• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What Was The Pearce Simpson Simba SSB/2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orbieswar

More the merrier

I may have said it wrong.

I know they only had 23...And what a shame, as it led to many of these beautiful radios falling to golden screwdrivers & basturdisation. I am just saying that with our current theories, Why did they not have a 40 switch for them ?

Why did they not continue on beyond the 23 era ? The chassis was sound and used my other labels with 40... And yes the older chassis were still used (made/produced) whilst the newer single PCB was being produced.

Also is it possible that with these early chassis, could they expand better than later designs, due to the uncertainty of how much expansion there could be ?

Future D858 pcb layouts indeed have pin 19 by design permanently grounded as you said.

Hi Orbie

Nobody is saying it ever had more than 23 channels. I am just saying that clearly the bottom of the PCB supported more and the engineers had that it in mind to have more (up to 199). It was never used, but it looks like they were ready to pull the trigger if it was approved by the feds. Dawn is saying this with even more background to back it up. After it was clear that the amount was going to be 40 channels, it appears some of these modules had the artwork changed and pin 19 was physically grounded

The later Uniden 858 design without the module, like the TRC 449/457/458 had that pin grounded right out of the chute.

tink

tinkyr

simba is finished

Orbie/Dawn

I finished the Simba project and it is working perfectly. I will try to make a video on Sunday and I will post a link here. Here are a few stills. The first shows the interior before I did anything. Note the old bulbs on the old bracket. The next picture shows the same area after the mod. Note the added brass bracket holding the 4 LEDs. Also in that pic is the microprocessor that takes the input from the channel selector and drives the channel indicator LED and the PLL module. The next pictures show the brass bracket outside the radio and the board I mounted the chip on. All of the old bulbs are replaced with LEDs, the Mode, the transmit, the meters, and the channel selector. It operates like I wanted. It is all stock when it turns on and the channel selector is amber. I let it sit on 22A and it rotates colors thru amber, green, and red, then amber again. When I switch the channel away from 22A on one of those colors, it is selected. If I select green, channels 1-20 become channels 21-40. To go back to stock, I just turn it Off/on.

Attachments

• org nterior2.jpg
    org nterior2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 608
  • after interior.jpg
    after interior.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 594
  • bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_20140901_011240264_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140901_011240264_HDR.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 598
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 573

Orbieswar

Great work my friend.. What an amazingly clean radio....That has got to be the most practical, visually pleasing mod I have ever seen on a radio... Thank you for sharing..

Orbieswar

I have noticed a few Simba`s & the odd Cheetah turn up on ebay.. The Simba`s still seem to fetch quite a few $$$ whilst the Cheetah`s almost go unnoticed.. Same can be said for others using the same chassis.

Just thought I would revive this thread and see if any new owners are here and looking for answers.

ll_Cartel_ll

Does anyone have a picture of C108?
I have a centurion 40D and the schematic is showing a different polarity than the silkscreen.

I recapped the radio and cant remember if it was a 47UF or a 0.1uf also.

Attachments

• 2015101.jpg
    2015101.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 350
  • 2015102.jpg
    2015102.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 371
  • 2015103.jpg
    2015103.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 344
  • 2015104.jpg
    2015104.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 366

tinkyr

Here i go again

I have decided to do another radio kind of like this one. I am going to take an old General RadioTelephone MC5 that has a VFO for receive, count that frequency, add the IF freq, and make it work for transmit. It will be a true VFO transceiver. I will also duplicate what I did above with the Simba where I have a mode where channels 1-20 become channels 21-40. I have some more ideas I will share later. As with the Simba project, the radio will act stock until you do something to take it out of that mode. I just recently got the radio working. I will report later when i start this.

tink

JayMojave

Hello tinker: Wow good call please share with us all on your modification to the General Radiotelephone MC-5. Suggest you start a new thread.

I had a VFO hooked up to a MC-12 General Radiotelephone radio years ago and it worked great.

Good going.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Status
Not open for further replies.