SDS100/SDS200: What is the difference with all the filters in the sds100 scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubbe

It was UPMan who originally suggested to try FM instead of NFM when having problem, even on digital signals as the squelch are still active in digital mode. The receiver are not the best one and will sometime require user intervention with filters, IFX and modulation changes and everything that could affect reception like squelch settings. It's the price to pay for having simulcast capacity, a more demanding scanner that are not just plug&play.

/Ubbe

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
All of these responses have been fantastic. My SDS 100 is performing very well. With one very minor exception.

All but one of the UHF-Hi conventional frequencies I’ve updated to FM and “wide normal” are coming in great in this case I am less Than a mile from one of the repeaters. Ive tried some of the other filters and no matter what it seems scratchy and weaker than it is on an analog scanner.

Any suggestions on this one? It’s the NYS Thruway Radio System which is a bit of an unusual one. Alternating repeaters every so many miles. Two different frequencies. My first thought was to go with the further one. But they both seem to come in poorly!

Thank you!

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
All of these responses have been fantastic. My SDS 100 is performing very well. With one very minor exception.

All but one of the UHF-Hi conventional frequencies I’ve updated to FM and “wide normal” are coming in great in this case I am less Than a mile from one of the repeaters. Ive tried some of the other filters and no matter what it seems scratchy and weaker than it is on an analog scanner.

Any suggestions on this one? It’s the NYS Thruway Radio System which is a bit of an unusual one. Alternating repeaters every so many miles. Two different frequencies. My first thought was to go with the further one. But they both seem to come in poorly!

Thank you!

Analog system? Trunking or conventional? Frequency range?

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Update! IFX does not seem to help much in monitoring this system. I’m wondering if there may be some other kind of “interference” locally? Possibly in-house” or nearby. I think this will have to wait until I can do some local field tests.

There is a cell tower nearby. But according to RR using lat/long nothing is licensed there. Doesn’t mean…. I also wonder if something with the SDS doesn’t like the systems two repeaters competing with each other? Probably not the case.

I’m going to have to dig a little deeper

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Update! IFX does not seem to help much in monitoring this system. I’m wondering if there may be some other kind of “interference” locally? Possibly in-house” or nearby. I think this will have to wait until I can do some local field tests.

There is a cell tower nearby. But according to RR using lat/long nothing is licensed there. Doesn’t mean…. I also wonder if something with the SDS doesn’t like the systems two repeaters competing with each other? Probably not the case.

I’m going to have to dig a little deeper

Go in reverse...turn everything off, return it to Auto or NFM Modulation, then on again one at a time. Since it's the same frequency range, you might have to create it's own separate Department to isolate these two frequencies. Try a different filter setting for them too.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Go in reverse...turn everything off, return it to Auto or NFM Modulation, then on again one at a time. Since it's the same frequency range, you might have to create it's own separate Department to isolate these two frequencies. Try a different filter setting for them too.
Ok. I’ll try this. Thank you!

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Just clarifying. “Turning off” or adjusting the modulation. Ok. What about the filters? Like all the other 450 460 it’s on “wide normal.” Thanks.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Just clarifying. “Turning off” or adjusting the modulation. Ok. What about the filters? Like all the other 450 460 it’s on “wide normal.” Thanks.

If it isn't working for those two frequencies, set up a new Department with those two frequencies in, set Filters to Off, set Modulation to Auto and see what happens. Try IFX too. You can always delete if it doesn't work, no harm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.