What is "emergency communications"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No one needs some random dude with a Baofeng getting in the way.

To expand on this, my retired coworker dose a lot more than just talk on the radio. They are active in search and rescue as well as a few other disciplines. Again, some random guy with a radio doesn't help much. You really have to have more tools in your tool box than just a radio if you want to really help.

KB2GOM

You really have to have more tools in your tool box than just a radio if you want to really help.

Perhaps one of the key differences is that the folks who really want to help think about (1) What problem am I trying to solve? and (2) What skills/tools do I need to come alongside and help solve that problem? They then set about acquiring the necessaries before the problem happens and the tools and skills have to be put to use.

kayleesdad

G2B02 (B)
What is the first thing you should do if you are communicating with another amateur station and hear a station
in distress break in?
A. Continue your communication because you were on the frequency first
B. Acknowledge the station in distress and determine what assistance may be needed
C. Change to a different frequency
D. Immediately cease all transmissions

Our net the other night was torn between B and D, and a few didnt like the question and are suggesting it be changed. Most settled on B. It would take some training to help someone.

SuperG900

WG5ENE
G2B02 (B)
What is the first thing you should do if you are communicating with another amateur station and hear a station
in distress break in?
B. Acknowledge the station in distress and determine what assistance may be needed

Our net the other night was torn between B and D, and a few didnt like the question and are suggesting it be changed. Most settled on B. It would take some training to help someone.

B is the better answer over D - simply ceasing communications may make it possible for for a station in distress to contact some other station, but B is being proactive about it.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'm confused as to why B wouldn't be the obvious answer, at least until it was clear the emergency call was being handled. If everyone picks C or D, then no emergency calls are going to get handled, which totally defeats one of the main purposes of amateur radio.

And I'm amazed one of the answers isn't a modified check-in-with-the-net protocol in which potential aiding stations attempt to check in with the emergency caller, and if successful, offer a quick summary of aid options available. There's a well-established protocol for initiating a group discussion of the proper way to sharpen a lawnmower blade or the relative merits of various hemorrhoid creams, but not one for the proper way to respond to a distress call popping up during a QSO?

ecps92

B would be obvious for a QSO
D would be better if it is an Organized NET to let NET Control know and attempt contact vs a duck shoot
B is the better answer over D - simply ceasing communications may make it possible for for a station in distress to contact some other station, but B is being proactive about it.

WB9YBM

G2B02 (B)
in distress break in?

"D" as far as general chit-chat is concerned; but "B" for whoever's turn it is to talk or is best able to provide help (like a base station that doesn't have his hands full with driving and is near a 'phone). Although that's just a guess on my part--someone like the ARRL, ARES, REACT, or other more "official" entity would most likely have worked out a solution that's better than mine...

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Whenever we have our weekly directed club net, or during the weekly ARES net, we request at the beginning of the Preamble that participants leave at least five seconds before transmitting to provide an opportunity for a distress/emergency call be made.

Once such an emergency transmission has been received, the net is immediately suspended and net control will pass the frequency over to the station calling, and allow them to clarify their request. The NCS and distress station are the only ones authorized to use the frequency unless NCS passes control to whomever may be in the best position to provide assistance.

Once the emergency has been handled, NCS will announce so and the net will resume from where it was suspended. During times when no net is in operation, there are at least six of us who monitor 146.52 and 446.00 for any emergency or travelers assistance calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.