Weak signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOK5CY

I've noticed lately that the incoming signal on our 996p2 has become low from a 3 bar to occasional 1 . so I did some research on what's the best cable and this is what I found
RG6 3ghz shielded solid copper on eBay .

I'm currently using RG8X but not listening to someone else has caused me to get some input from anyone on here before I spend $$ again .

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
We cant help you unless you tell us who your trying to listen to? Just the weather by its self will cause shifts in signal + plus lots of other reasons. Dont go out a buy new cable just yet, and please dont buy cable off ebay...ever.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Higher frequencies require cable with lower loss. But you didn't write what is the highest frequency you want to receive. At lower frequencies, there may be no advantage to RG6 vs RG8x. But at higher frequencies RG6 is going to be much less loss than the RG8x.

KOK5CY

My bad about not posting the band I listen to . 800 trunked ( Miami and Grove site's ) . Here is the issue I've been using the RG8X now almost a year and now I've been getting weak signal and it varies between 3 to 1 on incoming signal . so further test I switched to the telescoping antenna and signal be come much stronger . my connection at the set is all fine . so that's what is going on . it's not the antenna either because I can receive Vhf fine and clear . My connection at the antenna is sealed so no moisture is getting in .

Someone said don't buy cable off eBay ? .

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
My bad about not posting the band I listen to . 800 trunked ( Miami and Grove site's ) . Here is the issue I've been using the RG8X now almost a year and now I've been getting weak signal and it varies between 3 to 1 on incoming signal . so further test I switched to the telescoping antenna and signal be come much stronger . my connection at the set is all fine . so that's what is going on . it's not the antenna either because I can receive Vhf fine and clear . My connection at the antenna is sealed so no moisture is getting in .

Someone said don't buy cable off eBay ? .

Is the signal loss constant or does it come and and go during certain times of the day?

I use theantennafarm.com to custom make my cables. Never a single issue and plenty of choices. Spend the extra money and do it right esp if your only going 15ft as your signature suggests.

KOK5CY

Is the signal loss constant or does it come and and go during certain times of the day?

I use theantennafarm.com to custom make my cables. Never a single issue and plenty of choices. Spend the extra money and do it right esp if your only going 15ft as your signature suggests.
No it's constant . it's my coax that's the issue . I can receive the Miami 800 trunked site on my supplied telescoping antenna better that my outside antenna . so it'll be the coax RG8X . so for now the back of antenna I'll use till I find the correct coax cable .

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Make sure the weather hasn't beat up your antenna, one loss of a piece of structure will cause a receive issue as well.

KOK5CY

Ok I'll pull it down today and give it a looking over .

Now I can't afford the better coax like everyone else has . Every time I use Google to find good quality RG6 it keeps coming back with Lowe's and Walmart . I know I need low loss and either dual shield or quad shield .

KOK5CY

Antenna is clean and nothing broken . even ran a ohms meter and shows good . The coax does show bad that's why I'm having 1 or 2 bar's of incoming signal from the Miami site . so I'll be looking for RG6U soon .

nd5y

You know how with a hand held or mobile radio you can move a short distance and go from strong to weak or no signal? The same thing is true with base antennas. It could be in a bad spot for what you want to receive.

If possible try moving it vertically or horizontally a foot or so and see if the signal strength changes.

KOK5CY

Placed the tips of my meter leads on the center contacts of the ends and did not 0 out like it's supposed to . Reading was 0.01 to 0.05 .

I did reconnect the coax and raised the antenna to 5ft and did not change the incoming signal . like I've stated the telescoping antenna gives a 3 bar signal vs outdoor at a 1& 2 .

There are no tree's or obstructions in the way .

I'm going to just leave it alone till I find the correct coax .

KOK5CY

Ok I've been experimenting with different antennas for a few hours . I have my PSR600 set up near a living room window and using a telescoping antenna and I'm receiving the Off the Grove site . But when I check my 996p2 at the same time I'm not receiving the same radio traffic . I know the tower site have different frequencies but still should receive some traffic .

That's why I say the coax is junk and im getting RG6 .

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Did you zero the leads before making the measurements? The values you see could be the probes contact resistance. I don't think the values indicate bad coax but the coax could be contaminated. We're the coax connectors waterproofed? If not then it could be bad.
BB

KOK5CY

I had the coax ends checked by a friend of mine just to make sure I was correct and they were bad . Yes both ends were sealed . I even have it hooked back up and the signal coming in is 1 bar instead of a 3 . so for now I'll just leave it be till I find a good quality RG6 U with quality ends .

Walmart doesn't have it . Either does RS . last place is EBay .

KOK5CY

No need to buy coax . found a 1/4 wave vhf mobile antenna with RG58 dual shield I had put away . hooked it up and it's receiving the trunked site's and vhf just fine .

bbpowers92

Premium Subscriber
I had the coax ends checked by a friend of mine just to make sure I was correct and they were bad . Yes both ends were sealed . I even have it hooked back up and the signal coming in is 1 bar instead of a 3 . so for now I'll just leave it be till I find a good quality RG6 U with quality ends .

Walmart doesn't have it . Either does RS . last place is EBay .
There is seller on ebay : theantennafarm, that has probably the best quality coax and customer service. i've purchased many items from them and have yet to come across something negative. Just giving some input, hope you find what you need.

Dog

There is seller on ebay : theantennafarm, that has probably the best quality coax and customer service. i've purchased many items from them and have yet to come across something negative. Just giving some input, hope you find what you need.
This is probably the same company. The Antenna Farm I am looking into buying coax from them in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.