What way can I communicate with someone legally and without possibly getting in trouble?

Jppp

You can transmit on whatever frequency you think you're big enough to transmit on.

Just because a frequency appears "empty" on a cheap chinese radio doesn't mean you won't cause harmful interference to the legitimate users when you transmit.

If you pull a random frequency out of your @$$ that happens to be allocated to federal/state/local government, aviation or critical infrastructure then don't be surprised if later on you have a very bad day.

Also don't be surprised if your radios don't work because the random frequency you picked was in the middle of a DTV channel or other wideband signal that your narrowband FM radios can't receive.
Well thanks for being rude bro. I have no idea what sh*t is okay or not so that’s why I’m asking.

Sounds like what you're wanting to do might be safer on GMRS unless you're looking to get your amateur radio license. GMRS just requires a fee paid to get a callsign. I'd recommend not risking it and investing in a cheap GMRS for communication with your friend to start.
Idk the difference and Idk what to research either, it was kind of a stupid impulse buy but I wanted to learn more about it.

Yes go with the smartphone app until or if you take the time to really research legal radio communications. Not sure why you bought the UV5RP and UV5R? Stick to listening for now.
Cause the normal ones don’t let you listen to specific channels and they have shorter range. I’ve been just listening to FM stations on it.

You were hoodwinked by the Baofeng Mania.

If you bought them from Amazon or other retailer send them right back. Or sell them to a licensed amateur radio operator and say damn good riddance. Look up GMRS rules on FCC website, apply for a license $35 for 10 years, less than a penny a day. Then seek advice on buying a couple good GMRS radio that are FCC type certified.
If I apply for a license am I not allowed to use the baofeng to communicate?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Some of the responses here may seem rude, but they aren't wrong. You can't just buy a radio and start transmitting on a frequency of your choice.

Maybe tell us what you want to do, who you want to talk to, and how far away they are. We might be able to make some recommendations.

Jppp

Some of the responses here may seem rude, but they aren't wrong. You can't just buy a radio and start transmitting on a frequency of your choice.

Maybe tell us what you want to do, who you want to talk to, and how far away they are. We might be able to make some recommendations.
That’s why I’m asking what to do first before transmitting. I just wanna talk to a friend who is maybe 10-20 miles away. He doesn’t have any licensing and doesn’t have a radio yet. I don’t have anything to make using the radio legal. So far I’ve just been using it to listen to NOAA and FM radio stations

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Well thanks for being rude bro. I have no idea what sh*t is okay or not so that’s why I’m asking.

This is mostly a hobby oriented site, and some of the replies you'll get are a bit rough. But on the other hand, there's a handful of us that have been doing this stuff professionally for decades that will be more than happy to help you out.

One thing about hobbyists, they -love- to make sure the new guy gets put it their place. Just ignore that attitude when you see it.

Idk the difference and Idk what to research either, it was kind of a stupid impulse buy but I wanted to learn more about it.

Many of us will be happy to help you, just like @AK9R suggested above. Two way radio is complex, and we really need more info about what you'd like to do if you'd like an accurate answer.

Cause the normal ones don’t let you listen to specific channels and they have shorter range. I’ve been just listening to FM stations on it.

Listening is fine. Transmitting is the issue. We can help you, just let us know what you want to do. As you've gathered from some of the harsh responses above, there's a lot of rules and regulations involved that are very complex and difficult for the newcomer to understand. We're here to help. As suggested, it's not as easy as buying a radio and just using it. There's quite a bit involved.

An FCC issued license gives you some very specific and limited permissions. The radio you have isn't capable or legal to use under all license types. The type of license you get will dictate what frequencies you can use, and those frequencies have specific requirements on what radio you can use. There isn't a one size fits all answer, radio, license, or application that meets all that.

Tell us exactly what you need, exactly what your expectations are, and exactly what your skill level is, and we'll help you out.

Jppp

This is mostly a hobby oriented site, and some of the replies you'll get are a bit rough. But on the other hand, there's a handful of us that have been doing this stuff professionally for decades that will be more than happy to help you out.

One thing about hobbyists, they -love- to make sure the new guy gets put it their place. Just ignore that attitude when you see it.

Many of us will be happy to help you, just like @AK9R suggested above. Two way radio is complex, and we really need more info about what you'd like to do if you'd like an accurate answer.

Listening is fine. Transmitting is the issue. We can help you, just let us know what you want to do. As you've gathered from some of the harsh responses above, there's a lot of rules and regulations involved that are very complex and difficult for the newcomer to understand. We're here to help. As suggested, it's not as easy as buying a radio and just using it. There's quite a bit involved.

An FCC issued license gives you some very specific and limited permissions. The radio you have isn't capable or legal to use under all license types. The type of license you get will dictate what frequencies you can use, and those frequencies have specific requirements on what radio you can use. There isn't a one size fits all answer, radio, license, or application that meets all that.

Tell us exactly what you need, exactly what your expectations are, and exactly what your skill level is, and we'll help you out.
When I got the radios I just wanted to talk to a friend that’s about 10-20 miles away, I have no skill level, in the past I only used the radios that have set channels that you can’t change and they had bad range, only 3 miles or so.

RFI-EMI-GUY

snip

The radios you listed are not FCC certified for GMRS . They are ham radios by default.

I sent you a PM with description of radio that is Baofeng and is FCC certified for GMRS: https://fccid.io/2AJGM-GM15PRO I also posted a link above to get them cheaply. They are Baofeng "quality" , but at least you will be legal.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
What is the difference between a HAM radio and a GMRS radio?
The license privileges you get between the two services, and the certification of the radios allowed to operate there. The ham license gives you many more privileges and frequencies because you studied first for an exam that covers basic operating procedures and rules. GMRS is a walled garden of only a handful of UHF frequencies, of which you get to pay money for only to be interfered with by unlicensed FRS users and people who buy Baofengs that don't know how to use them.

RFI-EMI-GUY

No problem. Amazon and other resellers dump this stuff out without any advice to public at large, that a license is needed and specifically what license is needed (usually a Ham license with a test), so they get misused unintentionally with those BaoFengShuii default frequencies and tones that happen to, by no huge coincidence align exactly with input frequencies and tones of major metropolitan police departments or private ambulance companies *.

Because they transmit on the Police/ambulance repeater input frequencies, the users of those radios have no idea who they are interfering with until they get caught, which they do, because some really cranky RF tech gets called out at 11:00 PM on Saturday night to track them down. Which is not too hard to do.

I have done this as part of my job. First they look at the master receiver voting comparator to get a feel for what corner of town they are in, and then it is game on with a Yagi antenna and driving up a hill or top of a parking garage. If there are two cranky technicians doing same, chances are good you will be located within an hour or less. I have found interferers of a couple milliwatts with a helper on the ground and myself in a helicopter. In that case it was unfortunately crappy cheap 800 MHz radios sold by a /\/\anufacturer who should have known better.

So get a license, Ham Tech or GMRS depending on which radios you choose keep or buy to be legal.

* These are well documented cases.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
When I got the radios I just wanted to talk to a friend that’s about 10-20 miles away, I have no skill level, in the past I only used the radios that have set channels that you can’t change and they had bad range, only 3 miles or so.

10-20 miles is going to be nearly impossible without a repeater or at least antennas high up on both ends.

Repeaters are expensive and require a lot of knowledge, skill and very expensive test equipment to set up, so take that off the list.

There are no "license free" repeaters that will do what you want.

That radio is only legal for use on the amateur radio bands, so each and every user needs a license. The user is licensed, not the radio.
Amateur radio licenses require taking a test, and that test is on technical skills. You can learn the stuff, but if you are starting at zero, you have a long road ahead of you. There are better choices.

Amateur radio operators often install repeaters that they let other licensed amateur radio operators used. Without a license, you'll upset them to no end, and they will complain to the FCC. Amateur radio operators also have the tools and skills to track you down. Don't try them.

GMRS is an option. It requires a license for each family. Unless your friend is a blood relative, they'll ned their own license too. You'll need appropriate GMRS radios. Those radios you have are not legal for use on GMRS. Yes, people do it anyway, but we do try to teach integrity and doing things the right/legal way here.

-Some- areas do have GMRS repeaters. GMRS repeaters are not always open for free use by others. They are not located everywhere. GMRS may be a good option.

Or, as others suggested, the 'walkie talkie' apps for a cell phone might be a better choice. Benefit to those:
You don't need a license.
Much better coverage than you'll ever get from amateur/GMRS.
Use your existing smart phone.

Or, get something like this:

You'll need an LTE service/sim card, but it's cheaper than cellular service.

10-43

Premium Subscriber
If you want to communicate 10 to 20 miles you will need to use something that can access a repeater if handheld or mobile, or a base that operates on a frequency and power with a certain antenna system that can do it.

Amateur Radio has frequency bands of operation that are allowed depending on your level of license. Licensing requires passing a test. The easiest is the Technician license which among other bands, allows operation on the common 2 Meter and 70 centimeter bands which are popular with users of handheld radios communicating through local repeaters. Most repeaters are open access and often supported by clubs. HAM radio operators are allowed to use any equipment they choose to, as long as it does not cause interference to other services or other HAM radio operations. The equipment must operate within the allowed technical parameters as defined in 47 CFR part 97.

GMRS is a service that allows you to operate with a license that you purchase for $35 for 5 years. There are local repeaters that may be open for use by other than the repeater owner. Some are supported by clubs. GMRS radios must be 47 CFR Part 95 accepted. Meaning the FCC has approved their operation on GMRS. No other type accepted or non-type accepted radios are approved for use.

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

"Some say you aren't going to get fined and that the FCC has no legal ability to do anything to you."

I don't personally think I would be willing to test this. Never invite the man into your life.

Your options are to get a ham radio license or return the radios. If you don't want to pass a written exam then return the radios and use the money to purchase GMRS radios. Then, you and your friend can apply for FCC GMRS licenses (only $35 and no exam). From there, you can see if there are any local repeaters for GMRS that you can use. If there are not, then maybe you and your friend can put up a repeater and get some enhanced radio coverage.

Edit: There are several GMRS repeaters listed as open in your area. You may be in the coverage range of one or more of them.
https://mygmrs.com/map/9116
Just bumping this here for the link to the repeater lookup.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
One thing I'll add to all this noise:

I've been an amateur radio operator for a few decades now. It's a good hobby.

But, unless you have specifically said to yourself (recently) "Hey, I really want to learn how radios work, study electronics, and essentially nerd out on this field of study!", do NOT get get your ham license. It is not the solution to all communications. It's a very niche hobby that requires dedication, skill and knowledge. I know a few people that essentially were bullied by hams into getting their ham license, and then absolutely hated it.
Amateur radio is not for everyone. Just because you have a radio doesn't mean you need to get your amateur radio license.

It is not a hobby for everyone.

Some hams are pretty damn weird.

Plus, to do what you want, both you and your friend will need to study for, pass and receive your license.

Don't fall into that trap just because a bunch of strangers on the internet tell you too. That's a bad way to get into a hobby.

RFI-EMI-GUY

What is the difference between a HAM radio and a GMRS radio?
A ham radio can be just about anything from a kit built from parts or a experimental radio crafted by some genius. However to sell "Ham Radio" commercially, in volume, they must be FCC type certified, Part 15 to ensure they do not radiate interference to any other radio service. Those are very minimal standards to meet.

A GMRS radio also requires FCC certification to meet FCC Part 15 and Part 95E requirements. They are much more stringent. There are emission masks so the radios don't splatter adjacent channels, frequency stability, power levels (up to 50 watts base station or vehicle mobile) . But more importantly the channels and power levels are locked down to comply with the FCC rules of 2017 which allows for 8 simplex/repeater pairs and for portables, the interstitial channels at reduced power. The transmitter can only transmit on those channels allowed. You can talk to low power FRS radios on the interstitial channels.

There is a page on Wikipedia all about the frequencies etc. General Mobile Radio Service - Wikipedia I contributed to the frequency table, hopefully nobody came later an "fixed anything".

N4KVE

Bring those radios to the local gun range, & use them as targets. Then buy a pair of POC radios. No license is needed, but you’ll have to pay a provider for system access. The good thing is they’ll have unlimited range. You could be in NYC, & your pal can be in San Diego, & have a conversation. It’ll be legal, & you can’t interfere with anybody.