrammed hence, worth a little more as well. The headsets were added to combat the feedback issue when several associates were in one area and some customer complaints. Speculation is also that a secondary channel is programmed at some walmarts since the newer portables will allow scanning if enabled. ;)

n9zas

You can use some unlocked ham's, mostly the cheaper Chinese models .... i personally use my own Wouxun UVD19P (Wouxun KG-UVD1P Handheld Special Offer! $109.95 Shipped w Software & Programming Cable - Main Trading Company) or a Baofeng UV5-R (you can pick these up on amazon for 20-30ish bucks). JUST KEEP IN MIND, while these radios are commercial and HAM use low power to stay in murs power limits and consider an antenna upgrade (stocks on the baofeng are junk). And my FT-270 i unlocked as well to cover MURS channels.

The bonus is i can monitor the local ARES repeater network esp in this area during our usual extreme winter weather. And most of these types ship with a ear piece included. And his should go without saying, do not operate on ham band without your ticket. (MURS is unlicensed).

During Extreme weather i usually carry my 2m/6m HT, 2/70 HT, and a 220 along with a CB HT and in car 6/2/70 and a 10m .... its come in handy more than a few times. :)

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Mmmm, in my area (Montreal, Quebec) no Wall-Mart use radios but... Industry Canada (The canadian fcc) as decided to create the MURS service here, the same as in the U.S. and beginning in june 2014.
Moving (evicting) thousands of legitimate paying licences holder from thoses frequencies, lots of FD complaining etc...
""
In total, there may be in excess of more than 28,000 incumbent stations that could be affected by the 5 frequencies used by MURS. Some of these frequencies include those for government operations, public safety and commercial/industrial operations. It is noted that some stations are authorized on a province-wide basis""

ARCHIVED — Proposals and Changes to the Spectrum in Certain Bands Below 1.7*GHz - Spectrum Management and Telecommunications

My hunch is, it is possible that WM has done some lobbying with the government to create this service instead of simply buying some radios business licences??

On the same subject, Target will open their stores in canada in september and each stores has his own business frequency owned and listed on the Industry Canada website:

Licensee Name Search | Spectrum Direct | Industry Canada

Nick

Nice :). Now all they gotta do is reciprocate (like we have in the ham radio service between the US & Canada) it so US MURS ops can enter your limits and operate the Canadian MURS stuff, we get a band opening on them channels and listening to MURS could actually get to be fun :D :). The preceding was just in fun, but seriously, this is kinda intresting, any thoughts on wether it`ll be easier to get a radio there? Here about the only way you`re getting a MURS unit is ether on brokenstolenradios.com (AKA Ebay :)) or online somewhere or through private channels. Should be fun to watch. N9NRA

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
That's kinda what I'm thinking.

Asset Protection can be fun to listen to at times. I like being a bystander for the "bust" - always a treat to see the AP guys "get their man". I also remember once hearing a CSM frantically yelling over the radio for someone to stop a shoplifter that was running out the door. I came around the corner just in time to see two AP guys run up and get in a wrestling match with some cholo looking dude who stole (get this) a three pack of plaid boxer shorts. Awesome. You can't buy that kind of entertainment.

-AZ

FREQUENCY

I work AP at a local Walmart in VA and have been tossing around the idea of buying a decent handheld Ham to use at work and for personal use. The main reason is my work radio is extremely underpowered and in a 204k sqft store I can rarely hear what I need to hear. Any recommendations for a small lightweight radio that will help me transmit/receive from everywhere in the store. The store uses the Motorola RDM2070D so I'm sure about anything will be an improvement! Thanks for the help everyone...

Does AP use the same MURS as the managers or do they have their own? I see them walking around with the big phones all the time, wondering if they are radios or telephones. But it is great watching them peeking through peg boards and stopping people.

Status
Not open for further replies.