Zenith Transoceanic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgescan

I just re-aligned all the bands, cleaned the controls and bandswitch contacts, cleaned the exterior on my '64 Royal 3000-1. I shot a video of her going through the bands. Man this thing still runs so good-I love it. It pulls in so much SW off that whip. All original components in there too. At the end FM didn't kick in at first-I guess some contact cleaner was still wet in there lol Hope you enjoy it:)

Zenith Royal 3000-1 Shortwave Radio - YouTube

ridgescan

Thanks Bill:) I've had this one most of my life-American quality was really amazing back then. Built to last a lifetime. I'm so fortunate to have one.

majoco

Stirrer
I got one too. Works well. Just don't run it on a 12volt wall-wart - the radio takes so little current that the wall-wart will be supplying well over 15volts - the big capacitor across the supply is only rated at 12volts (unless it's been 'refurbished') and may well go pop! I run mine on a 9volt wart and it goes good - and it's POSITIVE ground!

PS it's not quite as good as my Nordmende Globetrotter or the Sony CRF-5090. Uh-oh, here come the men in white coats to take me away.....:)

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Brings back memories, thanks for sharing.

ridgescan

I got one too. Works well. Just don't run it on a 12volt wall-wart - the radio takes so little current that the wall-wart will be supplying well over 15volts - the big capacitor across the supply is only rated at 12volts (unless it's been 'refurbished') and may well go pop! I run mine on a 9volt wart and it goes good - and it's POSITIVE ground!

PS it's not quite as good as my Nordmende Globetrotter or the Sony CRF-5090. Uh-oh, here come the men in white coats to take me away.....:)
naw those white coats are coming here first:D I run it on my trusty oldVecor #634 variable power supply. What year is yours Martin-is it the 3000-1?

Brings back memories, thanks for sharing.
Thanks Eman:)

ridgescan

Very nice.....love them ole receivers!

Jim
me too Jim:) definately stuck in a time warp here. This one here was a hand-me-down from my uncle Joe I got when I was about 12. When we went to visit I always hightailed it to his den where this thing sat and I would have to be de welded from the tuner dial:D Ah the memories that live in these old gems.

majoco

Stirrer
What year is yours Martin-is it the 3000-1?
Yes, it's a 3000-1 and it's birthday is 12th August 1961, came complete with service manual, few spots where the chrome is lifting, otherwise perfect. I replaced the electrolytics and changed a couple of resistors in the audio amp to a later schematic - that's all and goes good. Here it is with it's clone Sony CRF5090.
spottheclonesml.jpg

I'm still looking for one of these under US$1000!
t1000.jpg

Braun T1000CD

Last edited:

ridgescan

I see the chassis build stamp which is green ink and says "R 3000-1" My date stamp is so badly faded that all I can make out is month 3, no day, and 64. Do you know of any other location in the radio that might have it too?

majoco

Stirrer
Oops - I made a mistake too....after I posted I has a rethink - the 3000-1 didn't come out until 1964 so I opened it up and had a proper look with a torch - 1967! The "7" is badly smudged and could easily be a "4" too but after scrutinising with a mag glass it's definitely a "7".

Have you got the battery box? They're as rare as rocking horse poo, as they get thrown away when the batteries have leaked all over them.

ridgescan

I have the battery box away in the radio closet-using the power leads from it to run the radio-regular power lead is missing (cousin Jay had his way back in the day with this radio-tweaked it all out of wack)

gewecke

Banned
I have a zenith transoceanic too, but it's in terrible shape. It was a garage sale buy when I thought I might want to restore it, but I honestly have little interest in sw listening like I did in my younger years. it does have the d cell battery pack with it too. What are these things worth?

n9zas

gewecke

Banned
I have a zenith transoceanic too, but it's in terrible shape. It was a garage sale buy when I thought I might want to restore it, but I honestly have little interest in sw listening like I did in my younger years. it does have the d cell battery pack with it too. What are these things worth?

Thanks for any replies,
n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.