Weird Problem... With MARCS Towers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioTech19

I have kinda a weird problem on my hands... I will do my best to explain.

I want to monitor the sheriffs office in the county next too me. I get service on my PRO-106 on MARCS in that county. However, I believe the radio locks onto the closer towers causing the talkgroup I want hear not to come into my radio. Does anyone know how to set that one talkgroup to look specifically at the tower in that county? I can't hear it because my radio is locking onto the towers in my county; which is what I mainly listen too so I can't rid of it.

If no one understands, I will try to explain farther.

Thanks!
:roll:

ibagli

Create a separate trunked system object with just that site's control channel(s), and create a talkgroup object for the sheriff's office talkgroup that's affiliated with that system instead of your main MARCS system.

RadioTech19

Awesome! I was able to get the second system programmed. I have a PRO-106 with an 800MhZ antenna.. I am getting just enough signal to hear broken traffic. I have tried moving the radio around.. with the same results.. any ideas?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Awesome! I was able to get the second system programmed. I have a PRO-106 with an 800MhZ antenna.. I am getting just enough signal to hear broken traffic. I have tried moving the radio around.. with the same results.. any ideas?

We've had this discussion with you before, in this thread:

http://forums.radioreference.com/ohio-radio-discussion-forum/223740-border-county-cc.html

The answers are still the same; you need a good outdoor antenna.

Since you live in SE Ohio (Meigs County) where there are lots of hills and valleys, there is virtually no way you're going to pick up a tower in Athens, Gallia or Vinton counties without one.

You're generally only going to reliably get about 5-10 miles range with a typical handheld scanner antenna. Even in flat terrain in the center of county A, you're still going to be hard pressed to pick up a 700/800 MHz site at least 10 miles away in County B.

If you're solely interested in 700/800 MHz a single-band gain antenna about 15 feet off the ground with the shortest feed line run possible would probably do the trick. For all-band reception, I'd go at least 10 feet higher, as multi-band outdoor scanner antennas are typically pretty good at VHF/UHF but somewhat lacking at 800 MHz.

Last edited:

RadioTech19

We've had this discussion with you before, in this thread:

http://forums.radioreference.com/ohio-radio-discussion-forum/223740-border-county-cc.html

The answers are still the same; you need a good outdoor antenna.

Since you live in SE Ohio (Meigs County) where there are lots of hills and valleys, there is virtually no way you're going to pick up a tower in Athens, Gallia or Vinton counties without one.

You're generally only going to reliably get about 5-10 miles range with a typical handheld scanner antenna. Even in flat terrain in the center of county A, you're still going to be hard pressed to pick up a 700/800 MHz site at least 10 miles away in County B.

If you're solely interested in 700/800 MHz a single-band gain antenna about 15 feet off the ground with the shortest feed line run possible would probably do the trick. For all-band reception, I'd go at least 10 feet higher, as multi-band outdoor scanner antennas are typically pretty good at VHF/UHF but somewhat lacking at 800 MHz.

Yes, I believe that it may have been a similar post. I really want to put up an outdoor antenna, however the other half isn't very fond of the idea. I'm really kind of stuck if you ask me.

Swipesy

I have came across the following antenna...

https://www.scannermaster.com/Laird_B8065_Antenna_806_866_MHz_5db_Gain_p/20-540972.htm

If I get a mag mount and put this antenna on a high shelf... do you think I could get a last mile reception?

You are looking at spending $80.00 for an antenna meant for mobile and when you are all done spending the $80.00 it will not perform any better indoors than the $20.00 Radio Shack 800 rubber duck. Listen to what others have told you. Use an outside antenna or just use the RS 800 rubber duck. The people who advised you in other posts know what they are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.