• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XG-100M and features

brian86

Database Admin
That’s handheld control head and interface cable. eBay charges like 18% closing fees plus shipping is included in that price. If it wasn’t for eBay’s excessive fees it would be listed for $380. ($150 for the cable and $230 for the HHC)

brian86

Database Admin
ebay's fees are generally 10 percent and paypal fees are 3 more percent.

I avoid setting reserves as reserve fees can be stupid. I set a lowest bid price equal to my reserve, this costs nothing.
This is getting a little off topic but I want you to see. IMG_1823.jpegI wish they only charged me 10%. Not only do they charge a high percentage (actually maybe 15%) they charge you that fee against the taxed total price then withhold the tax from your payout. Looo at this case of a cable I sell for $150.

mancow

Database Admin
I was surprised to find the CH721 control head can be operated with the HHCH simultaneously. The only issue is the volume control seems to only be driven by the CH721. All the rest seems independent.

merlin

Ya, a new greenlee db25 punch is well over $500… I found mine on the bay for under $150.

@prcguy if you want to borrow my spare 731, I’ll ship it out Friday… I also have a spare interface box if you want to use it for any testing or whatever.

-B
A drill and $30 set of nibblers works.

prcguy

I was surprised to find the CH721 control head can be operated with the HHCH simultaneously. The only issue is the volume control seems to only be driven by the CH721. All the rest seems independent.
Yes, the control head interface is very nice and adaptable. I have converted three of my four XG-100Ms to front mount control head, even the ones used with remote mount control heads because they are so versatile. It looks odd seeing a remote head mobile install using a radio with front mount control head under a seat but I can grab that or any radio at any time and repurpose it as a temporary base station or toss it in another car. Or plug in another remote control head for the back seat driver. I also like when you have multiple control heads, only the ones that are turned on are actually on, like in my mobile install the remote head will be on but the head on the radio under the seat will stay off and dark.

I discovered the Harris SP721 remote which is a control head in a box with power supply and speaker. You plug it into AC power with a long CANbus control cable and its like having a separate radio in another room. And the thin CANbus cable is much easier to run than coax to yet another antenna. I love these radios!!!

s-l500.jpg

And finally, in the exercise to rid my house of Motorola radios I had a Motorola base adapter with speaker attached to an APX mobile that I traded off and found the base adapter fits the XG-100M. This is a much more programming friendly and frequency capable base station setup than the APX radio could ever be. And the XG-100M radio brick was only $249 and I bought an 800MHz XG-75M for $99 and put its control head on this XG-100M. Not a bad radio for under $400 including a new mic. Compare this to a used APX8500 at 10X the price or more and the APX doesn't receive 30-50MHz.

1685108401174.jpeg

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I discovered the SP721 a year or so ago when I stumbled across one on eBay. Was new in the box for a little over $100. It's awesome! Now I have my M7300 setup in my office with the SP721 upstairs. Works fantastic!

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
A drill and $30 set of nibblers works.
…Let me know how that goes punching 20 of them per chassis through 16 gauge steel. I do 20 of them in about 40 min with a drill and an impact.

I didn’t buy the thing to build a one-off, cheap-o adapter for an HHC-731… thanks for the insight though!

-B

mancow

Database Admin
Oh ok. I have some of the bases but none with a speaker. I would be interested depending on cost/shipping. Thanks.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
That’s handheld control head and interface cable. eBay charges like 18% closing fees plus shipping is included in that price. If it wasn’t for eBay’s excessive fees it would be listed for $380. ($150 for the cable and $230 for the HHC)
Wasn't a complaint, just an informational add. People should get paid whatever they think their work is worth. $150 for the cable is not unreasonable, just thought it odd you left out the pricing ;)

mancow

Database Admin
Anyone know what the little block is on the lower right corner of the hand held control head display is or means? I've seen it in pictures of ebay auctions so it's not just mine that does it.

mancow

Database Admin
Anyone know what the little block is on the lower right corner of the hand held control head display is or means? I've seen it in pictures of ebay auctions so it's not just mine that does it.
Nevermind, it's volume level indication.