WyoLink updates

wyomingmedic

I need help finding help on the Laramie County Highway Patrol & Cheyenne PD & FD. Can you help me to find them?

Laramie county WHP is listed under the Wyolink information. Look for the AXO troop talkgroups.

Same for Cheyenne PD and FD. They are 100% wyolink and the listed TGs are accurate

KB9LMJ

Laramie county WHP is listed under the Wyolink information. Look for the AXO troop talkgroups.

Same for Cheyenne PD and FD. They are 100% wyolink and the listed TGs are accurate

I am confused as to which agency is carried on VHF and which is on 800 in the Cheyenne area. Digging through this thread, the best I can figure is the old City of Cheyenne 800 system (which was primarily fire) was depreciated and absorbed into WyoLink; however, now looking at the WyoLink freq. tables, there are several 800 sites around Cheyenne and some public works and Frontier Days TGs listed with the city.

Does Cheyenne fire, public works, Frontier Days, and the regional medical center use 800, and all other agencies in the area, including Cheyenne PD use VHF? That would be extremely confusing and an interoperability nightmare, unless everyone has V/8 radios, or is the 800 system simply a duplicated simulcast of everything on VHF?

Secondarily, a similar issue exists with Natrona County and mixed V/8. How does that system work, as well?

Thanks!

wyomingmedic

Both Cheyenne and Casper have put their 800mhz systems onto the Wyolink system. So, with few exceptions, identical traffic is carried on both 800mhz and VHF in these areas. Of course that all depends on what subscriber units are affiliated at any given time, but primary law and fire talkgroups are basically always heard on VHF and 800 at the same time.

Most of these municipalities have equipped units with dual band radios. But, there are still plenty of monoband users in every area. But since the trunking systems are all combined, it really doesn't matter

KB9LMJ

Both Cheyenne and Casper have put their 800mhz systems onto the Wyolink system. So, with few exceptions, identical traffic is carried on both 800mhz and VHF in these areas. Of course that all depends on what subscriber units are affiliated at any given time, but primary law and fire talkgroups are basically always heard on VHF and 800 at the same time.

Most of these municipalities have equipped units with dual band radios. But, there are still plenty of monoband users in every area. But since the trunking systems are all combined, it really doesn't matter

Much, much appreciated! It looks like all I have to do is load the VHF system and I'll get everything I am looking for.

wyomingmedic

Much, much appreciated! It looks like all I have to do is load the VHF system and I'll get everything I am looking for.

No problem. I primarily stick to just VHF in my vehicle. But if I'm in town and going to be in and out of buildings, having the 800 stuff handy is nice as it works far better in that environment.

Of note, in Wyoming, Casper, Cheyenne, Gillette, and Glenrock all have 800mhz sites that tie into Wyolink as a way to supplement their coverage in structures. Glenrock is a bit of an outlier, but the system manager in the county says they absolutely love having a low level 800 site and that their overall coverage is greatly improved over VHF alone.

Spirit

Premium Subscriber
Can you get VHF down by Ft Collins/Loveland Colorado area for Cheyenne area? I know I can't get Wyolink down here.

wyomingmedic

Can you get VHF down by Ft Collins/Loveland Colorado area for Cheyenne area? I know I can't get Wyolink down here.
I'm not quite sure what you mean as WyoLink is VHF primarily. If by VHF you mean any analog patched channels, there are none in use.

But, the 85 South site covers well into Colorado and mobile units are able to access it when arriving at MCR. Keep in mind these are 110 watt radios into a 5/8th wave on a PERFECT groundplane (ambulance roof) that is 10ish feet in the air.

I don't know if I've had any luck with my scanners that far south, but certainly can on subscriber units. I've been able to get into WyoLink from Greeley before. It probably wouldn't take too much antenna improvement or a small yagi to hear the 85 South tower. It carries a lot of the Cheyenne region traffic.

KB9LMJ

they absolutely love having a low level 800 site and that their overall coverage is greatly improved over VHF alone.

I was thinking this may have been the reason for not abandoning the 800 system in the urban areas. What a neat concept: VHF for the terrain and 800 for in-building coverage, especially if those agencies are using multiband radios that roam automatically between the two systems.

Secondarily, I'm hoping this concept works with my Unication G5. I'm assuming as long as the control channels are in for both V and 800, and the WACN ID is the same on both systems, the Unication should pick up either system based on which one it can hear better and seamlessly roam between them. Here's to hoping!

Thanks for all the info!

wyomingmedic

I was thinking this may have been the reason for not abandoning the 800 system in the urban areas. What a neat concept: VHF for the terrain and 800 for in-building coverage, especially if those agencies are using multiband radios that roam automatically between the two systems.

Secondarily, I'm hoping this concept works with my Unication G5. I'm assuming as long as the control channels are in for both V and 800, and the WACN ID is the same on both systems, the Unication should pick up either system based on which one it can hear better and seamlessly roam between them. Here's to hoping!

I'm curious how the Unication does for you. I haven't played much with them, but by all accounts they make a great receiver.

Yes, with the advent of Motorola making their APX line (and other manufacturers making multiband radios widely available), having VHF and 800 is a seamless way to integrate coverage large areas of terrain while being usable in more urban areas. I know that in Natrona county, where I have my most experience, units with dual band radios essentially don't every have to think about their radios while performing their duties. The old days involved selecting what repeater would cover what area, or being sure that your HT had best exposure to the repeater site; are mostly over. Nothing is 100%, but places like Casper have an incredible radio system that performs extremely well for their agencies.

Some of the others areas that are strictly VHF don't have quite the success, but it is still miles above the performance we had when everything was analog and simulcast via crude copper phone links.

2wayfreq

When programmed correctly, the G5 is an awesome tool on trunked systems...even the VHF performance is great considering it has no external antenna.
Just curious, On a G5, Can I have VHF and 800 control channels in the same CC list??

Thanks