Wyoming Scanner Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark432k

KC0LRU
Premium Subscriber
I apologize for what would seem as a stupid question but I can't find a definate answer. What, if any laws are there in Wyoming related to scanning. I've tried searching the state statutes with no luck.

I was in law enforcement in South Dakota and knew the laws inside and out but I moved to Wyoming three years ago and FINALLY blew the dust off all my radios and am up and running again.

SCPD

QRT
On a different but similar topic, from your understanding what exactly are the South Dakota scanner laws?

mark432k

KC0LRU
Premium Subscriber
On a different but similar topic, from your understanding what exactly are the South Dakota scanner laws?

In a nutshell. Unless you have either an Amateur Radio license or written permission from the respective public safety agency head of who you are monitoring, you cannot have a police scanner in a vehicle or business. It is not a criminal violation, but radio(s) can be seized by law enfocement and sent to the Attorney General's office.

I know of one instance where this occurred, some high school kids were following the police around on calls and they sent the radio to the Attorney General's office per state law. A week later the Attorney General's office sent it back with a note saying to give it back to the kid. While I was in law enforcement there hardly any of my co-workers even knew about this law, thus it never got enforced, only in that one instance that I know of.

You also can't be a felon and possess a scanner. But in South Dakota, you can't do anything if you are a convicted felon :)

If you want to read the laws youself here is the link: South Dakota Codified Laws

WyoWabbit

Typical law, used to rule the people with language nobody can understand! So, if I hear that talkgroup 13148 is called "FIRE DISPATCH" and tell someone else that, I have, according to letter of the law, violated the law. If I hear that a shooter is on the overpass 1 mile ahead of me and get off the road right away, I have used the information I heard for my own personal gain (a violation?!) on and on... - Tom

SCPD

QRT
Thats exactly how I understand the law, just thought Id get a confirmation. With the streaming apps on cell phones, I find this law almost obsolete.

Status
Not open for further replies.