WS 1040

Status
Not open for further replies.

kensweet48

I am new to scanning. Just purchased a scratch and dent WS 1040. I live in Medina, Ohio, USA. Did I buy the right scanner for my area? Thanks.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Not from the area but just browsing the database here it appears that medina doesn't have any simulcast sites or any tdma. So yeah, it should work just fine. I only see one encrypted tg for the county as well which is good for scanning. The 1040 is a good radio but I highly recommend getting a standalone battery charger and not charging the batteries in the scanner itself.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I don't know how much this system is used. Parma / Medina County / Ottawa County Trunking System, Parma, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies (radioreference.com) Medina County on this system is entirely TDMA which the 1040 cannot decode. The Medina County site is 6 site simulcast which can be a problem receiving with the 1040 depending upon your location. There are also numerous talkgroups for Medina County on the MARCS statewide system. Ohio MARCS-IP: Multi-Agency Radio Communications Trunking System, Statewide, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies (radioreference.com) The Medina County site on this system is not simulcast and should be no problem. The talkgroups are P25 Phase I which your scanner can receive. I suggest that you click on Report and request that your thread be moved to the Ohio forum. There will be members in your immediate area who can better answer your questions about which systems are used and give scanner recommendations..

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Not sure how I completely overlooked the Parma / Medina County / Ottawa County Trunking System, Parma, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies (radioreference.com) system. Whoops.

Status
Not open for further replies.