• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS5000 RADIO WITH FRONT PANEL PROGRAMMING (FPP) FEATURE

nokones

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any experience with the subject radio. I just acquired my first FPP XTS5000 radio just to see if I would like it or not and try to master the programming of this radio. It is definitely a different animal. Is it normal for the first seventeen Conventional Personalities be hard program whereas you can only change a couple of the settings like power setting Analog or Astro Digital, Scan List, etc.?

Also, you can not change the change the conventional personalities in Zone 1 and they are hard programmed personalities 1 through 16 for each of the 16 channels. In addition, you can not insert channels or zones except for at the end nor can you move any channel or zone around.

I haven't learned how to do the FPP yet and I'm not sure that it is a big deal for me to FPP. I have well over 500 channels programmed in 35 zones that very well meets my needs for not only GMRS but also my Part 90 freqs as well.

I think the FPP feature on this radio not only limits my ability to amend the data my moving things around and insert as I please, but I think the FPP feature is overrated. I prefer that I have the ability to amend (insert and/or move) the data in the Zone Assignments more than having the ability to FPP the radio.

Is it normal for the 16 fixed personalities be like that in the first Zone?

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Someone has already modified the programming somewhat for you. Usually there are 256 Personalities (and some will wrongly tell you that's all you can have) in a 16 Zone X 16 Per format, with a Personality required to be used per channel. In your CP, Zone 1 will retain FPP, and the other Zones can do with 1 Personality per Zone. It's an interesting idea, but mostly a pain. Everyone I know long ago had that feature removed from their XTS radios for the exact reason you are frustrated - unable to reorder channels in the Zone, etc.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
Essentially, I just left Zone 1 alone and added my custom/personal 35 zones. Also, I just added my 11 custom/personal Conventional Personalities from 21 to number 31 to reflect my same numbering 1-11 personalities in my other non-FPP radios to standardize my numbering scheme but just added the 2 in front.
In the scheme of things, it really don't make any difference in my Zone naming or numbering because I name my zones and they are in alphabetical order as I scroll through and I just ignore the FPP Zone. As I view the display on the radio as I scroll through the zones it plays like my other radios.

I'll probably won't be buying another FPP radio in the future. This radio was cheap and appears like a brand new radio so I had to buy.

AES-256-Encryption

Was: Jakeeeeeeee737372
Does anyone have any experience with the subject radio. I just acquired my first FPP XTS5000 radio just to see if I would like it or not and try to master the programming of this radio. It is definitely a different animal. Is it normal for the first seventeen Conventional Personalities be hard program whereas you can only change a couple of the settings like power setting Analog or Astro Digital, Scan List, etc.?

Also, you can not change the change the conventional personalities in Zone 1 and they are hard programmed personalities 1 through 16 for each of the 16 channels. In addition, you can not insert channels or zones except for at the end nor can you move any channel or zone around.

I haven't learned how to do the FPP yet and I'm not sure that it is a big deal for me to FPP. I have well over 500 channels programmed in 35 zones that very well meets my needs for not only GMRS but also my Part 90 freqs as well.

I think the FPP feature on this radio not only limits my ability to amend the data my moving things around and insert as I please, but I think the FPP feature is overrated. I prefer that I have the ability to amend (insert and/or move) the data in the Zone Assignments more than having the ability to FPP the radio.

Is it normal for the 16 fixed personalities be like that in the first Zone?
the FPP feature is just something that federal agents use. i have touched FPP on my apx 1 time in the last 6 months. its just over rated in general. but hey, ebay has apx radios that have fpp for 2400. you will slowly find out alot of features are useless lol

nokones

Premium Subscriber
I only played with the FPP a couple of times but never used the channel slot where I played with the feature. Why I bought three of these radios, I don't know, I guess I'm just stupid however, I got great deal on them, and they look brand new. I don't see what they are all cracked up to be probably because I have the CPS and I can change the cumbersome program when necessary.

Stick with the non-FPP feature radio.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
the FPP feature is just something that federal agents use. i have touched FPP on my apx 1 time in the last 6 months. its just over rated in general. but hey, ebay has apx radios that have fpp for 2400. you will slowly find out alot of features are useless lol
FPP was not for Federal Agents. FPP was for federal wildland Firefighting use on the XTS2500 originally. It could have been used by FEMA teams

nokones

Premium Subscriber
FPP was not for Federal Agents. FPP was for federal wildland Firefighting use on the XTS2500 originally. It could have been used by FEMA teams
I've always felt that agents and cops have a thing about doing anything more than pushing a single button when comes to operating a radio. 99.9% of agents and cops don't have a clue how to operate a radio other than the volume and PT-T.

Last edited:

ecps92

you must have meant AGENCIES, not AGENTS - never seen an Agent need or use FPP :cool:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I've always felt that agents and cops have a thing about doing anything more than pushing a single button when comes to operating a radio. 99.9% of agents and cops don't have a clue how to operate a radio other than the volume and PT-T.
And that's how it's supposed to be. "Agents and cops" don't have any need for FPP and that's not who it was intended for.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
FPP in the XTS series is cumbersome at best for VHF/UHF, and useless for 7/800MHz.

Buy a cable and learn how to program the radio with CPS.

Besides, you need a cable and CPS to initially set up your FPP analogue personalities, FPP digital personalities and zones.

Way easier to just properly program it by computer.

AES-256-Encryption

Was: Jakeeeeeeee737372
FPP in the XTS series is cumbersome at best for VHF/UHF, and useless for 7/800MHz.

Buy a cable and learn how to program the radio with CPS.

Besides, you need a cable and CPS to initially set up your FPP analogue personalities, FPP digital personalities and zones.

Way easier to just properly program it by computer.
heres what I can say, program the **** you need, and have FPP enabled so IF you need to edit a perimeter you can, for ex, your hiking with a group of whackers, they have there apx8000 and they say to use 167.855. you dont have that !!! good think you have either A a backpack with a laptop and cables, or B FPP, then you goto your 2-3 FPP zones preconfigured and edit it. I own 1 apx with FPP and i will say it is **** compared to XTS because you CANT! i mean cant add channels, but in astro CPS you get 10000 personalities, apx is far deferent and you can have every other zone have fpp or not, and you dont need 10000 personalities. if you wanna see apx fpp theres videos, maybe ill send some pics in a minute