Whistler Scanner Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Yup, I'm the one distracted. If they can't move forward in scanner design, at some point the market will no longer be sustainable to them. If the scanner line goes away, the antennas for those scanners most likely will too. The more you defend these antennas, the more you show that you don't realize that the important part is that the TRX100/200 failed, there has been no indication of a project to compete with the SDS100/200 almost a year and a half after the TRX100/200 was announced and that the antennas, as good as they may be, are nothing more than attempt to remain relevant in the market while hoping people don't realize their scanners, even the newest ones, are running on 10+ year old technology.

Seriously? NOBODY cares about a "trx100/200", and NOBODY cares about an SDS100/200. I have no need for whatever it is the 100/200's do or would do that you seem to feel we all need. My TRX1 gets ever single freq, system and or talkgroup I require, so I'm good.

Would I like to see ANY or ALL of the manufacturers to manufacture a MODERN DAY with a MODERN INTERFACE scanner with color touchscreen displays, text entry like on a mobile phone, easy sorts, searches, click on scanlists toi enable/disable them? YES!!!! But neither Whistler, Uniden or anybody else has done that, or seems to want to do that. I've been jumping up and down for 10 years now on that subject, heck, look at my tag line below my post!

A post about products that obviously did not make it to market in a thread about antennas available for sale. Perhaps create a new thread titled Unmitigated Whistler Diatribe and really share your thoughts. Hmm...you know, moderators could use that thread as a repository for similar posts.

+Over 80 words in a single sentence, so you got that going for you. A great way to start that thread.

And there ya have it! ;) Vagrant, if he started his own thread, he would not be doing his job of market branding for which he is paid for. ;)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Seriously? NOBODY cares about a "trx100/200", and NOBODY cares about an SDS100/200. I have no need for whatever it is the 100/200's do or would do that you seem to feel we all need. My TRX1 gets ever single freq, system and or talkgroup I require, so I'm good.

Would I like to see ANY or ALL of the manufacturers to manufacture a MODERN DAY with a MODERN INTERFACE scanner with color touchscreen displays, text entry like on a mobile phone, easy sorts, searches, click on scanlists toi enable/disable them? YES!!!! But neither Whistler, Uniden or anybody else has done that, or seems to want to do that. I've been jumping up and down for 10 years now on that subject, heck, look at my tag line below my post!
I guess you missed these?:rolleyes:

And if you don't know what the SDS scanners do, perhaps you're not the best qualified to express an opinion regarding whether anyone else cares about them.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
And if you don't know what the SDS scanners do, perhaps you're not the best qualified to express an opinion regarding whether anyone else cares about them.

And if your posting about another brand SCANNER in a thread titled Whistler ANTENNAS, I guess your not the best qualified person to express their opinion about either antenna's or scanners.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Unlike you, I'm not bashing anybody's products, just pointing out that Uniden did in fact make 2 scanner models with color touchscreens. And except for DMR and NXDN, the HomePatrols scan the same systems as the TRX models.

JustLou

I decided to order the "Desktop muti band w/discone antenna" since I got it for 20% of using the current gift card discount promo going on until Christmas. I'm not expecting too much, but we'll see how it does indoors.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
I decided to order the "Desktop muti band w/discone antenna" since I got it for 20% of using the current gift card discount promo going on until Christmas. I'm not expecting too much, but we'll see how it does indoors.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the antenna.

I also just ordered an Antenna Analyzer, should be here next week. I'm looking forward to to what it shows comparing the Whistler antenna to the many boradband units I've purchased from Amazon and ebay over the years.

JustLou

I have been pleasantly surprised by the antenna.

I also just ordered an Antenna Analyzer, should be here next week. I'm looking forward to to what it shows comparing the Whistler antenna to the many boradband units I've purchased from Amazon and ebay over the years.

I've been using the desktop discone indoors, and I have mixed opinions on it. It works better than I expected on 800MHz, but it's no better than my telescopic Diamond RH789 on UHF and VHF. It might even be slightly poorer on UHF. When winter is over, I'm gonna use it outdoors placed someplace as high as possible and see if it performs better.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I've been using the desktop discone indoors, and I have mixed opinions on it. It works better than I expected on 800MHz, but it's no better than my telescopic Diamond RH789 on UHF and VHF. It might even be slightly poorer on UHF. When winter is over, I'm gonna use it outdoors placed someplace as high as possible and see if it performs better.

I'm not bashing this product, but almost anything will work better outside versus inside. A more valid test would be to compare it to something else outside (mounted in about the same location, at the same height using the same type/length coax).

JustLou

I'm not bashing this product, but almost anything will work better outside versus inside. A more valid test would be to compare it to something else outside (mounted in about the same location, at the same height using the same type/length coax).
This antenna is marketed as an "indoor desktop discone", so that was my main interest. Without a doubt, a dedicated outdoor antenna will blow this thing away if tested side by side outdoors. I'm just curious if it's a major improvement outdoors vs a portable antenna.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
This antenna is marketed as an "indoor desktop discone", so that was my main interest. Without a doubt, a dedicated outdoor antenna will blow this thing away if tested side by side outdoors. I'm just curious if it's a major improvement outdoors vs a portable antenna.

Yep, I understand.

BC2001

Jesse
I know that it's marketed as indoors, but could it still be used as an outdoor antenna? May sound like a silly question, but I still want to be sure.

JustLou

I know that it's marketed as indoors, but could it still be used as an outdoor antenna? May sound like a silly question, but I still want to be sure.
Yes, you can use it outdoors. It’s also marketed as a mobile antenna, although I would never drive around with this on my vehicle even though it has a fairly big magnet mount. It’s quite heavy.

bwinking

Was going to edit and replace with a link to Your post, edit must have timed out
I have the Diamond D220, and the WMM-460 , and several other scanner and amateur antennas, Started monitoring sw in 1963 & vhf radio in 1969.

Last edited:

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Without a doubt, a dedicated outdoor antenna will blow this thing away if tested side by side outdoors.

There is not difference between an "indoor" and an "outdoor" antenna, except for materials used to keep it from rusting from the weather elements and sometimes beefier to withstand wind. But functionally, there is no difference.

Yes, you can use it outdoors. It’s also marketed as a mobile antenna, although I would never drive around with this on my vehicle even though it has a fairly big magnet mount. It’s quite heavy.

I had this on my truck for a week without any issues. As you mentioned the magnet is very strong and heavy, it's not going anywhere.

JustLou

There is not difference between an "indoor" and an "outdoor" antenna, except for materials used to keep it from rusting from the weather elements and sometimes beefier to withstand wind. But functionally, there is no difference

"No difference"? The elements on this antenna are inches long. The elements on an outdoor antenna are feet long.

Status
Not open for further replies.