What way can I communicate with someone legally and without possibly getting in trouble?

Jppp

I recently bought a UV5RP and a UV5R and noticed they have different frequency ranges on them, but I’m wondering if I can pick an empty frequency and communicate with a friend on it. I looked it up and supposedly it’s illegal, some videos say yes it’s illegal and you get fined, some say you aren’t going to get fined and that the FCC has no legal ability to do anything to you. If anyone has information please let me know.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Technically those radios are approved for amateur radio use, so if you want to legally use it to talk to your friend, the two of you can join a local amateur radio club, study and pass a relatively easy test and get your amateur radio license and you're good to go.

Technically the radio could be programmed for other services they're not approved to be used for like Family Radio Service. But, technically they are for amateur radio use only .

AK4PY

"Some say you aren't going to get fined and that the FCC has no legal ability to do anything to you."

I don't personally think I would be willing to test this. Never invite the man into your life.

Your options are to get a ham radio license or return the radios. If you don't want to pass a written exam then return the radios and use the money to purchase GMRS radios. Then, you and your friend can apply for FCC GMRS licenses (only $35 and no exam). From there, you can see if there are any local repeaters for GMRS that you can use. If there are not, then maybe you and your friend can put up a repeater and get some enhanced radio coverage.

Edit: There are several GMRS repeaters listed as open in your area. You may be in the coverage range of one or more of them.
https://mygmrs.com/map/9116

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I recently bought a UV5RP and a UV5R and noticed they have different frequency ranges on them, but I’m wondering if I can pick an empty frequency and communicate with a friend on it. I looked it up and supposedly it’s illegal, some videos say yes it’s illegal and you get fined, some say you aren’t going to get fined and that the FCC has no legal ability to do anything to you. If anyone has information please let me know.

When the FCC finds them, the FCC does fine them. More likely if you use a ham frequency, someone will find you and if you do not stop, they will contact the FCC which will act. In fact, some of us look at "all" frequencies and enjoy tracking down pirate activity. Depending on what other frequency, nothing or worse can happen. And who do you think you will talk to doing that? - Likely no one. If you just want to talk to family get an FRS radio or get get a GMRS license and legal GMRS radio. As others will say, do not do it (just pick a frequency and transmit), get a amateur license and you and they (you will have ones to talk to) will be happier. By the way, the FCC does have legal authority. Though they cannot arrest you, they can fine you and take you to court (and they actively do this) . Fines can be $10,000 or more. (Lately focus seems to be on unlicensed FM broadcast stations with fines for those sometimes higher than $2,000,000.)

KD9KSO

Amateur operators actively monitor the bands for illegal operation. You will eventually be found out and reported.

If you use a made up call sign we will know. If you use no call sign at all, that is another tip-off.

Use your radio legally and get your license.

nd5y

I’m wondering if I can pick an empty frequency and communicate with a friend on it.
You can transmit on whatever frequency you think you're big enough to transmit on.

Just because a frequency appears "empty" on a cheap chinese radio doesn't mean you won't cause harmful interference to the legitimate users when you transmit.

If you pull a random frequency out of your @$$ that happens to be allocated to federal/state/local government, aviation or critical infrastructure then don't be surprised if later on you have a very bad day.

Also don't be surprised if your radios don't work because the random frequency you picked was in the middle of a DTV channel or other wideband signal that your narrowband FM radios can't receive.

CMDRExorcist

Sounds like what you're wanting to do might be safer on GMRS unless you're looking to get your amateur radio license. GMRS just requires a fee paid to get a callsign. I'd recommend not risking it and investing in a cheap GMRS for communication with your friend to start.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I recently bought a UV5RP and a UV5R and noticed they have different frequency ranges on them, but I’m wondering if I can pick an empty frequency and communicate with a friend on it.
You're better off just getting a push to talk app for your smartphone.
  • No licensing or legal issues
  • Good range and voice quality
  • Ease of setup and use for the technologically disinclined
  • Encrypted signals offer a high degree of privacy
  • Cool CopSoundsTM, optional

a727469

Premium Subscriber
Yes go with the smartphone app until or if you take the time to really research legal radio communications. Not sure why you bought the UV5RP and UV5R? Stick to listening for now.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
First class, though legal, horribly long time intensive and expensive is quite a change from radio😀 Also, I missed the part where he said either one of them were hams. If one were a ham, they would have given him hopefully good advice.👍

RFI-EMI-GUY

You were hoodwinked by the Baofeng Mania.

If you bought them from Amazon or other retailer send them right back. Or sell them to a licensed amateur radio operator and say damn good riddance. Look up GMRS rules on FCC website, apply for a license $35 for 10 years, less than a penny a day. Then seek advice on buying a couple good GMRS radio that are FCC type certified.

k6cpo

I see so many of these post made by people that go out and buy a couple of radios THEN discover they are supposed to have a license to use them. This is because of the proliferation of FRS radios with their grandiose claims of phenomenal distance. These un-educated purchasers think all radios are alike. If there was some way to mount an education program to convince these people to do their research BEFORE they purchase a radio... Hello ARRL, are you there?

RFI-EMI-GUY

I see so many of these post made by people that go out and buy a couple of radios THEN discover they are supposed to have a license to use them. This is because of the proliferation of FRS radios with their grandiose claims of phenomenal distance. These un-educated purchasers think all radios are alike. If there was some way to mount an education program to convince these people to do their research BEFORE they purchase a radio... Hello ARRL, are you there?
ARRL only wants $$$$$ and they hope they can capture the naive Baofeng owner demographic. Only today ARRL told me to start planning my estate for my imminent demise so that my wife can send them all of my radios and money. She would kill me early if I planned any of that.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
ARRL only wants $$$$$ and they hope they can capture the naive Baofeng owner demographic. Only today ARRL told me to start planning my estate for my imminent demise so that my wife can send them all of my radios and money. She would kill me early if I planned any of that.
I did see that estate planning email, odd.. I hope the original poster gets back to us here.