• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

911 Dispatch Console Problems

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Sorry to hear this is still not working.

We are about done with the dealer, this has been going on for a couple years. Don't get me wrong he is a nice guy but this was his first DMR system he has ever done which is #1 red flag. We call him to come fix stuff and its over a week or longer before we get any response from him. He blames the weather, led lights, all kinds of things. i have never once seen any kind of rf test equipment or service monitor checking things. Very poorly installed system. Over 50 feet of rg58 ran to lmr 400 on our tower which is another issue in itself. No grounding from what i can tell. Radios are velcroed onto the tone remote adapters.

Reading back through this thread, there are so many red flags, flashing warning signs, sirens going off. For you, it has all probably happened in slow motion, and it gets difficult to see until it is too late. For us, reading this all out on one screen, it is easy to see in its compressed form. Don't feel bad you missed it until it was too late, it's hard to see when it is happening to you.

I've run into this a few times over my career. It often materializes just like this: Someone decides that they are skilled enough to make a business out of this. After all, how hard could it be? Who knew two way radio systems were so complex? With a false sense of confidence they'll charge head first into a challenge. They'll talk a good talk, sell you fancy equipment and assure you they are experts in the field. I'm going to go out on a limb here: Young male, mid 20s, early 30's? One man shop, maybe some part time "technicians", usually a couple of friends? Fancy printed t-shirts to look professional. Talk loud about how smart they are? Probably walked around the PSAP pointing out things that the other guys did wrong? Probably had a hand held radio on their belt programmed on your radio system (without permission), radio cranked up to 11 so everyone can hear how important they are? No GROL, no formal training, but probably proud of their ham license?

They install the equipment, make a big deal of it, proud of their work. And then it doesn't work, or doesn't work right. Might not find out for a few days/weeks, might find out before they leave, either way, they are gone.

Then the excuses start. A simple issue like this blows up, and the tech will come up with all kinds of reasons why it cannot possibly be their fault. They'll blame the radio system, other techs, the equipment, the weather, the end users, anything within reach, anything but themselves. They may or may not make an attempt to fix it, but usually they try to hide from the issue. They'll delay responding, cancel appointments, will always have a higher priority issue. They may try to find an easy/cheap solution, because anything that cuts into their profits might bruise their ego, after all, they were going to make a career out of being radio experts. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they are cruising hobby sites like this one looking for free advice, free tech support and a free solution, or at minimum, a plausible sounding excuse they can use to deflect the blame. The last thing they would ever do is pay money to fix the mess they, themselves, created. The money they were paid to do a professional job has long since been spent, and fixing this would come out of their pocket. They are usually a small company, maybe only a few employees, maybe just one. There's no margin for error, no cash reserves, no insurance, no money to fix mistakes. In the end, the customer suffers, public safety suffers, the taxpayers suffer.

If they suddenly realize the mess they've created, they'll often start in on the threats, hints of a lawsuit, etc. Their ego is threatened, and they can't have that. No one can ever find out they are not the communications experts they claim to be. The lashing out begins. They are not finding free and easy solutions to the problem on the internet. The solutions they do find cost money. They'll probably try and bill you before fixing it, because they don't have the money up front to buy the parts and wait for the invoice to clear. May have even blown their credit with the suppliers. Do not, under any circumstances, give them more money, you will never see it again.

When I first got out of the service I worked for a small company that did this sort of stuff. As soon as I realized what was going on, I got out. It never ends well, and sometimes they'll try and take others down with them. It's best to walk away and preserve your sanity, take the loss and find a better solution. You'll never be able to fix whats wrong with these sorts of shops. They all eventually implode. It will -always- be someone else's fault.

Like I said, I've dealt with this a few times, and I'm getting pretty good at seeing it before it happens. It's plain as day after the fact, even though they'll put a huge amount of effort into hiding it. I've had to clean up a lot of messes made by individuals like this. Every. Single. Time. it has cost more to fix the mess than it would have cost to do it right the first time.

Wash your hands of this shop, don't try and get them to fix this mess. They can't, it's beyond their skill level. They are telling you that in very clear terms, but they are trying to hide behind excuses to protect their ego. You'll never get an apology, and you'll never get them to fix this mess. Putting the public at risk to protect one persons ego is not worth it. Someone will get hurt, the city/county will get sued, and life goes on. Hopefully no one dies in the process. What ever you do, don't let them back in the door, they will only make things worse.

Good riddance. Time to call a competent radio shop to fix this mess. I'd bet money they will have seen this guys work before. Be aware that it's going to cost a lot of taxpayer money, as they'll have to clean up the mess this guy made, bring it all up to code, install the correct equipment to make it do what you want, and probably a few other issues you have not noticed yet. I'd also bet there are more issues hiding that you have not found yet. These guys rarely do anything to code and will do the absolute minimum amount of work required.

Add these incidents to your history and move on knowing you are better off. It's these sorts of things that give you experience and will allow you to recognize it in the future.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to hear this is still not working.

Reading back through this thread, there are so many red flags, flashing warning signs, sirens going off. For you, it has all probably happened in slow motion, and it gets difficult to see until it is too late. For us, reading this all out on one screen, it is easy to see in its compressed form. Don't feel bad you missed it until it was too late, it's hard to see when it is happening to you.

I've run into this a few times over my career. It often materializes just like this: Someone decides that they are skilled enough to make a business out of this. After all, how hard could it be? Who knew two way radio systems were so complex? With a false sense of confidence they'll charge head first into a challenge. They'll talk a good talk, sell you fancy equipment and assure you they are experts in the field. I'm going to go out on a limb here: Young male, mid 20s, early 30's? One man shop, maybe some part time "technicians", usually a couple of friends? Fancy printed t-shirts to look professional. Talk loud about how smart they are? Probably walked around the PSAP pointing out things that the other guys did wrong? Probably had a hand held radio on their belt programmed on your radio system (without permission), radio cranked up to 11 so everyone can hear how important they are? No GROL, no formal training, but probably proud of their ham license?

They install the equipment, make a big deal of it, proud of their work. And then it doesn't work, or doesn't work right. Might not find out for a few days/weeks, might find out before they leave, either way, they are gone.

Then the excuses start. A simple issue like this blows up, and the tech will come up with all kinds of reasons why it cannot possibly be their fault. They'll blame the radio system, other techs, the equipment, the weather, the end users, anything within reach, anything but themselves. They may or may not make an attempt to fix it, but usually they try to hide from the issue. They'll delay responding, cancel appointments, will always have a higher priority issue. They may try to find an easy/cheap solution, because anything that cuts into their profits might bruise their ego, after all, they were going to make a career out of being radio experts. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they are cruising hobby sites like this one looking for free advice, free tech support and a free solution, or at minimum, a plausible sounding excuse they can use to deflect the blame. The last thing they would ever do is pay money to fix the mess they, themselves, created. The money they were paid to do a professional job has long since been spent, and fixing this would come out of their pocket. They are usually a small company, maybe only a few employees, maybe just one. There's no margin for error, no cash reserves, no insurance, no money to fix mistakes. In the end, the customer suffers, public safety suffers, the taxpayers suffer.

If they suddenly realize the mess they've created, they'll often start in on the threats, hints of a lawsuit, etc. Their ego is threatened, and they can't have that. No one can ever find out they are not the communications experts they claim to be. The lashing out begins. They are not finding free and easy solutions to the problem on the internet. The solutions they do find cost money. They'll probably try and bill you before fixing it, because they don't have the money up front to buy the parts and wait for the invoice to clear. May have even blown their credit with the suppliers. Do not, under any circumstances, give them more money, you will never see it again.

When I first got out of the service I worked for a small company that did this sort of stuff. As soon as I realized what was going on, I got out. It never ends well, and sometimes they'll try and take others down with them. It's best to walk away and preserve your sanity, take the loss and find a better solution. You'll never be able to fix whats wrong with these sorts of shops. They all eventually implode. It will -always- be someone else's fault.

Like I said, I've dealt with this a few times, and I'm getting pretty good at seeing it before it happens. It's plain as day after the fact, even though they'll put a huge amount of effort into hiding it. I've had to clean up a lot of messes made by individuals like this. Every. Single. Time. it has cost more to fix the mess than it would have cost to do it right the first time.

Wash your hands of this shop, don't try and get them to fix this mess. They can't, it's beyond their skill level. They are telling you that in very clear terms, but they are trying to hide behind excuses to protect their ego. You'll never get an apology, and you'll never get them to fix this mess. Putting the public at risk to protect one persons ego is not worth it. Someone will get hurt, the city/county will get sued, and life goes on. Hopefully no one dies in the process. What ever you do, don't let them back in the door, they will only make things worse.

Good riddance. Time to call a competent radio shop to fix this mess. I'd bet money they will have seen this guys work before. Be aware that it's going to cost a lot of taxpayer money, as they'll have to clean up the mess this guy made, bring it all up to code, install the correct equipment to make it do what you want, and probably a few other issues you have not noticed yet. I'd also bet there are more issues hiding that you have not found yet. These guys rarely do anything to code and will do the absolute minimum amount of work required.

Add these incidents to your history and move on knowing you are better off. It's these sorts of things that give you experience and will allow you to recognize it in the future.
What are your thoughts on a thorough acceptance test of a system?
ie... what should it include, who should do it and sign off on it... etc...

Thanks
Joel

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What are your thoughts on a thorough acceptance test of a system?
ie... what should it include, who should do it and sign off on it... etc...

Thanks
Joel

Thankfully our counsel knows how to write pretty solid contracts. There would be no room for these kind of shenanigans. Vendors would need to provide insurance, licenses (in most states, a low voltage contractors license is required), performance bonds, and a lot of documentation. There would be zero payments before work began, unless that was agreed upon before starting.

All work would be watched and inspected. Anything that didn't meet code would be rejected (like lack of grounding). Wrong cable, wrong connectors, incorrect installation, that would all get caught ahead of time. Everything would be tested before going live. If it didn't pass inspection, or gave us any issues, the vendor would be given the opportunity to fix it.

The vendor could submit invoices all they want, but our accounts payable group would not pay without talking to the right people. I have to do that often, I get a message from AP asking for my approval to pay the vendor. If the installation does not meet code, design, function or any other requirement, dude doesn't get paid until it does.

It's really a shame that this is the way things happen. As usual, it only takes on bad apple to spoil everything, and usually cost taxpayers a lt of money.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Coming to this topic a bit late, I used to work for a small local radio shop but not the kind that was described so comically earlier on. We were much better than that, but still a small shop. We WERE very good at actually finding and correcting the problems because all of use who were handling the technician tasks are electronics troubleshooters/repairmen FIRST and foremost. Logical troubleshooting was our strong suit.

My approach to troubleshooting the OP's described problem begins, and possibly ends, with reviewing the documentation of the consoles and equipment, paying particular attention to all cabling and interconnection specifications. I triggered on the description of an "ethernet cable" being used, as there's no presented evidence that the cable used conforms to the console/system specs/requirements. I'd go back to the documentation and make absolutely 100 percent sure that all cabling and connections are fully to the documented specs. Start there.

If the cabling isn't right, nothing else ever will be.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I guess I'm used to a different process for a much larger organization....
The kind of thing I was thinking of was

an engineer (a real one) makes a plan, maybe even the manufacturer.

the installation person looks over the plan to verify that it makes sense (enough materials, right size of things, space to put the things etc...)

an instillation team puts everything together according to the plan, any needed changes go back to the engineer for approval.

when everything is ready to go, the customer has everyone and their mother check to see if its correct (in a very general sense).

The system is checked completely, every button is pushed every audio is listened to and monitored etc... possibly for days at a time. Then it's accepted.

I have to assume everything depends on the size and competence (in a literal, not accusatory way) of the customer....

Maybe in the future, references from past jobs would be a good way to check the quality of the work done by a radio shop, and how they deal with issues. Hopefully, at the same level of difficulty.

Thanks
Joel

Back in my racing days Newman Haas found a local guy to come to their shop to 'help' with their radios. After a few races they came back to me after having problems. The 'tech' ran new a new coax run using RG-59. Hey, it's 1 better than RG-58, right?

An engineer buddy got called in to help with a tunnel DAS a big east coast city, 75Ω coax with 50Ω antennas. Tessco sold them a bunch of Fieldfoxes (sp?) to find bad baluns, but that wasn't going to help. No one could say why 75Ω was run in the first place but they did not want to replace it, someone would have had to take the blame.

A senior Bearcom tech told me he was asked to look at the radio system used at burning man after a series of failures. Their radio expert had a list of excuses as to why they continued to have problems each year. Ken found a number of issues that should have been obvious but the non tech types only knew what they heard from their guy.

Bearcom got the contract and as far as I know still does.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hey, it's 1 better than RG-58, right?

Exactly. Must be better.

An engineer buddy got called in to help with a tunnel DAS a big east coast city, 75Ω coax with 50Ω antennas. Tessco sold them a bunch of Fieldfoxes (sp?) to find bad baluns, but that wasn't going to help. No one could say why 75Ω was run in the first place but they did not want to replace it, someone would have had to take the blame.

I want to think this was Tessco. "Back in the day" Nextel showed up to install a number of BDA's at some of our sites. Well, not really Nextel, but their "contractors". They ran 75Ω plenum rated 1/2" Heliax through one of our buildings, probably about 1000 feet.

I looked at it, and said "Hey, you know this is 75Ω, right?". SuperTech dude said, "what? Oh, that's fine, doesn't matter, don't worry about it…" Hey, not my job, not my project, all paid for by Nextel. I said "OK" and left.

Next week they were back with a 1000 foot roll of plenum rated 50Ω LDF4-50A and repulled all the cable. SuperTech dude just gave me a dirty look. I did get about 100 feet of left over 50Ω Heliax off the end of the reel.

All the equipment was supplied by Tessco as some sort of package.

Of course, they held the connectors on with electrical tape, so the whole mess was doomed from the start. Nextel lasted a few more years, then we pulled the plug on their BDA's. Reused the Heliax to give our network guys a "real" GPS antenna installation for the NTP servers. Reinstalled all the connectors properly. Network dudes were impressed that they didn't loose GPS lock with the new setup. Something about sticking a mag mount GPS antenna in the window of someones office that they couldn't quite understand.

Bearcom got the contract and as far as I know still does.

Getting owned by Bearcom is a pretty big statement.