York County - HARRIS RF COM - p25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Wow, WhatNext, where in Baltimore are you hearing this from? Baltimore City, or part of Baltimore County.

whatnext

Police freak.. Not Baltimore anymore.. I have to update the profile.. Now in York County PA.. Hearing Q' Street from lower SE corner all the way to Park City mall in Lancaster.. Hanover to Hellam.. It rocks !!

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
Seems that the Queen Street tower is off the air. Now copying the Crossroads tower (South system) very well from various points in the county, as well as extreme northern Baltimore County.

Also, rumor is that, due to major problems with the current paging systems (33.90 and 462.975), the new digital paging portion of the project has been bumped up in priority. This is despite growing unpopularity among county responders with the idea of doing away completely with voice paging.

Regardless, the new radios can come none too soon. It seems that 33.88 sounds crappier every day. It's just a matter of time before it takes another huge dump.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Montgomery County (PA) proposed at one time doing away with voice paging since we have our own county run alpha paging system. That didn't go over well with the vollie community (as you're seeing in York) and we still have voice paging today...actually we're in the slooow process of moving all the voice paging to VHF highband now. They're actually testing Locution automated voice dispatching here. I've been told it is a done deal, but nothing other than some testing has gone on in the past year.

If I recall correctly, Delaware County (PA) would also like to eliminate voice paging, although they only make limited use of their alpha paging capabilities right now. Even though Delco had been using 500MHz conventional for almost two decades now, they still use 46.48 for voice dispatch. It is only in the last year that voice dispatches have shown up simulcasting from one tower site on a UHF channel.

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
There is quite the stir on centralpafire.com about doing away with voice paging. Now they're even saying that they won't even voice dispatched on the TRS - all alphanumeric paging and only alphanumeric paging. Any comments and info that anyone else has regarding their experiences on this, please chime in!

About the system, now copying THREE systems; CENTRAL(sysid 0037h16), SOUTH(sysid 0037h02), and NORTH(0037h03). The NORTH system's control channel occasionally drops out to open carrier, but it's good to hear a third zone on the air.

excrx94

ocguard said:
There is quite the stir on centralpafire.com about doing away with voice paging. Now they're even saying that they won't even voice dispatched on the TRS - all alphanumeric paging and only alphanumeric paging. Any comments and info that anyone else has regarding their experiences on this, please chime in!

About the system, now copying THREE systems; CENTRAL(sysid 0037h16), SOUTH(sysid 0037h02), and NORTH(0037h03). The NORTH system's control channel occasionally drops out to open carrier, but it's good to hear a third zone on the air.

Ocguard - PM in your inbox

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
excrx94, reply sent.

I'm all about the future and VERY excited for what this radio system will do for York County. I'm not one of these ney-sayers afraid of change.

But I do believe that voicing EVERY dispatch in any fire/EMS setting is absolutely fundamental.

System Activity

Central simulcast now showing two control channels with two different sysids (0037h11 and 0037h16) and it sounds like they are coming from two different towers. Strange - I imagine it's just for testing purposes. I'll check with my contacts and see who knows what about what.

South system is still up - sounds like from Crossroads still.

excrx94

ocguard said:
excrx94, reply sent.

I'm all about the future and VERY excited for what this radio system will do for York County. I'm not one of these ney-sayers afraid of change.

But I do believe that voicing EVERY dispatch in any fire/EMS setting is absolutely fundamental.

System Activity

Central simulcast now showing two control channels with two different sysids (0037h11 and 0037h16) and it sounds like they are coming from two different towers. Strange - I imagine it's just for testing purposes. I'll check with my contacts and see who knows what about what.

South system is still up - sounds like from Crossroads still.

Things are moving along. This is a very exciting time as we get to see how things begin to mesh together. Progress is a Fantastic thing

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Sites

OCGuard,
It was actually Lower Chanceford you were hearing as the South System..

There is some coverage testing going on this week.. One site at a time will be up for short bursts..

Simulcast should be up in a couple of weeks On a random basis for testing.. Full time RF is a good question..

Pagers have been ordered.. Unication Alpha Gold..

scan-pa

RRDB Admin
Database Admin
dcr_inc said:
Pagers have been ordered.. Unication Alpha Gold..

Dave,

Will 4 Capcode slots be enough for York County members?

1. County All Call
2. Station

What is the most number of capcodes for a single station?

All PAgers would have the County All Call right?

Station FF crew Alert
Station Line Officer Alert
Individual Alert - for all White hats and above
Specialty alert, I.E. QRS, Tech Rescue, Forrestry, Fire-Police, HazMat, Tanker Task-force, Foam Task-force, Ladies AUX, rehab, Dept. FM, Co. FM ect.

Paid departments also normaly use a Off Duty recall capcode.

The Fire & EMS Stations would also have there own capcode for the house siren and other alerting devices.

4 capcode slots does not leave very much room, and 3 are left after just the All Call tone.

There are way better pagers with full 7 or 8 Capcode slots available. What made them go with Unication Alpha Gold pagers?

Thanks,

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
DCR_INC,
Nah. It was North Hopewell FOR SURE. I was sitting at the base of the tower with antenna unscrewed and pegged out my power meter. I Couldn't get Lower Chanceford from my house but picked it up as I got down the Red Lion way. That was the week before...

Scan-Pa,
Why the Unication (aka advisor elite)? Price. PERIOD. I am, however, puzzled. I had a funny thought in the back of my head that the county was avoiding voice paging so strongly because they were so against buying Motorola products (and therefore the Minitor V). But that theory has been proven wrong, since the Unication is just a MOTOROLA Advisor Elite with a different sticker.

Funny. In an email correspondence with the director of York County 911 a few years back when headway began on this new system, I was personally ASSURED by Mr. Bistline that York County would not be issuing consumer grade pagers, but instead, sturdy, ruggedized pagers designed for public safety professionals. HAH! I can by this pager at Wal-Mart. So much for promises.

And I agree. The amount of CAP codes won't satisfy many more active members.

If I'm still around, I'll buy my own.

A

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Pagers

Peter,

The unication alpha gold is the pager selected. It was selected because of input from several PUBLIC SAFETY organizations nationwide. They were asked about what pagers they use and the unication alpha gold was the most popular unit. They all commented about the BR802 being nice but not rugged enough for their use. Some even offered to send us boxes of broken ones (Br802) if we wanted them.

After consulting with the paging system engineers, the unication Alpha Gold was selected. The model we are getting has 8 capcodes, On-Off Duty Function and several other features that are in the current production model.

As for a "Consumer" grade pager, I'm not sure who makes a "Professional" grade unit. The alpha gold or advisor as it used to be called was "Professional" grade. I remember carrying one for over 7 years with NO problems what so ever. It held up just fine in Rain, Snow, Cold and even HOT weather while working in and out of utility manholes and in and around construction sites.

The capcode plan has been reviewed by the communications committee and has been approved. All necessary functions have been addressed and accounted for.

Back to Hibernation !!

falcon4o

I have a BC296d and was wondering when this system is fully on line how would i go about programing my unit? CC mode as UHF or will i have to install all of the frqs?

Thanks for any help in advance. :)

PCPA

Paulsan said:
Sorry. I believe there is a York County, VA. I thought maybe you got lost. 8^D

There are also York Counties in Maine, Nebraska, and South Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.