• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

commscanaus

Hello All,

This system? appeared just very recently on a 470Mhz channel, which has good signal strength to my location.
It sounds like an idle EDACS 9.6Kbps control channel, then what sounds like some sort of digital modulation interrupts the data stream. I have not heard this sort of modulation before.
We have EDACS analogue trunking @ 800Mhz used here locally, but this seems to only use one channel pair- with the input 5.2Mhz above the output.

I apologize if posting an attatchment is against the group rules- but it is the only way I can properly illustrate what I am hearing.

Is this Provoice or Aegis?

I have tried programming my UBCD396T with this frequency as an EDACS SCAT system which results in the control channel muting and only the digital bursts passing through the speaker. Interestingly, no talkgroup info is displayed. If there is only one group of users- then what is the purpose of the control channel? - assuming that is what is being transmitted.

There is no expectation that I can decode the voice- encrypted or otherwise.

Thanks, Commscanaus!

Attachments

• Unknown.zip
    194.8 KB · Views: 82

morganAL

A SCAT site running mobile data? At least that is what it sounds like. That would explain why your scanner does not decode TG info. A lot of mobile data apps that run on EDACS do I-calls for data instead of group data calls.

bassmkenk2508

That "data interruption" is definitely a ProVoice transmission. And, yea, by the sound of it, it is a SCAT site.

It is not neccessarily "one" group of users... can be two three or whatever number of groups. But they just cant transmit at the same time. They will get a busy signal if they try to.

Last edited:

commscanaus

Thanks very much for the replies!

I had suspected a data transmission- as used by mobile terminals.

Voice transmssions are what I really think this is- and the channel is busy 24hrs 7 days, so it is probably a security company. I agree with bassmkenk2508- a SCAT site running Provoice. This is the first of such protocols to be used locally and would not be surprised if it takes over from the analogue EDACS systems we have on 800Mhz eventually.

Perhaps we could see Opensky used here as well? Motorola are promoting and trialling a TETRA network on 800Mhz now.

Regards, Commscanaus.

bassmkenk2508

it is M/A-COM's proprietary digital voice transmission. No scanner can track the transmission or decode it into audible voice.

You may think of it as P25 's little, evil cousin... lol (b/c we can listen in on P25, but not ProVoice :lol: ). I do at least.

For more ProVoice info, see this wiki link: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/EDACS_Provoice or search/browse the M/A-COM forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.