West Texas Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
On 12-2-21, I traveled to Big Spring, Texas. I recorded this trip on my 436HP. I started this recording in Evant County and ended such in Sterling County. When I arrived in Big Spring, I started another recording, parking on the Federal Prison.

Today, I submitted a correction to Runnels SO, 155.655. I believe my poor eyesight and small screen of the 436HP contributed to my mistake. The correct NAC is 300. My recording included an interchange between dispatch and a SO unit.

I also heard a transmission on 155.385 which is identified as "Ballinger Hospital District when I was in said county. The NAC was 6E1. Since the transmission was extremely short, I will do more field observation before submission.

When I was monitoring the Federal Prison in Big Spring, Texas, the following talk groups showed up: 3 (silent); 7 (conversations were about opening gates within the compound) and 16 (sounded like low power radios).

Although I worked in TDCJ for over 22 years, I am completely unfamiliar with the protocol & structure of security parameters. I hope to get a SDS 100/200 in the near future to possibly improve the audio. I am stone cold deaf from Motorhead concerts. I might even know a prison guard in town. I will check with some friends.

I traveled on highway 84, 67, 158 and 87. I made a big mistake by stacking conventional frequencies with other routes in one Favorite. I recorded this trip using the search audio option.

The next time, I am going to construct three different Favorites for highway 6, 36, and the aforementioned route. Then, the alpha tags will make it easier for me to differentiate what I am hearing.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
On 12-2-21, I traveled to Big Spring, Texas. I recorded this trip on my 436HP. I started this recording in Evant County and ended such in Sterling County. When I arrived in Big Spring, I started another recording, parking on the Federal Prison.

Today, I submitted a correction to Runnels SO, 155.655. I believe my poor eyesight and small screen of the 436HP contributed to my mistake. The correct NAC is 300. My recording included an interchange between dispatch and a SO unit.

I also heard a transmission on 155.385 which is identified as "Ballinger Hospital District when I was in said county. The NAC was 6E1. Since the transmission was extremely short, I will do more field observation before submission.

When I was monitoring the Federal Prison in Big Spring, Texas, the following talk groups showed up: 3 (silent); 7 (conversations were about opening gates within the compound) and 16 (sounded like low power radios).

Although I worked in TDCJ for over 22 years, I am completely unfamiliar with the protocol & structure of security parameters. I hope to get a SDS 100/200 in the near future to possibly improve the audio. I am stone cold deaf from Motorhead concerts. I might even know a prison guard in town. I will check with some friends.

I traveled on highway 84, 67, 158 and 87. I made a big mistake by stacking conventional frequencies with other routes in one Favorite. I recorded this trip using the search audio option.

The next time, I am going to construct three different Favorites for highway 6, 36, and the aforementioned route. Then, the alpha tags will make it easier for me to differentiate what I am hearing.
Are you playing back your recordings via the scanner, or on your PC?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Are you playing back your recordings via the scanner, or on your PC?

On the scanner. I've tried the other way, but I cannot observe the information that I see on the screen. I have pictures of each of these captures.

The one that puzzled me the most was 155.655. It showed a NAC of 411h. I have looked up entities associated with this frequency and found Sterling and Runnels. I also picked up Tom Green SO, 155.70, NAC of 226, but that was not unusual since I was fairly close to SA.

Attachments

• Small 11.jpg
    Small 11.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Runnels.jpg
    Runnels.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 28
  • 20211204_121305.jpg
    20211204_121305.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20211204_140002.jpg
    20211204_140002.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20211204_140135.jpg
    20211204_140135.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
On the scanner. I've tried the other way, but I cannot observe the information that I see on the screen. I have pictures of each of these captures.

The one that puzzled me the most was 155.655. It showed a NAC of 411h. I have looked up entities associated with this frequency and found Sterling and Runnels. I also picked up Tom Green SO, 155.70, NAC of 226, but that was not unusual since I was fairly close to SA.
I've started using the Universal Scanner Audio Player. I get the details I want, versus just trying to play the recordings via the media player in a PC.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I am unfamiliar with the Universal Scanner Audio Player. I have listened to the recordings with my laptop; however, I don't usually see things like NAC, etc. to assist me in ID channels and/or TGs. I employ dogged persistence when I want something done. My cognitive circuits are quickly tapped when I go beyond my level of understanding, LOL.

We have been corresponding for many years now. You can surely attest to how long it takes me to assimilate new information into my pea-size brain. I am far too right-brain dominant. I have own my 436HP for a very long time. I greatly appreciate your patience. It is very embarrassing to ask folks in forums basic questions that most people seem to grasp. This is why I like email.

In the recent past, someone in this forum phrased an answer in a way that I could understand. Bingo. Then, I learned how to use startup keys.

Hence, my role in RR is to observe the behavior of the radio in the field. I will leave the system analysis to the experts. I am throwing in that towel. I gave up on SDR. I will be gifting this rig to my friend in Austin.

HiddenLefty

I frequently run the SDS 200 with me and I've been fairly impressed with the ability to change the text color to be able to see things better. I don't care if it looks like rainbow puke to anyone else if I can read it and know what is what quickly! This thing just keeps on finding stuff too. There's probably not a significant portion of Texas I haven't heard either in person or due to some kind of propagation at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.