Wegmans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben830

Does anyone know the freq. they use for their radios for the McKinley Pkwy. store in Blasdell,NY?
I did a search and found them only for their locations in Rochester.
Thanks.

RF-Burns

Does anyone know the freq. they use for their radios for the McKinley Pkwy. store in Blasdell,NY?
I did a search and found them only for their locations in Rochester.
Thanks.

All the stores in Rochester use an internal digital TDMA system that no scanner can pick up. As for the Buffalo Stores I guess I'm not to sure.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
All the stores in Rochester use an internal digital TDMA system that no scanner can pick up. As for the Buffalo Stores I guess I'm not to sure.

A digital System just for a grecery store? wow seems like a simplex system would have been cheaper ans easier

k2hz

Database Admin
A digital System just for a grecery store? wow seems like a simplex system would have been cheaper ans easier

Unless they have changed recently, they have used the Nortel "Companion" wireless PBX system for many years. It is basically a private PCS cellular network that works with their corporate phone system. It is TDMA in the "Unlicensed" PCS band.

The Companion handsets have all the features of digital desk phone. It is like taking your office phone with you when you go anywhere in range of the corporate network. There is an optional headset for the Companion if you need hands free.

They may sometimes use FRS radios for the "helping hands" people that round up carts in the parking lot but the supervisors and managers have a phone on their belt.

RF-Burns

I guess I should have made myself more clear. Thanks for explaining what I should have in the beginning. Merry Christmas.

Unless they have changed recently, they have used the Nortel "Companion" wireless PBX system for many years. It is basically a private PCS cellular network that works with their corporate phone system. It is TDMA in the "Unlicensed" PCS band.

The Companion handsets have all the features of digital desk phone. It is like taking your office phone with you when you go anywhere in range of the corporate network. There is an optional headset for the Companion if you need hands free.

They may sometimes use FRS radios for the "helping hands" people that round up carts in the parking lot but the supervisors and managers have a phone on their belt.

D

DaveNF2G

They were using an areawide repeater frequency for Loss Prevention, but my last contact with that was more than 10 years ago.

k2hz

Database Admin
They were using an areawide repeater frequency for Loss Prevention, but my last contact with that was more than 10 years ago.
I have heard nothing on that frequency for years.

Wegmans does use some conventional and trunked frequencies at their distribution center and headquarters in Gates. Nothing interesting, just truck mechanics and warehouse operations.

Ben830

I did notice that they did have phones, but they were also using radios to call for cleanups

k2hz

Database Admin
I did notice that they did have phones, but they were also using radios to call for cleanups

I saw something new at the Pittsford Wegmans today. All the supervisors had both the Companion phone and a Mag One BPR40 radio on their belt. The BPR40s had headsets. The antenna was thick and looked like a VHF stubby but it could be UHF.

The Wegmans FCC licenses are all for their Distribution Centers in the Rochester area and Pottsville PA. I don't see any license that would cover general use of the BPR40s. If VHF, they might be on the MURS channels.

Some of the stock people had a different model radio, also with a headset, that I did not recognize. It was similar to a Motorola Talkabout but not quite like one I had seen before.

The Wegamans "Loss Prevention" 463.575 that no longer seems to be active license is just for a base on their Brooks Ave warehouse with 2 mobiles and 8 portables. I recently saw 2 Wegmans marked security cars and neither had an antenna or radio.

Jake911

Wegmans frequency

Hey I know this thread is old but I wanted to update you guys, we use CP185 all the retail stores have got a radio communication upgrade Im not going to give away my location for security reasons but im in the buffalo area my store has to channels, channel 1- helpinghands/frontend(pretty much anyone with a radio is on this channel and we also have channel 2 which is maintenance. We only have those two channels the rest are disabled. Im still working on getting the frequency they are UHF antennas on the Motorola cp185, havnt cracked the frequency yet.

Jake911

UPDATE

We use a in-store repeater and we have a voice scrambler and a unscannable frequency, are radios cant be messed with. Unless the radio is programmed by the store you cant hear us and we cant hear you. I'm surprised we have a system that is so secretive but then again are radio system is so that we can use it for business and not messing around.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I'm amused. The CP185 uses simple voice inversion, which is pretty easily monitored with software that has been available for years. As far as the "unscannable frequency" and other comments...:lol:

scosgt

You guys beat me to it. Press the button while I have a close call or similar scanner handy and I will know the frequency. Unless they are encrypted, it can be scanned.

Status
Not open for further replies.