220 MHz Public Safety Interop use

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
Well I do have a Motorola XPR7550E which is definitely part 90, with fpp but it is just 403-517mhz

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I have never heard anything in my area on any 220 freqs. NYS Pd have some of those freqs above actively licensed as do some various PS agencies as per the database.

Why? Do scanners not cover those freqs?
If I'm recalling, that was supposed to be plans for a statewide data network on 220. I don't know for some reason thats what I'm recalling. I think it was around the same time they were beginning to dick around with Opensky. I think it now resides in their FCC files where renewals are blindly shot off as the recently renewed lowband license at a local station with no lowband antenna

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If I'm recalling, that was supposed to be plans for a statewide data network on 220. I don't know for some reason thats what I'm recalling. I think it was around the same time they were beginning to dick around with Opensky.
I seem to remember something about that statewide network from 12 years ago.

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber

btt

Banned
Banned
I just looked at these as a solution for a PtP link needed for a remote site. The bandwidth was a little low for what we need.
The bandwidth is actually very high for "narrow band" communications. This product (that I designed) allows for the maximum allowed bandwidth allowed by the FCC. In almost all cases, the bandwidth is limited to 12.5kHz. With the 220 MHz band, it is limited up to 50 kHz bandwidth just like the datasheet for that product shows. Show me a product with higher bandwidth that passes part 90 rules? I will show you a product that didn't pass part 90 rules. Why is everybody trying to erase everything I ever did lately? Did I kick you dog or something? I love dogs btw.

kf8yk

I've never heard anyone use the 220 MHz mutual aid channels.

Narrow FM, DMR, P25 or NXDN would not be allowed since 90.733(d) limits occupied bandwidth on all the 220 MHz mutual aid channels to 5 kHz or less. The assumption when these channels were designated was the use of ACSSB.

Last edited:

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
The bandwidth is actually very high for "narrow band" communications. This product (that I designed) allows for the maximum allowed bandwidth allowed by the FCC. In almost all cases, the bandwidth is limited to 12.5kHz. With the 220 MHz band, it is limited up to 50 kHz bandwidth just like the datasheet for that product shows. Show me a product with higher bandwidth that passes part 90 rules? I will show you a product that didn't pass part 90 rules. Why is everybody trying to erase everything I ever did lately? Did I kick you dog or something? I love dogs btw.

It's a cool product. I was trying to overcome a NLOS deployment and with the dissipation of some lower priced 900MHz units, I looked at these. The overall bandwidth and latency was my concern. I could MAYBE make it work on a 50Khz channel, but it would be right on the edge. This would have been too good to be true as a 220MHz link would easily have worked for us.

Are there any improvements that can be made such as a different modulation type? or is the major limitation the narrow bandwidth?

btt

Banned
Banned
Are there any improvements that can be made such as a different modulation type? or is the major limitation the narrow bandwidth?
In my "previous life", I did take a job where I was responsible for "finishing" the previous guys "big idea for a QAM-64, 12.5 kHz receiver". That "big idea" took him out and I was able to get that done and eventually passed by Part 90. Yes, I am the first guy to get a high-power QAM-64 modulation in a 12.5 KHz channel to be "a thing". They fought me on it, but I was hired to get that done. I think one other company passed something similar at the nearly the same time as far as when it was "expected", but I beat them by at least 12 months in terms of submission. I believe the whole reason for the delay was to "wait for their buddies". Ask me for the FCC / ICC identifiers if you think I'm not telling the truth. The grants will all show my name. (until they change it).

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
How about in an emergency? Isn’t it anything goes then????
LOL for an Ham or GMRS, or other civilian maybe. Only if the end is nigh will you see Public Safety agencies go grab an Baofeng, Anytone, or an TYT MD380 etc... There are just too many other layers in place for this to happen unless its a truly SHTF end of the world event. Hardened to an point LMR, sometimes collocated or even linked to LTE, IP based purely data systems, then the civilian Cellular/LTE nets, not to mention the still in use Satellite Radio and Telephone systems... Not disparaging, but just stating the facts. Especially after a few Public Safety agencies caught heat for using Ham radio a few years back. Not to mention all the layers of bureaucracy that would never play nice enough to let that happen. Not to mention, how many patrol officers, or firefighters can grab just any radio, and on the fly get it where it needs to be to talk by FPP? If it can't be as easy as turn a knob a few clicks, or press an up/down button and then PTT.. Its going in a garbage can.

Last edited by a moderator:

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I've seen weird packet bursts on the former HAME 1.25m range before when using my SDR down by the railroad tracks. Never managed to figure out what it was.

It almost looked similar to the bursts I see sometimes on 900 MHz from the FHSS power meters.

Oh also one time I was searching the FCC ULS and saw a prison licensed for SSB emission mode code around that frequency range as well a couple hundred miles from me though no idea if they actually use that or if there's any commercial radios available that actually can. Only had the SSB emission designation too, no FM or DMR.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've seen weird packet bursts on the former HAME 1.25m range before when using my SDR down by the railroad tracks. Never managed to figure out what it was.

It almost looked similar to the bursts I see sometimes on 900 MHz from the FHSS power meters.

Oh also one time I was searching the FCC ULS and saw a prison licensed for SSB emission mode code around that frequency range as well a couple hundred miles from me though no idea if they actually use that or if there's any commercial radios available that actually can. Only had the SSB emission designation too, no FM or DMR.

It was likely amplitude companded sideband. There were some large trunking systems that used that back many years ago. Sort of died off. Used to be able to pick up the mobile radios pretty cheap on E-bay.