• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Which BaoFeng is legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE0GXN

I am confused on which stateside supplier is selling legit up to date BaoFengs?

So far I have only found these two:

Baofeng Radio US - The Official Baofeng US Distributor

https://baofengtech.com

US sells the BF F9V2 which claims to be the newest model.

Tech sells the BF F8HP which claims to be the newest model.

Anybody have any experience with any of these distributors and which BaoFeng model is the latest and greatest?

Thanks!

Voyager

There are lots of posts about baofengtech under their anytonetech name.

Not judging - you can read and do that for yourself.

teufler

I have bought from Baofeng tech, https://baofengtech.com/. I have the f8hp, with the big battery. A friend has an f9hp. Both radios are functionally the same. I have had questiuons, that were sent to Baofeng tech and answered quickly. No problems with equipment, just operational questions that I probably could have looked up. Now have bought from Anytone Tech too, same quick answered . Again, radios have worked from the get go. There are limitations, to the f8hp, such as no group scanning, no 2 tone call outs, like a pager: these two things I miss. As for the latest and greatest, really its just the firm ware that the radio has, the f8hp is really a uv5r and that really hasn't changed much since it first came out. My f8hp is about 1 year old and operations is exactly the same as when it arrived.

SCPD

QRT
Not sure but it says official at that site you posted. One thing though is ebay and amazon sellers tend to sell overstock of older firmware baofeng and altered versions of the housing or firmware. You'd want latest firmware models. Last I heard they changed the name to pofung.

nd5y

I am confused on which stateside supplier is selling legit up to date BaoFengs?
I don't think anybody knows for sure. It probably doesn't make any difference who you buy them from. Two of the big suppliers both claim to be "official".
"Up to date" is meaningless. The manufacturer changes the firmware every few months and the firmware is not field upgradeable.
If the supplier uses Amazon you may or may not even get new merchandise. Due to the poor factory quality control you might get a lemon.
Go to the baofeng_uv5r Yahoo Group and search for "Fulfilled By Amazon" or "quality control" or "WHATS WRONG WITH MY BAOFENG??????"
Baofeng Tech has a model compairson chart. I don't know if it is totally accurate. https://baofengtech.com/compare

Last edited:

KE0GXN

I have bought from Baofeng tech, https://baofengtech.com/. I have the f8hp, with the big battery. A friend has an f9hp. Both radios are functionally the same. I have had questiuons, that were sent to Baofeng tech and answered quickly. No problems with equipment, just operational questions that I probably could have looked up. Now have bought from Anytone Tech too, same quick answered . Again, radios have worked from the get go. There are limitations, to the f8hp, such as no group scanning, no 2 tone call outs, like a pager: these two things I miss. As for the latest and greatest, really its just the firm ware that the radio has, the f8hp is really a uv5r and that really hasn't changed much since it first came out. My f8hp is about 1 year old and operations is exactly the same as when it arrived.

I too sent them an email and it was answered quickly about if they do warranty repairs stateside or if they send them back to China and this was the response,

"If they are purchased through us, we will take a look at them without issue right here on site."

I did not feel the "we will take a look at them" wording was very clear. May end up sending another for clarification.....

Let me ask you this.......Knowing what you know now and having seen your friend's F9 (and maybe messed with it I assume), which one would you prefer to own?

I don't need the 2 tone call outs. It will be strictly for HAM use. Not sure what "group scanning" is or if I need it for HAM? :confused:

Thanks.

KE0GXN

I don't think anybody knows for sure. It probably doesn't make any difference who you buy them from. Two of the big suppliers both claim to be "official".
"Up to date" is meaningless. The manufacturer changes the firmware every few months and the firmware is not field upgradeable.
If the supplier uses Amazon you may or may not even get new merchandise. Due to the poor factory quality control you might get a lemon.
Go to the baofeng_uv5r Yahoo Group and search for "Fulfilled By Amazon" or "quality control" or "WHATS WRONG WITH MY BAOFENG??????"
Baofeng Tech has a model compairson chart. I don't know if it is totally accurate. https://baofengtech.com/compare

Believe me if I could afford it right now I would be looking at other brands, but at this point I just want something to get me started with and not be out of pocket on a big investment.

I honestly don't know how far I will go with amateur radio yet. Seem interesting enough, but until someone actually gets in to something...you never know.

Thanks for the links and feedback.

MrGClips

I've got my BF-F9 V2+ from BaofengRadio.us. Link:
Tri-Power Radios

These guys have a repair center in Texas, or so they say. :D
(hope I never have to find out, meaning, the radio will work fine)

You can find all the models and accessories on this site.

The other source I used was Baofeng from Amazon, where I've got the 3 additional Nagoya antennas, the AA battery holder, car charger battery adapter, microphone and programming cable. All legit and original.

KE0GXN

Not sure but it says official at that site you posted. One thing though is ebay and amazon sellers tend to sell overstock of older firmware baofeng and altered versions of the housing or firmware. You'd want latest firmware models. Last I heard they changed the name to pofung.

BaoFeng Tech has a news release on their site about the PoFung deal, but I could not make heads or tails about it. sucks to hear about all the firmware issues and not knowing if your getting an old version versus a new version. :(

At the end of the day, I just want something that works to get me started in amateur radio, without having to initially drop $150-300 bucks, by the time you get all the accessories you need and what not...

MrGClips

BaoFeng Tech has a news release on their site about the PoFung deal, but I could not make heads or tails about it. sucks to hear about all the firmware issues and not knowing if your getting an old version versus a new version. :(

At the end of the day, I just want something that works to get me started in amateur radio, without having to initially drop $150-300 bucks, by the time you get all the accessories you need and what not...

Baofeng Black UV-5R V2+

This is an updated model for under $30! :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HX03AMA

Surely won't break the bank for anyone! :)

Ps: Modified the link because it changed the correct link to some 'rakuten' whatever site. :(

Last edited:

KE0GXN

Baofeng Black UV-5R V2+

This is an updated model for under $30! :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HX03AMA

Surely won't break the bank for anyone! :)

Ps: Modified the link because it changed the correct link to some 'rakuten' whatever site. :(

Thanks for the rec, but I can do $60 or so, if it means getting a better radio. Kind of just narrowed it down to the 8HP, F9 or even the UV-82 at this point.

Just need to figure out which distributers to trust. Both these guys are on Amazon claiming to have the newest and greatest radios.... :confused:

Last edited:

MrGClips

Thanks for the rec, but I can do $60 or so, if it means getting a better radio. Kind of just narrowed it down to the 8HP or the F9 at this point.

Just need to figure out which distributers to trust. Both these guys are on Amazon claiming to have the newest and greatest radios.... :confused:

The difference of the Baofeng UV-5R V2+ compared to the BF-F9 V2+ is the power option, if I'm correct. The 5R has 2 power options max 5 watt, the F9 has 3 up to 8 watt. Not that big of a difference for half the price.

But if you already have the 2 mentioned types, then I guess you just have to pick one. But if I'm correct, and this is kind o' funny, the F9 new model has the older firmware and the older 8HP has the newer firmware.

My BF-F9V2+ has the following firmware:
- Firmware Message 1: N5R3409
- Firmware Message 2: BFP3-25
- Power-On Message: 150319N

That's all I've got for you to use for comparison or reference. I hope you will like your little Bao, and DON'T let anyone give you hard time for picking this excellent little inexpensive Chinese radio! If you feel the need to buy a higher value "brand name" model, you can at any time and you'll still have this great little HT, but I completely agree with you NOT to spend a small fortune right away on a hobby you're just starting. Makes all the sense in the world!

Good luck with your new radio, whichever model may you pick. :)

KE0GXN

The difference of the Baofeng UV-5R V2+ compared to the BF-F9 V2+ is the power option, if I'm correct. The 5R has 2 power options max 5 watt, the F9 has 3 up to 8 watt. Not that big of a difference for half the price.

But if you already have the 2 mentioned types, then I guess you just have to pick one. But if I'm correct, and this is kind o' funny, the F9 new model has the older firmware and the older 8HP has the newer firmware.

My BF-F9V2+ has the following firmware:
- Firmware Message 1: N5R3409
- Firmware Message 2: BFP3-25
- Power-On Message: 150319N

That's all I've got for you to use for comparison or reference. I hope you will like your little Bao, and DON'T let anyone give you hard time for picking this excellent little inexpensive Chinese radio! If you feel the need to buy a higher value "brand name" model, you can at any time and you'll still have this great little HT, but I completely agree with you NOT to spend a small fortune right away on a hobby you're just starting. Makes all the sense in the world!

Good luck with your new radio, whichever model may you pick. :)

Thanks man! I put a last minute edit in there on the UV-82....gonna start taking a look at it too.

If you or someone on here can educate me on this "dual PTT" option it has and why its a good thing or not I would appreciate it. :)

PBman

I have bought from both vendets with no problems, every radio I have bought from baofeng.us has came with a fcc part 90 stocker on the inside of the batt compartment I like the UV 82 series radios the best....just my 2cents worth.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Has English Manual!

I bought two UV-5R v2+ radios. One from Amazon.com (Baofeng Radio US), and the other directly from Baofeng Radio US...

The one from Baofeng Radio US direct has newer firmware than the one I got via Amazon, even though they both are from the same Texas distributor!

The only complaint I have is really very minor, and that is that because of the firmware differences, I have to maintain two otherwise identical 'profiles' in the CHIRP software.

The most important difference however is that the one directly from Baofeng Radio US direct has a nicely printed, 93 page manual written in proper English, and not the impossible to comprehend 26 page Chinglish joke of a "manual" normally included.

Last edited:

teufler

STATEBEAR: Difference between the f8 and f9 is the number on the front. Both are 8 watts, though I would add the 3800 mah battery. Its the biggest battery that I have found. There is a TYT unit, dual band, that is 10 watts. Remember from the Tech Test, double the power, thats a 3dn gain, and is barely discernible to the human ear. Banking storage is the ability for the radio to scan or operate from a limited number of channels rather than the entire radio. The Baofeng has storage for 125 channels so if you arfe scanning those, the radio goes from 1-125 then back to 1. With Banks storage, the radio can scan say 1,4,7,10, then back to 1. The Baofengs are a basic radio, no frills but they have held up for me good. I have a Yaesu vx7, thats 15 years old. Other than 2 battery replacements and dropping from a 50 ft tower and cracking the face plate, , which the radio still operated with a cracked crystal , its been a work horse. Some had comment the uv82, its got many good reports, alittle tougher, alittle more expensive. I have a Wouxan uv8d, then an Anytone Temn8r. The later has all the bells and whistles, 2 tone, bank storage, paging, but 2.5 times more than the uv5 or f8. All the Chinese radiuos have performed exactly like they have advertised. An HT is like a portable computer. Its not a primary piece if gear, handy, but not your prime radio or computer. You will hear many complaints about the Chinese radios, but I have never been told, "its sounds like you are talking on a CCR". Cheap Chinese Radio. Now all HT's have a problem with water. I once operated at an outdoor event where it rained. Every Icom w32, yaesu vx5, Kenwoods, all got wet. Several were sent back for repairs. M y VX7 was not harmed, they said it was water proof, it went through the rain good. Since then, I have packed a sandwich baggie in my to go gear. The ht goes inside, push the antenna through the baggie and poke a hole or two around the mic open. You will hear okay. Or you could use an external speaker mic and just the mic will get wet. .

KK4TTR

I have 3 uv-b6 radios for ham use, bought off amazon. The last one I got shipped from China as pofung, all around $30. They have a nice scanning feature, very fast. Got a programming cable for under $10 off ebay. Use chirp. All set.

KE0GXN

STATEBEAR: Difference between the f8 and f9 is the number on the front. Both are 8 watts, though I would add the 3800 mah battery. Its the biggest battery that I have found. There is a TYT unit, dual band, that is 10 watts. Remember from the Tech Test, double the power, thats a 3dn gain, and is barely discernible to the human ear. Banking storage is the ability for the radio to scan or operate from a limited number of channels rather than the entire radio. The Baofeng has storage for 125 channels so if you arfe scanning those, the radio goes from 1-125 then back to 1. With Banks storage, the radio can scan say 1,4,7,10, then back to 1. The Baofengs are a basic radio, no frills but they have held up for me good. I have a Yaesu vx7, thats 15 years old. Other than 2 battery replacements and dropping from a 50 ft tower and cracking the face plate, , which the radio still operated with a cracked crystal , its been a work horse. Some had comment the uv82, its got many good reports, alittle tougher, alittle more expensive. I have a Wouxan uv8d, then an Anytone Temn8r. The later has all the bells and whistles, 2 tone, bank storage, paging, but 2.5 times more than the uv5 or f8. All the Chinese radiuos have performed exactly like they have advertised. An HT is like a portable computer. Its not a primary piece if gear, handy, but not your prime radio or computer. You will hear many complaints about the Chinese radios, but I have never been told, "its sounds like you are talking on a CCR". Cheap Chinese Radio. Now all HT's have a problem with water. I once operated at an outdoor event where it rained. Every Icom w32, yaesu vx5, Kenwoods, all got wet. Several were sent back for repairs. M y VX7 was not harmed, they said it was water proof, it went through the rain good. Since then, I have packed a sandwich baggie in my to go gear. The ht goes inside, push the antenna through the baggie and poke a hole or two around the mic open. You will hear okay. Or you could use an external speaker mic and just the mic will get wet. .

Thanks for the feedback!

I am thinking the safe bet is to start out with one of these dual-band CCRs, to get my feet wet in the hobby after I earn my ticket. This is all new to me at this point, so who knows what I will think six months to a year from now, I may figure HAM is not for me......so investing prudently at this stage of the game is what I think is best.

Otherwise, yeah I would love to start out with a 10-15K base rig, 40-50 foot tower in my yard, with all manner of high end-top of the line equipment and be talking to some guy in Iceland in two weeks........but I don't think that is going to happen. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.