SDS100/SDS200: SDS 100/200 Motorola Type II public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
For anyone who wants to test, there is a public beta for Motorola Type II performance at the bottom of the following pages:

They should be the third file up from the bottom of the pages.

To use this, download the file and copy it to the FIRMWARE folder on the SDS100/200, then reboot and let it update.

To return to the latest public firmware use Sentinel.

Please post reports on this thread and please only post reports here.

Last edited by a moderator:

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I added it to my SDS100 as I'm dealing with such a system. To be honest I wasn't having any issue with it (that I was aware of) prior to updating but it's in there and seems fine. I'm running with my filter off, which I was doing prior to the update also. Nothing out of the ordinary to report yet.

tvengr

Well Known Member
When I added the new firmware with the waterfall to my SDS200's, I lost audio on the digital talkgroups on the Anne County MD P16 system. I just installed the new beta sub version 1.03.03 and there is still no audio on digital talkgroups. Analog is OK.

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
When I added the new firmware with the waterfall to my SDS200's, I lost audio on the digital talkgroups on the Anne County MD P16 system. I just installed the new beta sub version 1.03.03 and there is still no audio on digital talkgroups. Analog is OK.
Try downgrading and upgrading to the beta again? I had a trippy issue on my SDS100:
  • Loaded on my SDS200, no issues and scanning works normally.
  • Loaded on my SDS100 the first go around, the P25 P1 system I normally monitor with no issues was searching endlessly for a control channel. I didn't verify analog (like NOAA weather). I rolled it back down to 1.03.02 Sub and the P25 P1 system came up immediately. Upgraded it again to the 1.03.03 Sub beta, and the P25 P1 system came right up.

Dewey

I am sorry to report that I am hearing the same as both of the earlier "new" releases (Charles County Trunking System, Various, Maryland). I have not tried going through the filters yet, but it is my next move. I'm pessimistic concerning the filters since receiving does not appear to be the problem, the signal is solid and loud and clear during the first few seconds of each transmission but a decoding problem.

Dewey

Sorry, but I just can't get it to decode better. I've attached samples of the 200 vs the 536, both holding on a single talkgroup (channel) and running through an Electroline drop amp to the same rooftop antenna (my standard home setup I've used for about 20 years... of course before both the SDS and BCD model days). Another thing I can work on which may work better is to send one scanner's audio to the left channel and the other scanner's audio to the right channel of a stereo file which should really help in comparing the two samples. One final note... I already rolled back the SDS100 to SDS-100_V1_21_00.bin / SDS-100-SUB_V1_02_01.firm, and noticed that it does not auto-delete the bin file after rebooting, I've tried twice.

Attachments

• BetaFirmwareSamples.zip
    973.2 KB · Views: 32

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I did a road test through southern Sussex County testing the beta sub firmware on the Delaware SmartZone P25 voice monitoring the Sussex simulcast site. Unfortunately, it is not much of an improvement to the most recent production firmware. With filters off, many transmissions will start but not complete before dropping, but sometimes the transmission will come back with some degradation. Noticeable DEC errors when this occurs. However It does perform better that the production firmware, but still is not acceptable. The Wide Invert filter seems to improve performance to some extent, but does not eliminate all call breakups.

dstegner

I tried the beta sub and unfortunately still have the same issues with SmartZone in the central Virginia area. As with the upgrade, TAC channels work fine but Dispatch breaks up. I have had to roll back to pre-upgrade which works with no issues.

I have two SDS200s and a SDS100 and all are experiencing the same issue. The system I am monitoring is Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield in Virginia. Seems to work ok on the VA state trunking system.

Last edited:

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
Finally had a chance to try the beta firmware on an SDS100. With the new firmware _02 reception was the same or possibly a tad better. With _03 it was definitely worse with less traffic on weaker sites.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I can add that the Wide Normal filter does not work at all from well inside the simulcast site's service area. It will work - poorly - in fringe areas. Invert Auto restores reception, but with breakups from within the site.

Last edited:

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Adding this, here are the notes of what was done for the sub 1.03.3 beta:
This test version changes 4FSK Filter to Least Square Method to improve Motorola Type II.
It is not limited for test the Motorola Type II issue, also for people who experience poor reception of other digital systems.

dstegner

I have been trying out the latest beta posted 1/12/24. So far it seems to be working well on the SmartZone system that I listen to (Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield). No issues noted so far! I am using both the sub 1.03.3 and the main 1.23.03A. Have noted that the SDS200 consistently uses 4FSK for demod of the SmartZone system.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I didn't see that there was an updated beta published on the 12th. I will test it tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.