Yahoo groups is pulling the plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Well first they pulled all the files these groups were storing, now it seems the plug is being pulled....from their website...
=========================
We’re shutting down the Yahoo Groups website on December 15, 2020 and members will no longer be able to send or receive emails from Yahoo Groups
=========================

More of a migration to Facebook and groups.io, I would expect....Mike

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep I have been getting my notifications. Yahoo seems to be going through some type of flux. As of a certain date coming up you will not be able to use aftermarket apps for their email. They recommend their own app or just signing into the website.

GB46

Something tells me that Yahoo's next moves may be to get rid of their other services, like Flickr, then disappear altogether. After all, their site has been using Bing's search engine for quite some time now, so without Groups and Flickr, etc. Yahoo would be redundant. When I first started using the internet years ago Yahoo was the de facto search engine, as Google hadn't arrived yet.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yes I have been using Yahoo for a long long time. They were the number one search site. They used to be the number one dating site also, far bigger than match or any of the others.

Yahoo groups were also very very popular. Yahoo has been seriously compromised a few times and I guess that didn't help things. Too bad about the groups getting shut down.

Xray

Didn't know the groups were still around and I doubt if I have used them since 1999 or so ,,, I stopped browsing yahoo completely after they stopped letting people comment on news articles, the single reason why I kept them in my bookmarks.

They sure named themselves right, bunch of yahoos. who seem to enjoy shooting themselves in the foot.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Yahoo was one of the first companies to have total disregard for peoples privacy. They were also one of the first to sell user's profile information.

Too bad, so sad to see them go! BYE! (n)

Boombox

I loved using Yahoo, before they went purple a few years ago.

Right after they went purple the activity dropped on all the radio groups.

I'll miss Yahoo, if they do go away... for sentimental reasons. For a while, if you were into radio, they were the place to go discuss them.

etnad2

Something tells me that Yahoo's next moves may be to get rid of their other services, like Flickr, then disappear altogether. After all, their site has been using Bing's search engine for quite some time now, so without Groups and Flickr, etc. Yahoo would be redundant. When I first started using the internet years ago Yahoo was the de facto search engine, as Google hadn't arrived yet.
Flickr sold to Smugmug quite a while ago.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Yep I have been getting my notifications. Yahoo seems to be going through some type of flux. As of a certain date coming up you will not be able to use aftermarket apps for their email. They recommend their own app or just signing into the website.
What about the at&t email domains that are on Yahoo servers? Domains like sbcglobal.net and att.net are all Yahoo based email domains even though at&t supplied them as did SBC before they bought the old at&t and renamed themselves at&t.

I still have a boatload of sbcglobal.net and att.net email address's that I use daily. It would be a shame if they discontinue those or force users to stop using programs like Outlook.
I don't use email cell phone "apps" so that loss will not bother me but I'd imagine it will be a hassle for many others if they change the at&t domains along with the yahoo domain for email and force users to use specific cell phone "apps".

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Ive had yahoo emails since the beginning. And they've been a huge pain the ass. All but the very recent address I dont use for anything have been stolen in all their glorious data hacks.

I have the yahoo mail app because I pulled the plug on all the passwords and went with Account Key security. Wayy to many companies have been hacked. I think my first yahoo has been leaked a dozen times and I used to get alerts for attempted logins all time. Thank god for account key. I still get alerts that Vietnam is trying to login at 3am but quashed any recent ones outside the couuntry. I dont like passwords anymore, if any wesbite is getting a password I usually give it the name of the site for easy reference. Each account = new password

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
They were also guilty of sending people a lot of spam. Fortunately there was a way to turn all of that off - I haven't gotten any junk from Yahoo in a very long time. It's a moot point now, of course. I'm going to have to yank all the Yahoo groups links out of the wiki. This is going to take some time, for sure

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
When Yahoo first came out it was great and had a lot to offer. But each time they made a change, it was in a downward direction. They've made it more difficult to use with each change. I figured it was only time before they just totally disappear. Oh well.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Yep!

I think I used to access some usenet groups via a dial-up BBS board if my old memory is worth a hoot.

I think back in the early 80's through the 90's they were a better source of information than Yahoo ever hoped to be. Maybe they still are! I haven't been on there in over a decade and I was very surprised to find out they're alive and well! About the only thing I found worthwhile on Yahoo was support for PSREdit series of scanner software and ICOM's PSR series of computer supported receivers.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I also had a CompuServe account through my job back then.
I remember upgrading to a 2400bps modem and CompuServe charged a premium for daytime access at 2400 baud!

When the internet started becoming a real thing, CompuServe had a gateway onto the internet. It was that or some dial-up BBS's had internet gateways. That's what I had to do to get on the Internet or I could go to Washington University here for direct access.
Those were the days!

GB46

I think I used to access some usenet groups via a dial-up BBS board if my old memory is worth a hoot.
Using those dial-up bulletin boards was my first experience in networking, and I found them a lot of fun, esp. if the board was a local one and organized events where you could meet other users in person. The sysops would sometimes interfere by suddenly dropping by for a chat while I was typing, but then, they were letting me use their equipment, and they often had to pay for extra phone lines, too.

Believe it or not, my first BBS connections were with a 300-baud modem, which was built into the Tandy Model 100. It only ran programs written in BASIC. When I added an optional 8 kb of RAM I felt like I really had something.

Tandy 100.jpg

The BBSes would send out postings to other Usenet nodes late at night, when long distance charges were lower. You can still find some archived Usenet posts by searching on Google. I found some of mine from 1995 that way.

In 1994 my local public library offered dial-up internet access through communication software that was on their system. It was called the Freenet. I connected to it from home, and ran their software remotely, which caused huge time lags when typing.

GB46

I also had a CompuServe account through my job back then.
I remember upgrading to a 2400bps modem and CompuServe charged a premium for daytime access at 2400 baud!

When the internet started becoming a real thing, CompuServe had a gateway onto the internet. It was that or some dial-up BBS's had internet gateways. That's what I had to do to get on the Internet or I could go to Washington University here for direct access.
Those were the days!
That's how AOL started, too. You had to pay to use it back then, but now it's just another ad-supported website. I use it for email, since Gmail gave me nothing but runarounds when I tried to set up an account.

Xray

Anyone remember Usenet?

Usenet still well and alive and a great resource, and still the wild west of www in many ways. Some groups are so trashed with spam and bots that they are useless while others remain informative and useful, and of course it is a major source alot of the streaming that goes on, and other shady things best not talked about here.
I like it that it remains "off the grid", less attention it gets the better for those of us who use it. To get the best of it requires subscriptions to premium servers, and people are so cheap these days they won't consider much of anything unless its free.

Status
Not open for further replies.