436 Clock Re-Set Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulca

Engineer to Engineer, the designers of this issue have no common sense.

Voyager

As much can be said for users who don't follow instructions and expect normal operation.

stingray327

I agree. I have the 536 and keep it constantly plugged in. Unfortunately the poor design doesn't trickle charge the battery while plugged in and turned off.

You always have to leave the radio on to keep the battery charged just to keep the clock set. Now people are having problems with the display fading. My guess is that they leave their radios on to charge the clock battery and it is shortening the life of their displays.

Really dumb design. This needs a tweak with a future firmware update.

Probably a good idea to shut off display light when scanner is doing the 50+ hours so screen isn't used up.

dmaria

I have been silently reading most of the postings in this forum, but now I am suffering from the "clock problem" also. I have a 436 and it makes no difference if it is on (or how long), off, plugged into power or running off of the batteries. The clock has to be reset every time I turn it on. I think this is a design flaw.

Voyager

Have you tried to charge it for a few hours, then try the power cycle to see if it still happens? It's not a design flaw if it works for most.

dmaria

Have you tried to charge it for a few hours, then try the power cycle to see if it still happens? It's not a design flaw if it works for most.

I bought it about a year ago. At first it would last for about two weeks, then one week, then one day and now the clock system won't stay charged at all. You are correct in that it may not be a design flaw, but I suspect there may be more failures as time goes on. I don't use my PSR-800 too much anymore, but when I turn it on, the clock is still ticking away.....

Voyager

I bought it about a year ago. At first it would last for about two weeks, then one week, then one day and now the clock system won't stay charged at all. You are correct in that it may not be a design flaw, but I suspect there may be more failures as time goes on. I don't use my PSR-800 too much anymore, but when I turn it on, the clock is still ticking away.....

How often do you use your scanner? If you know it would last two weeks, does that mean you didn't use your scanner for two weeks then turned it on and the clock was still OK?

If you don't use your scanner much, it may be draining a little each time and not getting a good recharge.

As for the 800, that isn't good. If it uses a battery then one day it will just stop working period.

dmaria

How often do you use your scanner? If you know it would last two weeks, does that mean you didn't use your scanner for two weeks then turned it on and the clock was still OK?

If you don't use your scanner much, it may be draining a little each time and not getting a good recharge.

As for the 800, that isn't good. If it uses a battery then one day it will just stop working period.

I left the 436 on last night until the batteries died. I then put in a fresh set, turned it on, and promptly had too reset the clock. I DO read the manuals and I DO read these forums and this is NOT my first rodeo. Having said that, the intent was to let others know that the problem is real and not some imaginary problem.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It sounds like the backup battery has gone bad. Send it in to Uniden for repair.

Voyager

OK. Sorry, I thought you may have been looking for a cause to prevent the issue and not just telling others that it exists. Lots of things exist. Most can be prevented. If you exclude the possibility of user error, you increase the chances of issues to near 100%.

njscanmaster

Premium Subscriber
bcd536hp Clock Re-Set Issue

Hi. When my bcd536hp sits for a while (like overnight) I have to re-set the clock in order to operate the unit.

I put a lot of money to buy a scanner over $500 that is a lot of money

What can I do now To use the scanner I have to re-set the clock every time to use the scanner

Or do I fix it send it back to Bearcat for a new one I'm not very happy

Voyager

Have you let it run to charge the battery? It should not go dead overnight unless it:

1) Was not charged up in the first place, or

2) Is defective

njscanmaster

Premium Subscriber
BCD 536hp

It was ok it was charge Now it not charge the battery I turn off the scanner at night When in the morning I turn on the scanner I have to do its re-set the clock to use the scanner a lot of money just to re-set the clock Maybe I send back :( Not happy

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
Hey gang, what about the HP-2, does it have same RTC? I have an HP-1 and never even heard about this problem and was looking to buy a BCD536 for phase 2. I am now leaning to the HP-2 and not have to worry about that stupid RTC?
Any suggestions?

mondaro

Feed Provider
Having the same problem here with my 436 clock, also compare to the cheaper 125 portable scanner the 436 is deaf I did a side by side comparison with both radios, too bad the 436 does not have the same receive as the 125.

Voyager

Many people are having the opposite experience with the 436 sensitivity. Maybe the front end went out in yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.