IC-R15 - First Impressions

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
I use RT Systems Software to program my R15. I reported a problem on Monday morning (Aug 5th), Will got back to me within an hour asking for additional information plus he requested that I send him my programming so they could test with what was causing a problem.

The problem was -> If you put an EDGE SCAN entry in your programming, it doesn't correctly write the TUNING STEP or MODE to the receiver. It also doesn't correctly read EDGE SCAN entries from your receiver into the software.

Will and his programming team jumped on the problem, kept me updated with their progress AND they issued the fix for the problem around 5pm today (Aug 7th).

I consider this fast and excellent customer service.

You can get the fix by simply running the CHECK FOR UPDATES under the HELP command at the top of the page.

KB2GOM

I use RT Systems Software to program my R15. I reported a problem on Monday morning (Aug 5th), Will got back to me within an hour asking for additional information plus he requested that I send him my programming so they could test with what was causing a problem.

The problem was -> If you put an EDGE SCAN entry in your programming, it doesn't correctly write the TUNING STEP or MODE to the receiver. It also doesn't correctly read EDGE SCAN entries from your receiver into the software.

Will and his programming team jumped on the problem, kept me updated with their progress AND they issued the fix for the problem around 5pm today (Aug 7th).

You can get the fix by simply running the CHECK FOR UPDATES under the HELP command at the top of the page.
I was programming another radio on a Saturday using an RT systems product, emailed a question and got a response within a couple of hours. I have always found them to be very responsive, and for me anyway, that makes spending the money on their systems worth it.

xms3200

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased a used Yupiteru MVT-7100 from eBay U.K. It should be here in the nest 10 days, can't wait to compare the IC-R15 with the 7100. Heard so many good reviews on the Yupiteru, I know the tech is 20 years old. The IC-R15 has a very fast scan rate of 150 channels/sec vs 30 channels/sec for the Yupiteru. Guess I will know very soon.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber

I was programming another radio on a Saturday using an RT systems product, emailed a question and got a response within a couple of hours. I have always found them to be very responsive, and for me anyway, that makes spending the money on their systems worth it.

The same happened to me last week with the R30 programmer. Will and his team fixed it within 2 hours and an update was available. Hats off to RT Systems.

KD9KSO

It is a great radio. I find my AR8200 MkIII and ICOM R20 missing so many calls, I just use them as intended now, for monitoring a single frequency. The R15 doesn't miss much.

xms3200

Premium Subscriber
I agree 100%, the scan is 150 channels/sec and together with the sensitivity and great display, it is going to be the best thing for VHF airband, and I am sure railroad which I do not monitor.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased a used Yupiteru MVT-7100 from eBay U.K. It should be here in the nest 10 days, can't wait to compare the IC-R15 with the 7100. Heard so many good reviews on the Yupiteru, I know the tech is 20 years old. The IC-R15 has a very fast scan rate of 150 channels/sec vs 30 channels/sec for the Yupiteru. Guess I will know very soon.
I have two 7100s and I will never part with them. Best aviation scanner I have ever owned.

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
Actually, yes you can. Have you read about why the Yupi is considered to be one of the gold standards for aviation listening?

xms3200

Premium Subscriber
I know how highly respected it i was during the day, and yes, a lot of people still hold on to their Yupiteru’s very closely. The features nowadays are hard to beat, and it is a pity the company does not exist anymore.

N3CI

Premium Subscriber
i have been running the R15 primarily on aviation freqs and am impressed with the sensitivity, interference rejection, and audio quality.
Plan to compare it with the ID52 which been my primary receiver until I purchased the R15.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
The R15 looks like a nice radio but there is no mil air activity in my area and rail is so so that leaves me with 118-138 air band. Since i already own a ID52/R30/8600 i'm not sure the R15 would do significantly better than any of these three to warrant the purchase of the R15.

bearcatrp

The R15 looks like a nice radio but there is no mil air activity in my area and rail is so so that leaves me with 118-138 air band. Since i already own a ID52/R30/8600 i'm not sure the R15 would do significantly better than any of these three to warrant the purchase of the R15.
Me too. Am happy with my R30 for air band plus P25. Same with my R8600. Unless Icom comes out with an upgraded R30, won’t need to buy another handheld radio.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
The programmer would not import RF Gain value and after the import the RF Gain value was set to 1 for each channel.