Yaesu FT1DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9upc

Since you have had sometime to play with the equipment I have a few questions for the OP.

1.) Does the digital side of Yaesu's product line (Fusion) have any settings such as something SIMILAR to PL or DPL?

2.) Is the repeater able to operated or controlled remotely without an external repeater controller? Such as DTMF control to turn the repeater on/off, deactivate tones, etc... I had heard they have some sort of control with Yeasu's PL mix tone technology but I am trying to confirm this with users in the field.

3a.) Finally, if you set-up the repeater in an AMS format or straight digital format does the audio become decoded to analog and output it on the back of the repeater for the external controller or does it stay digital? Looking at linking possibilities in regards to seeing if someone talks in digital on the repeater and has a conversation and it links to a non-Fusion repeater how we can over come this issue.

3b.) On the flip side if you are running a set-up in AMS for the input (uplink) and fixed FM for the putput (downlink) does the audio come out in an analog format on the connector in the back for the external controller?

In looking at the manual it appears that they took a page out of the Motorola Maxtrac/Desktrac book and made it so that the FT-1DRx is actually an FT-400DR placed into a 19 in rack with power connections and such.

Please give us an update on how things are going and doing with your project.

tateconcepts

K5CDR
Thanks for sharing your experiences Eric.

How is FT1DR battery life if you leave GPS turned on, how long does it last? Do you have the standard or extended 1800mAh battery?

If you have experience with other older Yaesu HT's, can you comment if Yaesu perhaps improved scanning speed on FT1DR or it is pretty much same as older units.

I bought the black model and it comes standard with the 1800mAh battery. GPS will drain your battery, so turn it off if not needed. I recommend it's use is warranted with APRS on VFO B and working either the 2m/70cm bands on VFO A or C4FM digital IF someone around you has a repeater. Someone previously mentioned how Yaesu dropped the ball sending out the wrong person for the right job at the hamfest. Corporations do it all the time, my cyber security company does it - even with the DOD. What I like about C4FM digital modes is that they work very well with mobile handoffs from other repeaters, similar to Nextel back in the day. The problem with Yaesu is that they wanted their own way, otherwise pay royalties to someone else and with no other benefit to interop. I like interop, would be nice but unless we are on analog. It's not going to happen. I have been getting some weird issues with the APRS but I think that's me, not the device as others have it working correctly and mine is only getting info from. I need to upgrade the antenna and then I presume all will be well again.

Might I also add, it is interesting to listen to an AM or FM band while having APRS on VFO B and 70cm on VFO A - all at the same time! I wish there were more of you in North DFW having these on DCARA so we could use the digital abilities to send messages, images or whatever. It's a pretty interesting system and I like it's functionality when you do have the repeaters around. Smooth operator...

Stephen

One issue I was concerned with before purchasing, was if the ease of use is better than D-STAR.. Let me clarify that statement, from my little experience D-STAR is not as easy as dialing in the repeater and talking you must go through a series of menus and settings in order to talk.. So is this new format easier to use or does it require the same tedious effort?

tateconcepts

K5CDR
Sure Stephen. Maybe we can show these DStar guys just how easy these are.

No silly menus, just access a Yaesu C4FM repeater with the tone and your good to go. Simplex allows direct messaging and imaging too, the only catch on imaging is you can only view them with the optional mic and camera and the base mobile. The HT will just capture and store images, but I could be wrong about that in the docs because it mainly describes repeater usage with other digital users.

I do know however, you WILL like this HT enough to WANT other users and a repeater if possible. Many users on here who wrote they have the repeaters love them as much as agencies like their P25 implementations.

Regards,
Brian

tateconcepts

K5CDR
There is no LAW as Part 97 is not a law enacted by the Supreme Court, it is a RULE.
ARES is a volunteer public safety org. with "Command Staff (being NIMS ICS). Therefore based on your logic, Command staff of your local ARES group would be employees also and in violation of the rule.Also, amateur radio operators who use the local ARES repeater to talk and rag chew would also be in violation of Part 97 as this type of communication can be accomplished based on other means. (i.e email or phone)

§97.111 Authorized transmissions.

(a) An amateur station may transmit the following types of two-way communications:

(1) Transmissions necessary to exchange messages with other stations in the amateur service, except those in any country whose administration has notified the ITU that it objects to such communications. The FCC will issue public notices of current arrangements for international communications.

(2) Transmissions necessary to meet essential communication needs and to facilitate relief actions.

Here is some more examples for you

Ham Radio Helps Out with Mountain Rescue

HAM Radio & Emergency Communications : Red Rock Search and Rescue

Santa Fe Amateur Radio Club - Article by K5PMC

Pulaski County Amateur Radio Search & Rescue Team

And the list goes on... If you have nothing nice to say, dont say it at all. The point of this forum post was to give a review of a new radio. Not for Keyboard Warriors to flame me.

And you are right SOME SAR teams have licenses, but the are attached to other government agencies. In Florida, this is NOT the case. We have access to the State Mutual Aid repeaters, but this is for disasters. We have done research, and have lawyers on the team who have also done research. Based on what we do, and the few times we do it, this is the best system for us. MULTIPLE teams around the US also do this, so what does that tell you?

And more.....

Public Service -- The Upper Rio FM Society

0:00am Search and Rescue and Ham Radio (Adam Shepherd Room A)
Bud Dixon KG4AFQ of the Jefferson County Search Dog Association presents how they use Amateur Radio to communicate during emergency search and rescues and how they keep track of the dogs and teams using APRS. JCSDA.com offers more information about their volunteer organization, plus a kids area to learn more about search and rescue dogs.

ERICEMT,

I totally back you. I'm with Denton County, Texas EOC CERT Team and also a MARS applicant. My grandfather did 42 years with the USDOD and US Army Texas NG to ensure emergency operations when needed. If the FCC has a problem with valid use of our operations, they can take it up with either DHS or DOD. We use D-Star here but some of us are long time Yaesu fans and know the benefits of having System Fusion over D-Star. Both are great systems, but it depends on who and what you are dealing with and where. We have a very populous county here with the 77th highest tax rate in the US. We have a ton of water here, not to mention people between Fort Worth and Dallas. C4FM allows better mobile handoffs than D-Star when in mobile operations. This is obvious if you are in a moving vehicle and are not using a P25 system with local LE (although some are still analog for interop sake and with the amount of people here, I'm not sure P25 will help us too much other than going straight encrypted)(I can't talk about that of course as we all know likely by now of RR moderation rules).

Engtech1980

Very bad reception on the UHF (analog mode)

I have experienced a very bad quality of reception my Yaesu FT-1DR on the FRS/GMRS channels and frequencies above 440 MHz.
For example, while I have quiet good communication between my walkie-talkies Cobra CXR825 on the FRS channels, the Yaesu FT-1DR just remains silent.
Another example, even my cheap Chinese radio Puxing PX-UV973 receives much better than FT-1DR on the 452.350 and 461.925 MHz (it is taxi frequencies in my town). While sound of Puxing is clear and loud, the reception of FT-1DR is weak, unstable, and has significant background noise.

Meanwhile on the VHF band reception of FT-1DR seems Ok.

I tried different antennas and adjustments, nothing helped. It seems like FT-1DR has very poor sensitivity on these frequencies.

Has anybody had such experience? I wonder whether only my radio has such drawback, or it is just feature all these radios. How can I make sure?

P.S. The FT-1DR DST:USA, TYP: A2, software ver. 2.04, DSP ver.1.07

Thanks.

N8OHU

Sure Stephen. Maybe we can show these DStar guys just how easy these are.

No silly menus, just access a Yaesu C4FM repeater with the tone and your good to go. Simplex allows direct messaging and imaging too, the only catch on imaging is you can only view them with the optional mic and camera and the base mobile. The HT will just capture and store images, but I could be wrong about that in the docs because it mainly describes repeater usage with other digital users.

I do know however, you WILL like this HT enough to WANT other users and a repeater if possible. Many users on here who wrote they have the repeaters love them as much as agencies like their P25 implementations.

Regards,
Brian

And the ID-31/ID-51/ID-5100 are even easier; turn on the GPS and let it find where you are at, and it loads the known repeaters for your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.