Yagi recommendations/instructions

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Premium Subscriber
Heya. Finally received my actual authorization on the ULS. I’ll be on the air probably early monday.

Anyhow, does anyone know of a good resource for building a yagi/directional from scratch?

I live in an apartment, so something that’s small enough to put in a closet but has a decent tx/rx on 2 and 6 meters is what I’m after. I could buy one, but what’s the fun in that when I could do it myself.

I already have a D220R discone, but I believe that a yagi might work well in hitting the many repeaters around Little Rock with more accuracy better.

Any recommendations would help!

73’s.

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Premium Subscriber
Just a 2 element Yagi for 6m would not fit most closets with the longest element being over 10ft long and a boom length probably 5ft.

Yep that’s what I’m reading. I’m trying to find a portable solution for this issue, but I’m running into a size and efficiency issue.

K7MEM

Congratulations on obtaining your license. Now is when the fun/learning starts. However, operating from an apartment has some pretty serious limitations. Is there any possibility of accessing the roof or some external arrangement?

I have a 3-element 2 Meter Yagi that I bought in 1967. The boom length is around 3-1/2'. And because it is directional, it needs room to be rotated. Plus, most 2 Meter antennas are vertically polarized, so the elements need to be vertical. I have my antenna on top of a 20' mast with a rotator. So you would need to have a pretty big closet. A 6 Meter Yagi would certainly not fit easily in a closet.

You might want to do a google search on "6 and 2 meter EFHW". There are several videos on building them from scratch. This is a simple antenna that can be a little directional and may work better than your current antenna.

You might want to look into a simple folded dipole made from twin lead. That was the first antenna I ever made back in 1967. I only had some scraps of twin lead and coax, but that was enough to build the dipole and a 4:1 coaxial balun. I taped it on the wall about 6 feet above my head and it worked great with my Heathkit Twoer. But that was back when 2 Meters was mostly AM. Before FM repeaters. However, the antenna will still work today.

One of the questions you also need to answer is, do you have the equipment to test and adjust the antenna, if you build it yourself? You don't need much to start off, but a good SWR meter would be essential. A VNA or antenna analyzer of some type would be better. That will give you a bigger picture of your antenna's matching across the band.

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Premium Subscriber
Congratulations on obtaining your license. Now is when the fun/learning starts. However, operating from an apartment has some pretty serious limitations. Is there any possibility of accessing the roof or some external arrangement?

I have a 3-element 2 Meter Yagi that I bought in 1967. The boom length is around 3-1/2'. And because it is directional, it needs room to be rotated. Plus, most 2 Meter antennas are vertically polarized, so the elements need to be vertical. I have my antenna on top of a 20' mast with a rotator. So you would need to have a pretty big closet. A 6 Meter Yagi would certainly not fit easily in a closet.

You might want to do a google search on "6 and 2 meter EFHW". There are several videos on building them from scratch. This is a simple antenna that can be a little directional and may work better than your current antenna.

You might want to look into a simple folded dipole made from twin lead. That was the first antenna I ever made back in 1967. I only had some scraps of twin lead and coax, but that was enough to build the dipole and a 4:1 coaxial balun. I taped it on the wall about 6 feet above my head and it worked great with my Heathkit Twoer. But that was back when 2 Meters was mostly AM. Before FM repeaters. However, the antenna will still work today.

One of the questions you also need to answer is, do you have the equipment to test and adjust the antenna, if you build it yourself? You don't need much to start off, but a good SWR meter would be essential. A VNA or antenna analyzer of some type would be better. That will give you a bigger picture of your antenna's matching across the band.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, no roof access, as I'm currently in a "carriage house" type arraignment and the lease has a strict "No antenna" policy in it. The reason why I'm thinking of getting a directional antenna in the first place is to try and get around the limitations of operating inside.

Now, I can go out onto my porch and set up something temporarily there. Another option is using an antenna and a tripod and working out of the back of my Tahoe. The only reason I mentioned a yagi is that I know they're great for directional needs. I'm well within the range of a couple of repeaters here in Little Rock, but I'd like to get something that's portable that can be set up with a few minutes of work and that's small.

I have been shopping around for an SWR meter and an Antenna Analyzer. I've thought about experimenting with simple wire antennas first and working from there.

I should also mention I'll be using strictly HT's for the time being, until I'm in a living situation that allows the use of some base stations.

You have some rather heavy restriction on what you can use there, Tex ;)

You can probably string up a six metre dipole in your apartment-- and I can a-test that they will work surprisingly well if the other stations are nearby and/or there is skip on the band. But anything else on 6 will most likely prove too physically awkward... 6 metre beams are just too big for most reasonable sized apartments.

2 metre's, on the other hand, my be ok-- a 3 element beam mounted on your tripod may do nicely. It will give your place an interesting metal Objet d’art -- but art is in the eyes of the beholder-- if you are like me it may fit in to your decor just fine :).

You have a porch....I would think a mobile magnet mount mobile antenna on some sort of steel base as a ground-plane would be better than any rubber duck antenna on your HT......and quite invisible to a landlord.....

Ham radio is all about experimenting- welcome to the club !

Lauri

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Premium Subscriber
You have some rather heavy restriction on what you can use there, Tex ;)

You can probably string up a six metre dipole in your apartment-- and I can a-test that they will work surprisingly well if the other stations are nearby and/or there is skip on the band. But anything else on 6 will most likely prove too physically awkward... 6 metre beams are just too big for most reasonable sized apartments.

2 metre's, on the other hand, my be ok-- a 3 element beam mounted on your tripod may do nicely. It will give your place an interesting metal Objet d’art -- but art is in the eyes of the beholder-- if you are like me it may fit in to your decor just fine :).

You have a porch....I would think a mobile magnet mount mobile antenna on some sort of steel base as a ground-plane would be better than any rubber duck antenna on your HT......and quite invisible to a landlord.....

Ham radio is all about experimenting- welcome to the club !

Lauri

Would my D220R on a baking sheet or a piece of flat steel be a decent enough stopgap?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I'm well within the range of a couple of repeaters here in Little Rock, but I'd like to get something that's portable that can be set up with a few minutes of work and that's small.
A 2M 5/8 wave mag mount antenna also works well as a 6M 1/4 wave antenna. Not directional, but fills your requirements for 2M / 6M, portable, set up / take down quickly, and is relatively small compared to other antennas. It is certainly going to work fine mobile with the Tahoe. Buy two and put one in the closet rather than have to move a single mag mount antenna all the time. HOWEVER, since the Tahoe isn't likely to fit in the closet, you'll need something to replace the RF counterpoise / ground plane provided by the the vehicle's body. A large metal cookie sheet is what many use.

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Premium Subscriber
A 2M 5/8 wave mag mount antenna also works well as a 6M 1/4 wave antenna. Not directional, but fills your requirements for 2M / 6M, portable, set up / take down quickly, and is relatively small compared to other antennas. It is certainly going to work fine mobile with the Tahoe. Buy two and put one in the closet rather than have to move a single mag mount antenna all the time. HOWEVER, since the Tahoe isn't likely to fit in the closet, you'll need something to replace the RF counterpoise / ground plane provided by the the vehicle's body. A large metal cookie sheet is what many use.

I’ll look into one of those. Something like this: https://www.walcottradio.com/meter-58-wave-magnetic-antenna-p-2826.html , right?

Only reason I mentioned the closet is because my landlord really doesn’t like antennas. Complains a lot about a neighbor who has one on their roof. Didn’t get lucky at all in that regard.

Would a normal HT 2m 5/8 antenna like a Comet SMA-24J be worth the buy as well?

FKimble

For the HT, get a Smiley 5/8th wave 2m antenna, about 11 inches long. Forget the yagi, get a good name brand 1/4 wave 2m such as Larson, Pulse, Laird and a couple others and a mag-mount base. Mount it on a small pushup type pole from Home Depot/Lowes and a length of coax to add to the approx12-17 ft of coax that comes with the mount. Use a tripod to hold it. Will need to make 4 radials for the ground plane,very simple. Your in a hilly area, a 5/8ths has a flattened transmission, the 1/4 will work better.

Frank

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
What radio are you using for 6 Meters? An HT? I think your spec request for one antenna for both 6M and 2M is complicating some of the responses you’re getting. Do you really want 6M and 2M in one antenna? If so, that is best done within your home restrictions with a mobile antenna. So I’m assuming you have or will get a 6M capable radio with the intent to work 6M FM repeaters / mobiles? Those stations will be vertically polarized. If you’re planning 6M SSB they are horizontal, and a vertical antenna will not work very well for them. And that is why the question regarding which 6M radio.

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Premium Subscriber
What radio are you using for 6 Meters? An HT? I think your spec request for one antenna for both 6M and 2M is complicating some of the responses you’re getting. Do you really want 6M and 2M in one antenna? If so, that is best done within your home restrictions with a mobile antenna. So I’m assuming you have or will get a 6M capable radio with the intent to work 6M FM repeaters / mobiles? Those stations will be vertically polarized. If you’re planning 6M SSB they are horizontal, and a vertical antenna will not work very well for them. And that is why the question regarding which 6M radio.

Alrighty, after looking at the repeaters listed that’s closest to my location, they’re all 2m from 146.9 to 147.315 MHz. The majority of listed repeaters that will be in areas I’m in are within this.

2m for now, and if there are 6m repeaters I come across, I’ll just use EchoLink to get my fix. Turns out there are less 6m repeaters here in AR than I thought. I’ll hold off on trying to get 6m.

Repeater list is at Central Arkansas Radio Emergency Net . I’m in Pulaski County, AR. I’ll be using a FT-70DR and a QRZ-1. I have plans to get a FT-60 as well.

Apologies for the confusion. Still wrapping my head around things.

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Premium Subscriber
For the HT, get a Smiley 5/8th wave 2m antenna, about 11 inches long. Forget the yagi, get a good name brand 1/4 wave 2m such as Larson, Pulse, Laird and a couple others and a mag-mount base. Mount it on a small pushup type pole from Home Depot/Lowes and a length of coax to add to the approx12-17 ft of coax that comes with the mount. Use a tripod to hold it. Will need to make 4 radials for the ground plane,very simple. Your in a hilly area, a 5/8ths has a flattened transmission, the 1/4 will work better.

Frank

Thank you for the recommendation. I’ll look into this.

Would my D220R on a baking sheet or a piece of flat steel be a decent enough stopgap?................

Those are both good ideas, though a baking sheet is most likely aluminium----and a magnet mount would not stick to it. I have used a square of "Hardware Cloth" ----- that galvanized mesh available at all hardware stores. Its cheap and works like a champ :).

I think getting your antenna outside is a major consideration, and even a mag-mount antenna on a ground plane may surpass an indoor beam....may....

Lauri

Cindy 6.jpg

prcguy

I’ll look into one of those. Something like this: https://www.walcottradio.com/meter-58-wave-magnetic-antenna-p-2826.html , right?

Only reason I mentioned the closet is because my landlord really doesn’t like antennas. Complains a lot about a neighbor who has one on their roof. Didn’t get lucky at all in that regard.

Would a normal HT 2m 5/8 antenna like a Comet SMA-24J be worth the buy as well?
There is a law that gives you the right as a renter to have a TV or satellite dish of reasonable size at the worst case in a common area like a balcony or fenced in yard. There are instructions on how to make some mods to a DirecTV or similar dish to make it into a dual band 2m/70cm "slot antenna" so you should be able to put that outdoors somewhere and get on the air.

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Premium Subscriber
Post in thread 'Apartment living antenna'
Apartment living antenna

Appreciate the information! I'll look into a J pole. I have several floor-to-ceiling windows that have a clear view of the outside. I think that might work best since it's a little more portable. I could use the old pushpin in the wall and just plug the hole when I'm done method mentioned in that thread. I didn't know roll-up J poles existed.

Something like this: Dual band 2M / 70CM Slim Jim Antenna with 10' or 16' Cable. (Connector: SMA Male)

As far as other antennas go, I'm going to look into the satellite dish and keep the mag mount idea. A satellite dish sounds like an interesting project. An antenna analyzer and SWR meter are on my shopping list for when I get the extra funds for them.

I'll be moving in a couple of months, so I'm not going to spend a lot now and see what happens then. I appreciate all the help from yall though.

For now, My FT-70D has come in and I have it programmed, now it's just a case of getting in the right spot.

Last edited: