SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 issues

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Would you please recommend a good UHF antenna? Previously, I have tried xpert power and nagoya.

Start with the stock antenna. Might be better than you thought, since you're attempting to monitor systems not in your range.

kbk777

Premium Subscriber
No, the stock doesn’t make any difference. In fact, this antenna i have right now is a better performer than even the famous Remtronix. I will keep looking at other options. I appreciate all the feedback!

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
No, the stock doesn’t make any difference. In fact, this antenna i have right now is a better performer than even the famous Remtronix. I will keep looking at other options. I appreciate all the feedback!

That's hard to determine if you're attempting to monitor systems that you're not in range of. No matter how many "other options" you find, you're not going to be able to monitor a majority of the systems you listed unless you're right on top of them.

The only one I can see is the Horizon Theraputics site, and not being familiar with the usage, it would "appear: it's only 3 talkgroups, and don't suspect you'll be able to determine if it's a data entry issue, or a programming issue until you set up a Favorite List, run a LCN Finder analyze session(s), and even double check if it's the correct Color Codes. The only way this could happen is if the scanner receives activity. Many of us have corrected errors in the database which can happen.

This is why I suggest going back to the stock antenna, make sure you're in range of Horizon, which despite it being close to your location, might not have the signal strength to reach you. It's all your choice on how you want to handle it, but currently it's not working.

kbk777

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I just wanted to post an update. I purchased a Whistler TRX-1 to see if DMR (and NXDN) would work better than on the SDS100. Programming that scanner is very painful, but I was able to correctly add the systems that I wanted to monitor. The TRX-1 failed to hear any DMR and NXDN traffic. At this point, I'm out of ideas. Maybe there is severe interference on UHF High in my area which is causing these scanners to go deaf. In addition to that, I am unable to hear the Chicago Fire Department which operates P25 on UHF High (477-478 MHz).
I will keep scouring the web and figuring out my next troubleshooting approach.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I just wanted to post an update. I purchased a Whistler TRX-1 to see if DMR (and NXDN) would work better than on the SDS100. Programming that scanner is very painful, but I was able to correctly add the systems that I wanted to monitor. The TRX-1 failed to hear any DMR and NXDN traffic. At this point, I'm out of ideas. Maybe there is severe interference on UHF High in my area which is causing these scanners to go deaf. In addition to that, I am unable to hear the Chicago Fire Department which operates P25 on UHF High (477-478 MHz).
I will keep scouring the web and figuring out my next troubleshooting approach.
As I mentioned previously, the systems you're trying to monitor with the location you provided, you're on the fringe area. You're trying to monitor CFD UHF-T with an antenna that's cut for 700-900 Mhz. The TRX scanners don't "trunk track" Cap+/NXDN Trunking systems, so that's not going to work either. The hospital you're trying to monitor is also a Cap+ UHF system, so that's also going to be a problem with the TRX. I live by Midway Airport, very familiar with your area and a majority of what you're trying to monitor. I suspect Starcom Lake county site, and ISP will work well. Also, some of the Lake County Fire is on VHF, so that also won't work.