What way can I communicate with someone legally and without possibly getting in trouble?

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
When I got the radios I just wanted to talk to a friend that’s about 10-20 miles away, I have no skill level, in the past I only used the radios that have set channels that you can’t change and they had bad range, only 3 miles or so.
This isn't exactly off topic, BUT, to some of us older people, you sound like a tremendous opportunity to really kick some technology butt.

Example: A kid liked looking at the stars, he would climb a mountain on weekends to get his telescope up to an altitude that would provide a better view. The problem was he would check the weather forecasts first, but they would frequently be wrong, and after hours of climbing a mountain with a telescope, he would be unhappy about it.

He started doing his own forecasts, and eventually became a world class forecaster.

My point is, it sounds like you have an opportunity here, there's still a lot of exploring in radios left. You never know where your "Just wanting to talk to someone 10 to 20 miles away" may lead.

Sorry for the pontification, and good luck.

Thanks
Joel

a727469

Premium Subscriber
As usual, some excellent advice from truly knowledgable people. While I certainly agree with MUTNAV above, the real question continues to be..is the poster interested in radio or does he just want to communicate with somebody 20 miles away? Maybe he does not know. But after all these comments, he should have a good understanding of the options…if his interest is in learning about radio then all these comments should motivate him enough to find a local ham club and talk to someone and we have done our job…if not, then the information in this thread is more than enough and we should also be done.

W4AXW

A keeper of the SSB flame
I looked it up and supposedly it’s illegal, some videos say yes it’s illegal and you get fined, some say you aren’t going to get fined and that the FCC has no legal ability to do anything to you. If anyone has information please let me know.
That should show you the total value of the information you find in "some videos".

Surprisingly, you're actually not entitled to do whatever you want whenever you want to do it. Shocking, ain't it??

You keep saying you don't know and want to learn. There is a staggering amount of information available via the very same search engine that lead you here. Use it to learn what's what and you'll enjoy the hobby a bunch more and probably for a longer time. As you can see from some of the responses here this stuff is taken seriously.

k6cpo

ARRL only wants $$$$$ and they hope they can capture the naive Baofeng owner demographic. Only today ARRL told me to start planning my estate for my imminent demise so that my wife can send them all of my radios and money. She would kill me early if I planned any of that.
The ARRL isn't getting a dime of my estate nor any of my radios when I go room temperature. My wife already knows to give it all to my club. Then it becomes their problem...

k6cpo

This morning I witnessed a perfect example of what can happen when naive people buy and try to use radios they aren't familiar with. I heard what sounded like the typical Baofeng built-in siren — possibly the most useless and idiotic feature ever built into a radio — transmitting on the local CalFire dispatch frequency. Thankfully, it was brief and hasn't come back.

wtp

where the wife works, they were sent some radios (baofeng) for around the buildings and outside.
i happen to show up the next day and told the wife that they are using what would be a police frequency (460.125)
they were off it the next day.and then the whole nationwide company told them how to program the radios.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
where the wife works, they were sent some radios (baofeng) for around the buildings and outside.
i happen to show up the next day and told the wife that they are using what would be a police frequency (460.125)
they were off it the next day.and then the whole nationwide company told them how to program the radios.

Lemme guess, centralized IT department sent those out? Some server admin got tasked with being the "radio guy" and immediately went on Amazon and typed in "Walkie Talkie" and looked for the cheapest model with good reviews?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
This morning I witnessed a perfect example of what can happen when naive people buy and try to use radios they aren't familiar with. I heard what sounded like the typical Baofeng built-in siren — possibly the most useless and idiotic feature ever built into a radio — transmitting on the local CalFire dispatch frequency. Thankfully, it was brief and hasn't come back.
Trunking with LLA, and voice encryption is the best anti-Bowelturd for part 90.
MotoTRBO with RAS eliminates illegal operators with Amazon turd radios kerchunking, and only authorized subscribers for part 90 DMR and amateur.

Ironically, the muffled and low audio Baoturds are famous for always have full TX deviation of the silly roger beeps and siren sounds. Piece of feces radios.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
So typical of today's Internet generation. "I just want to....don't tell me there are rules. I paid my money so why not?"
Like I said, so much job security for us in RFIM.
Pretty sure the OP was asking about the rules... Even in the title of the thread.

Thanks
Joel

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Depending on a lot of different factors, CB might do what you want.
I had thought about the same thing... A lot would depend on what kind of antenna can be dealt with.

At one point I made a list of maybe 15 different ways to communicate by radio

(I mean even license free LF, and 49 MHz walkie talkies) , without excluding anything, and then narrowed the list by looking at possibilities and drawbacks.

Thanks
Joel

a727469

Premium Subscriber
As usual, some excellent advice from truly knowledgable people. While I certainly agree with MUTNAV above, the real question continues to be..is the poster interested in radio or does he just want to communicate with somebody 20 miles away? Maybe he does not know. But after all these comments, he should have a good understanding of the options…if his interest is in learning about radio then all these comments should motivate him enough to find a local ham club and talk to someone and we have done our job…if not, then the information in this thread is more than enough and we should also be done.
Have not heard from the original poster since Thursday. Please take this the right way, but according to my last post, why are we not done?

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
We've heard variations on this theme many, many times before.... I hate to sound like a jaded old man, but I've seen and heard these types many times before. When asked such a question, I neither want to encourage the type that is looking to skirt, ignore or justify getting around the rules. I simply tell them to get a cell phone.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
We've heard variations on this theme many, many times before.... I hate to sound like a jaded old man, but I've seen and heard these types many times before. When asked such a question, I neither want to encourage the type that is looking to skirt, ignore or justify getting around the rules. I simply tell them to get a cell phone.
(Although I know some want the subject to die) There are times, even here in Northern Virginia, atop Skyline Drive that I cannot get cellphone (Verizon) to work (in fact, most times). In fact, a good example was when in thick fog, my brother and I could neither get cell service to talk to find each other. When the fog cleared, we saw we were the only two cars parked in the same parking lot :) If talking to family while hiking, using a cell phone is often not an ideal option. (But my wife and son are hams so we use that. In fact I can reach several amateur repeaters with an HT when needed from those same locations.) Also, *often* one needs to keep their cell phone available for incoming calls for others while the conversation on the other radio may be long. (For this reason, I think his best option is perhaps an FRS or a GMRS license with type accepted radios.) Similarly, in the wilds hunting down radiosondes, I still carry an old fashioned compass as back up to cell/GPS and once actually needed that when the GPS (Garmin) failed and my cellphone had no coverage.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
(Although I know some want the subject to die) There are times, even here in Northern Virginia, atop Skyline Drive that I cannot get cellphone (Verizon) to work (in fact, most times). In fact, a good example was when in thick fog, my brother and I could neither get cell service to talk to find each other. When the fog cleared, we saw we were the only two cars parked in the same parking lot :) If talking to family while hiking, using a cell phone is often not an ideal option. (But my wife and son are hams so we use that. In fact I can reach several amateur repeaters with an HT when needed from those same locations.) Also, *often* one needs to keep their cell phone available for incoming calls for others while the conversation on the other radio may be long. (For this reason, I think his best option is perhaps an FRS or a GMRS license with type accepted radios.) Similarly, in the wilds hunting down radiosondes, I still carry an old fashioned compass as back up to cell/GPS and once actually needed that when the GPS (Garmin) failed and my cellphone had no coverage.
Ham radiosondes, or weather radiosondes?

Sounds like a classic "oh shoot, I'm lost" situation. I had a friend that hunted and always took a reverse bearing when leaving his car on the road. Once, he actually needed it.

Good to have EDC things with you, well, every day..... just in case.

Thanks
Joel

RFI-EMI-GUY

Someone should draft up a decision tree chart for these sorts of questions and make it a sticky here for future newbies. I am not volunteering as I am behind on a hundred different things.

KB2GOM

10-20 miles is going to be nearly impossible without a repeater or at least antennas high up on both ends.

Repeaters are expensive and require a lot of knowledge, skill and very expensive test equipment to set up, so take that off the list.

There are no "license free" repeaters that will do what you want.

That radio is only legal for use on the amateur radio bands, so each and every user needs a license. The user is licensed, not the radio.
Amateur radio licenses require taking a test, and that test is on technical skills. You can learn the stuff, but if you are starting at zero, you have a long road ahead of you. There are better choices.

Amateur radio operators often install repeaters that they let other licensed amateur radio operators used. Without a license, you'll upset them to no end, and they will complain to the FCC. Amateur radio operators also have the tools and skills to track you down. Don't try them.

GMRS is an option. It requires a license for each family. Unless your friend is a blood relative, they'll ned their own license too. You'll need appropriate GMRS radios. Those radios you have are not legal for use on GMRS. Yes, people do it anyway, but we do try to teach integrity and doing things the right/legal way here.

-Some- areas do have GMRS repeaters. GMRS repeaters are not always open for free use by others. They are not located everywhere. GMRS may be a good option.

Or, as others suggested, the 'walkie talkie' apps for a cell phone might be a better choice. Benefit to those:
You don't need a license.
Much better coverage than you'll ever get from amateur/GMRS.
Use your existing smart phone.

Or, get something like this:

You'll need an LTE service/sim card, but it's cheaper than cellular service.

Mmckenna,

what follow is a series of guesses.

So the Amazon devices are sort-of like VOIP phones but through a handi-talkie?

So you would have to sign into whatever network was available, right? . . . so you could use it in places where there is public wifi, no?

(If I am right, I'll file this under: "learn something new every day."

Cheers, Jock

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Mmckenna,

what follow is a series of guesses.

So the Amazon devices are sort-of like VOIP phones but through a handi-talkie?

No. They are an IP device that acts like a walkie talkie. The IP service can be delivered using cellular network services. Sometimes cell carriers sell this as an IOT (Internet of Things) service. The IOT SIM cards only allow data service, no voice. Not an issue as the walkie talkies just need data service.

They need a back end server that links users as they roam around on the network. Companies like Icom sell these products and a large agency/company/business could have their own server and use cellular service to connect these devices.

Some companies, like I linked to above, use some mass server servers somewhere to fill this role. The end user just needs the walkie talkie and the data only sim card.

So you would have to sign into whatever network was available, right? . . . so you could use it in places where there is public wifi, no?

Depends on the radio, but as long as they have access to the internet, they can work.

(If I am right, I'll file this under: "learn something new every day."

Cheers, Jock

There's a lot of services like this. You can essentially do the same thing with the walkie talkie apps on your smart phone.
These Amazon type walkie talkies are just a dumbed down smart phone that runs the app.

Newer high end LMR radios aimed at the public safety market have this ability (Motorola SmartConnect, Harris BeON, Tait has their version, etc…). This requires the agency having a server connected to their P25 core, but can allow the radio to connect back into the network over cellular/WiFi and behave just like any other LMR radio on the system. Useful when the radio gets out of range of the P25 system, either due to failure, bad coverage, or just working outside the coverage area.

Some agencies, like Georgia State Patrol are going this route and using LMR as the fall back.
We've got an agency about an hour north of me that is doing this with their PD. Harris radios, primary use is Cellular, with LMR as backup.