SDS100/SDS200: Waterfall better reception on analog?

Ncfirewire

After i did the waterfall update i noticed something strange. I have a few analog channels in my scan lists that have always come in choppy on my sds200 (other scanners they are clear) and i've tried every filter with the same results. Now when i use the waterfall when i listen to the same channels they are perfectly clear and when i go back to scanning the channels again nothing but static. I did not use the gain on the waterfall either. Can anyone else see if this is the same for you and what could cause this?

kg4ehv

I have not tried it on the waterfall yet, but analog does seem a little better on normal scanning. I've been using the waterfall for DMR listening and it seems to help it a little.

Ubbe

What options do you have to set to the waterfall feature besides the gain? If there's no submenu for it then it probably needs to set the filter to Off to make the spectrum work the best. Then try that filter setting to whatever sounds worse in normal scan.

/Ubbe

Ncfirewire

What options do you have to set to the waterfall feature besides the gain? If there's no submenu for it then it probably needs to set the filter to Off to make the spectrum work the best. Then try that filter setting to whatever sounds worse in normal scan.

/Ubbe
all the filter settings have static on those channels during scanning. They only become clear while using the waterfall (no other setrtings on the waterfall)

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Is the waterfall limited to just either 1 frequency or 1 band? I thought it would be integrated into the main screen while regular scanning is happening.

gary123

The waterfall is a separate sub function. think of it like a visual close call for a small selected chunk of the band.

petereye

Premium Subscriber
After i did the waterfall update i noticed something strange. I have a few analog channels in my scan lists that have always come in choppy on my sds200 (other scanners they are clear) and i've tried every filter with the same results. Now when i use the waterfall when i listen to the same channels they are perfectly clear and when i go back to scanning the channels again nothing but static. I did not use the gain on the waterfall either. Can anyone else see if this is the same for you and what could cause this?

petereye

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed the same thing on one of the weather frequencies that was coming in very choppy , "my old RSpro96 it was fine" go to the waterfall and it sounds fine ,very little signal but very readable . I have found the same thing on any analog ham frequencies .
I have also tried every filter combination and IFX that made no difference. I played with the gain on waterfall the signal drops out around 1or 2 but on auto gain the signals ore perfectly readable. I want Joe Bearcat to check this out . My only complaint with my sds200 is the analog reception . If it worked as well on the waterfall in normal scan mode I would be very happy. I have been wracking my brain trying all different combinations an no luck. Something is changed to the front end when in waterfall mode I hope Uniden does something about it I have also sent a message to Joe Bearcat a Uniden Rep

Last edited:

petereye

Premium Subscriber
Contact Joe Bearcat and let him know your findings he is on this forum

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
It is being looked into by the engineers. Continued discussion on the above mentioned thread.

petereye

Premium Subscriber
This sounds like Beta SUB v.1.03.04 would potentially fix your analog issue?

We are talking about it on the beta page:
SDS100/200 Motorola Type II public beta
Nope I found the same issue with fairly weak analog signal I have tried all filters and ALL firmware versions including the new beta with no change. It receives weak analog signals much better with clarity