What uniden scanner would be best to buy

Gftbvv

Hello my name is Alex and I am from st. Charles MO i have always wanted to be an EMT and have always loved listening to my scanner app. I have been wanoting to upgrade to a real scanner but have no clue which to buy. We have a p25 trunking system for our fire ems i also think it’s a simulcast system but not confident about that. Ive been looking for a while on getting my first scanner but have no clue what I’m really looking for. I’ve reached out to people but no one gets back to me about this. Can anyone help me on which scanner to buy. I’ll paste the channels i want to listen to. Thank you!!

St Charles County Department of Dispatch and Alarm (SCDDA)​

SCCDA 15 - VFIRE 21 154.280 Standard Fire Mutual Aid (at present, this is what out-of-County units respond in on).
SCCDA 16 - 7FIRE84D 773.856250 Simplex Fire Ground
DECHEXModeAlpha TagDescriptionTag
27034699aDSCC FE DispatchTone Outs/Pages (Non call related traffic w/ dispatch)Fire Dispatch
27035699bDSCC FE OpsFire/EMS: Dispatch (Routine Minor calls)Fire Dispatch
27036699cDSCC FE-Tac 60Secondary Scene 60 (Paired with 61)Fire-Tac
27037699dDSCC FE Tac 61Fire/EMS: Primary 61 (Major Call)Fire-Tac

GM

Premium Subscriber
I will second the statement above: only purchase a Uniden SDS100 or 200 model. Anything else, and you will be disappointed as the other older scanners suffer from simulcast distortion and overload near cell towers. The older scanners WILL have trouble decoding 100% of the radio transmissions, so just go with the best and purchase an SDS100/200 scanner. If you have any further questions, you can send me a Private Message on this site, or e-mail me directly at: madgreg81@yahoo.com

Gftbvv

I will second the statement above: only purchase a Uniden SDS100 or 200 model. Anything else, and you will be disappointed as the other older scanners suffer from simulcast distortion and overload near cell towers. The older scanners WILL have trouble decoding 100% of the radio transmissions, so just go with the best and purchase an SDS100/200 scanner. If you have any further questions, you can send me a Private Message on this site, or e-mail me directly at: madgreg81@yahoo.com
the sds100 will work for scanning my county’s fire ems (the frequencies I listed) correct? I just want to Ask this before I spend the money and can’t return it. Thank you so much for helping tho!!

GM

Premium Subscriber
I would not recommend the BCD436HP because of potential simulcast distortion issues. I had one in the past, and it did not work 100% of the time. Many transmissions got skipped over (didn't decode) because of simulcast distortion. I have not had any issues with the SDS100 or 200 series of radios. I just sold off my older scanners that were manufactured previous to the SDS series of radios (2018) since they do not handle simulcast distortion well. And looking at the database for St Charles County, you should be fine with scanning them since they are listed as D in the mode column. That indicates P25 Phase 1 and the SDS100 will also decode P25 Phase 2 if/when a switch-over is made in the future.

Last edited:

Gftbvv

I would not recommend the BCD436HP because of potential simulcast distortion issues. I had one in the past, and it did not work 100% of the time. Many transmissions got skipped over (didn't decode) because of simulcast distortion. I have not had any issues with the SDS100 or 200 series of radios. I just sold off my older scanners that were manufactured previous to the SDS series of radios (2018) since they do not handle simulcast distortion well. And looking at the database for St Charles County, you should be fine with scanning them since they are listed as D in the mode column. That indicates P25 Phase 1 and the SDS100 will decode P25 Phase 2 if/when a switch-over is made in the future.
Thank you so much I appreciate it a lot!!

tvengr

Well Known Member
St Charles County on the SLATER system uses a 6-tower simulcast site. The site actually consists of 6 subsites all transmitting on the same frequency at the same time. The signals arrive at your scanner at slightly different times which degrades the ability of the scanner to properly decode the control channel. The simulcast distortion results in missed transmissions, dropouts, and garbled audio. The only scanners specifically designed to receive simulcast sites are the Uniden SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base/mobile. They are the only scanners which will reliably receive my local Baltimore County MD simulcast system. Any other scanner may or may not work depending upon your location at the time. If you are close to one of the towers, it can override the out of phase interference from the other towers. You will be disappointed with anything other than a SDS100 or SDS200 scanner. The Unication G4 and G5 pagers are also excellent for simulcast systems but can receive only one system and one site at a time and are limited to 64 talkgroups per knob position. They are also very limited in frequency coverage.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hello my name is Alex and I am from st. Charles MO i have always wanted to be an EMT and have always loved listening to my scanner app. I have been wanoting to upgrade to a real scanner but have no clue which to buy.
A Uniden SDS 100 (handheld) or SDS 200 (mobile/base) are the only scanners I would currently recommend.
At this point you might want to wait and see what the new model might have under the hood.

Opossum214

Premium Subscriber
Besides an SDS scanner a Unication G4 or 5 is another option. I own an SDS100 and two G4s, both have their pros and cons. I will say that for the Unication is a superior when it comes to reception but, it can only monitor one system at a time and it handles the simulcast better than the SDS.

Omanzz

Premium Subscriber
the sds100 will work for scanning my county’s fire ems (the frequencies I listed) correct? I just want to Ask this before I spend the money and can’t return it. Thank you so much for helping tho!!
Bearcatwarehouse.com
30 day return policy

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Besides an SDS scanner a Unication G4 or 5 is another option. I own an SDS100 and two G4s, both have their pros and cons. I will say that for the Unication is a superior when it comes to reception but, it can only monitor one system at a time and it handles the simulcast better than the SDS.

For the price shown, (I'm assuming you can get them under the MSRP), one system at a time and the limited bands, I would go with the SDS series as more bang for the buck.

G-Series.JPG

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
Can the sds100 handle simulcast better than the unication g4? I like that it does more than one system at a time.
I had a G4 and tested it side by side with my SDS100 and SDS200. SDS100/200 with a Remtronix 800mhz Antenna. (About 8 inches high) and the G4 with its stock stubby antenna.
Results were slightly better on the SDS200 and the same on the G4 and SDS100. I'm in a 3 county metropolitan area of 5.5 million people and surrounded by 5 Different Simulcast Systems so I sold the G4 with its limitation in scanning different systems at once.