396XT Shuffled TGIDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF4JZY

Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
23
Location
Wake Forest, N.C.
I have a 396XT that is acting up so much I'm starting to think it's defective and is becoming quite frustrating . Any advice would be appreciated before I send it off to Uniden for service.

Here's the problem:
I live in Wake County, NC monitoring the VIPER system (Voice Interoperability Plan for Emergency Responders (VIPER) Trunking System, Various, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies). I programmed my radio using the latest version of Freescan, and I am confident that my configuration is correct (I can send it for confirmation if needed). What is happening is that the scanner is stopping on channels where the traffic and TGID does not match what I programmed into the radio. For example, I programmed the radio for Wake Med with a TGID of 34592 but will hear Raleigh police with a TGID of 40112 (among others) on that channel. This is just an example; I will also hear Highway Patrol where I have RPD TGIDs programmed, Wake Med on RPD TGIDs, Rex on HP channels, Wake Med on Sheriff dispatch, etc.

I understand that multi-select is being used with RPD dispatch and different TGIDs will show up on those channels. This is not what I am experiencing. I also understand that sometimes channels are linked when needed and can demonstrate this behavior. This is not what I am experiencing. I can also understand that sometimes anomalies can happen for this to occur. Again, I do not believe this to be the problem because it happens all the time I listen to the scanner. If this was considered "normal" I would have found a lot more data in researching the problem, so I do not think it is normal to the extent I am experiencing the issue.

Some things I have done:
Move the radio around in case of distortion, try different times of the day, etc.
made sure ID Scan is enabled, not ID search
turned off/on Unit IDs
Messed with audio types on the channels
reprogrammed the radio from scratch using Freescan
reflashed the radio back to 1.07; reprogrammed
reflashed the radio back to the most current firmware; reprogrammed
disabled "control channel only" in Freescan and placed all the trunk freqs in the sites
lowered the baud rate on the radio and com port to 9600 in case data was getting scrambled during transfer
monitored a single channel (instead of scanning) and experienced the same issue
reset the scanner and reprogrammed
programmed some systems in by hand
monitored scanning/TGIDs using Freescan to what was going on. I clearly see the scanner stopping where I have programmed a TGID 34593 with an alpha tag of "Wake Med" showing that TGI 40112 is what is being decoded and hearing police traffic on a hospital channel that should not be linked for any reason.
etc., etc.
Tried a sample Freescan config
I have also researched these forums and others.

I was not able to resolve the issue with any of these steps.
I found some in the past who had these same issues with a different scanner and tried putting all the trunk freqs instead of just the CCs. As noted above, I tried that with no avail.
I also read some that said this type of problem was normal for Uniden scanners. I question if it is normal to the degree I am experiencing the problem otherwise I think I would have found much more data on the problem.

Thanks for your time in reading this post. I would greatly appreciate any assistance with this. I would also like to know if you experienced this problem and sent it off to Uniden for repair and the outcome. BTW, I've had this scanner for over a year and had this problem before. I thought I resolved it before, but it was not.
 

KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
Joined
Jan 21, 2002
Messages
7,106
Location
Raleigh, NC
Heck, me being the "VIPER Guru" I would have thought
that you would at least email or PM me or posted in the
NC Forum. :)
Catch up with me and I am sure we can take a look at
what we can do to resolve whatever issues you might be
having.
My email address is in my forum profile.
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR
 

KF4JZY

Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
23
Location
Wake Forest, N.C.
@cpuerror: Yes, moto status bit is turned off for all systems. Thanks.

@KE4ZNR: At this point I do not see this being a system issue; however, I could be wrong. My reasoning for this is because I do not see a slew of others with the same problems in the NC forum which I would expect if it were a system-wide issue.

Here are the links to my current Freescan config file and an Excel spreadsheet with about 1.5 hours of logging that shows what I am experiencing.

Config - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3825268/Fresh Config_all audio auto.996
Excel Data - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3825268/Review_396xt.xls

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top