Zone, Site, System Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

krybka

Premium Subscriber
Hi,
I posted here since the systems in question are in NJ. If there is a better forum for the question please advise.
I have a BCD396T and a BC246T. I use BuTel for both. I have NJSP on the 246 - I used "State of New Jersey Troop B North" in the database for setting it up. In the database the NJSP are shown as 3 "Trunked Radio Systems". Each system has 1 "Site". In the 246 I have 1 system that is programmed from "State of New Jersey Troop B North" using those trunked frequencies. What little I know about programming trunked systems came from getting that into the 246.
Now I am trying to program Morris County into the 396. In the database Morris County is shown as 1 system with 4 sites that appear to be related to 4 zones. I scanned both the 396 manual and the ARC396 manual and couldn't find references to "Sites" and "Zones". When I imported Morris County into ARC396 it set-up 4 systems even though the database shows Morris County as 1 system.
What are "sites" and "zones" compared to "systems" and how should they be programmed?
Thanks,
Ken

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Basically in one system (Morris County or Burlington Co, NJ in my case) there may be several sites or zones. Each site is set up in a different part of the county. Program into your radio the one that is closest to you and/or the one that your town is in. Also if you pass through different zones on your way to work or whatever, maybe program those zones into your radio.

W2SJW

Database Admin
OK, here's a plain-english description that I hope won't confuse you.

The NJSP Troop B system is considered a 'single-site' system, for all intent & purpose. The system has multiple transmitter sites, but they all broadcast the same control-channel data & voice transmissions simultaneously. All you need are the 4 control-channel frequencies listed in the database (and set your radio to CC-only mode), and you will hear the same thing from Phillipsburg to Newark, and from Somerville to Sussex.

Morris County is a bit more complex. The county is divided into 4 zones of the system. They all identify with the same SysID, but they don't carry the same data all the time. If you put all the control channels into a single 'system' on the 396, you run the risk of the scanner locking on to a control channel in either zone 3 or 4. If there is no user active in those parts of the county, you will never hear anything (a user must afilliate to that zone during his/her travels before the system will carry audio from the talkgroup they are on, on that zone's frequencies.

Your best bet is to create 2 seperate systems in the 396 - one for zone 1 & one for zone 2. The 2 simulcast zones carry the lion's share of radio traffic on the system.

This is one of the times that the PSR-500 has the 396 beat - You would create 2 TSYS entries (one for each zone), but only enter the talkgroups once. Then you assign the talkgroups to the 2 seperate scan lists simultaeneously. The 396 will require you to enter all the talkgroups you wish to listen to twice...

Last edited:

krybka

Premium Subscriber
OK - it's starting to make sense. In Morris County I am usually in Zone 1, sometimes though I use the scanner closer to Zone 4. Will I be able to hear the same traffic (all Muni PD traffic) that I heard in Zone 1 if I only scan Zone 4.

Thanks,

Ken

W2SJW

Database Admin
Ken,

You will not hear anything on zone 4 unless someone is actually in that section of the county & the system recognizes them being there.

Chatham is the far-east end of the county. If a unit from any of the towns that use the TRS would, let's say, be running a detail that takes them into Chatham, then would be the only time you would hear the talkgroups on zone #4.

Check this out: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking_Basics

Go down to the 'Networked Sites - Affiliation' section. Lou Maag couldn't have said it any better! :lol:

krybka

Premium Subscriber
OK - I got that (barely)
How do you determine which "default" zone a PD is in? For example, Harding; I pick them up on Zone 1 but the Chatham Tower - Zone 4 (which I believe is actually in Long Hill Twp.) is much closer for a good portion of the township.

Last edited:

W2SJW

Database Admin
Most of the municipal-level stuff will always be on zone 1 or 2. The other two zones would only really carry county-level users like the senior buses, county DPW, sheriff, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.