• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XG-100M and features

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
With this set

With this setup it looks like you would have to use the 44 pin connector to get speaker audio out of the radio.
That's the normal configuration even with the factory hardware. The HHC doesn't have an audio amplifier in it.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
That's the normal configuration even with the factory hardware. The HHC doesn't have an audio amplifier in it.
The HHC does have an audio amp. It’s two watts and works great for headphones or a headset provided you follow the wiring instructions in the manual. I have mine wired to a stereo 3.5mm jack for any old headphones and a mono 2.5mm jack for a standard Harris-style earpiece. It will also play nice with an AUX input on a car stereo so I can put the manpack in any vehicle, connect to the stereo and throw a mag mount on the roof.

-B

prcguy

Just put one of my new (to me) XG-100Ms in my Jeep truck replacing a Yea-Hoo FTM-400XDR. There are tapped holes in the Harris control head that interface with a common RAM mount foot making the install very easy. RAM mount is sticking out the front of the center console.

The ability to scan both CHP VHF-lo and 700MHz extender freqs is great when on the CA freeways. The extenders have limited range so if you hear one its like a radar detector going off, hit the brakes!

1680818488999.jpeg

prcguy

I think there might be enough room inside for a sort of small bridge amp in line of the LB port, something that could bring it up to a few watts to drive an Amti or RAMP-75 etc...
I successfully added an amplifier to an XG-100M for VHF lo band but it falls a little short on power. I got a cheap wideband amp off fleabay to drive a military Tricom RAMP-25 broadband amp which is rated 18-20w out on 12V and 40w out on 28V. I originally thought the Harris put out about 7mw in the VHF lo band but it measures more like 2mw. 7mw should have driven the fleabay amp to full output or about 2.5w, plenty to drive the Tricom amp to full output but I'm only getting a little over a watt out of the fleabay amp.

Here are pics of the parts and setup which when tapped into a PTT line will key the transfer relay providing a straight through receive path then switching the Harris to the fleabay amp and on the Tricom amp and antenna on transmit. All my work benches are buried today so I had to use a chair as a workbench for this test. One pic shows the power out of the fleabay amp and the other show power out of the Tricom amp.

1680820591886.jpeg
1680820659848.jpeg

1680820763333.jpeg

1680820720256.jpeg

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
I successfully added an amplifier to an XG-100M for VHF lo band but it falls a little short on power. I got a cheap wideband amp off fleabay to drive a military Tricom RAMP-25 broadband amp which is rated 18-20w out on 12V and 40w out on 28V. I originally thought the Harris put out about 7mw in the VHF lo band but it measures more like 2mw. 7mw should have driven the fleabay amp to full output or about 2.5w, plenty to drive the Tricom amp to full output but I'm only getting a little over a watt out of the fleabay amp.

Here are pics of the parts and setup which when tapped into a PTT line will key the transfer relay providing a straight through receive path then switching the Harris to the fleabay amp and on the Tricom amp and antenna on transmit. All my work benches are buried today so I had to use a chair as a workbench for this test. One pic shows the power out of the fleabay amp and the other show power out of the Tricom amp.

View attachment 139676
View attachment 139677

View attachment 139680

View attachment 139679
That’s really curious about power output. One of mine is 9mW. I’ve not measured the other. Mind sharing the flea bay amp part number or listing? Does the part happen to be part 90 certified? We have some lo-band users that we assist from time to time…

Thanks,
Brian

prcguy

That’s really curious about power output. One of mine is 9mW. I’ve not measured the other. Mind sharing the flea bay amp part number or listing? Does the part happen to be part 90 certified? We have some lo-band users that we assist from time to time…

Thanks,
Brian
I thought I had measured more drive power but I have two radios here and I need to measure them again. Here is the driver amp I used and there is no FCC cert on an amp like this and there doesn't need to be on a driver amp. 1-1000Mhz 2.5W RF Power Amplifier for HF FM Transmitter Vhf Uhf Rf Ham Radio AMP | eBay

The Tricom output amp is very smart, has built in frequency measurement and it automatically selects an output band pass filter with about -70dBc specs for harmonics. The Tricom amp is good for 30-512Mhz and I'm only tickling it with 33-48Mhz on this radio.

prcguy

Just discovered by accident the fleabay amplifier does not saturate in a typical way, it peaks out then folds back the power when overdriven and I was overdriving it. Using a variable 1dB step attenuator I found the sweet spot and its driving the Tricom final amp to about 23w out when the Tricom is operating off 12v and 29w when running of 28v. There is plenty of power from the Harris radio for this cheap fleabay amplifier which then drives the larger Tricom final amplifier.

I also discovered the XG-100M will do military 150Hz tone encode and decode, perfect for setting these up for military VHF lo band scanning. Notice the service monitor showing 29 watts of power and also a 149.99Hz encode tone at 757Hz deviation.

1680832878103.jpeg

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I have an XG100M now and I've only begun setting up the programming. I really know nothing about low band mil scanning, is this 150 Hz tone a standard feature of low band mil coms?
There are some Harris RF-5800 radios on fleabay right now. A pair of them. Too bad, if it was just one and not a pair I might be able to afford it.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Just discovered by accident the fleabay amplifier does not saturate in a typical way, it peaks out then folds back the power when overdriven and I was overdriving it. Using a variable 1dB step attenuator I found the sweet spot and its driving the Tricom final amp to about 23w out when the Tricom is operating off 12v and 29w when running of 28v. There is plenty of power from the Harris radio for this cheap fleabay amplifier which then drives the larger Tricom final amplifier.

I also discovered the XG-100M will do military 150Hz tone encode and decode, perfect for setting these up for military VHF lo band scanning. Notice the service monitor showing 29 watts of power and also a 149.99Hz encode tone at 757Hz deviation.

View attachment 139700
So I’ve not messed with this much, but the Harris radios should support any CTCSS frequency… I can put random numbers into RPM2 (like 68.0 or 76.0) and it accepts the value. in RPM, the decimal point is important. If there is a decimal point, you are entering CTCSS, and if there is no decimal point, you are entering a DCS value.

I have an XG100M now and I've only begun setting up the programming. I really know nothing about low band mil scanning, is this 150 Hz tone a standard feature of low band mil coms?
There are some Harris RF-5800 radios on fleabay right now. A pair of them. Too bad, if it was just one and not a pair I might be able to afford it.
The military and “NATO standard” CTCSS is 150 dead. That’s all I know.

-B

prcguy

The old Vietnam era mil radio voice and tone standard was +/- 15KHz voice deviation and 150Hz tone at +/- 3KHz deviation and at the same time commercial/amateur specs were much narrower at +/- 5KHz total voice/tone deviation and 750Hz tone deviation. The current military standard is 5KHz voice deviation and the tone deviation is less than 3KHz and around 1.5KHz depending on radio make and model. This is to ensure the transmit tone deviation is high enough to trigger older mil radios tone squelch.

With that said the XG-100M does not have enough tone deviation to work with older mil radios like PRC-77s, RT-524s, etc, but should be ok with modern mil radios made from the mid 1980s on. The XG-100M receive tone squelch should be ok with any mil radio using 150Hz tone.

Decfair99

Premium Subscriber
hello prcguy. what was the rf bypass relay you used with the “preamp”? how are you figuring on triggering it? is there an output from the xg100m on one of the connector? thanks. Jeff N2IA.