A Coalition of Chicago Based Media Organizations Joins Together in Regards to CPD's Encryption

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
From last night one of the Twitter posters:

16: xxxxx & xxxxx - Three males seen cutting the catalytic converter off a Taxi cab, offenders last seen driving n/b on xxxx in a white Audi SUV.

So...as you can see, encryption is hard to fight when this stupidity is being put out on social media. If you think "no one probably knows", you can be sure they do.

Zone 1 is one of the few zones still unencrypted.

But now people are aware of it and will check their security cameras to see if they have any footage and unknown witnesses may come forward.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
And what if the perpetrator becomes aware that they're onto him?

Who? The police or the community? Either way, with the proliferation of cheap and easy to use security cameras, and social networks works like next door and Facebook community groups, the first time they do it, they are on LE and communities radar. And unless the cops happen to roll up on them doing it, nothing will be done for the average person by LE. At best you get them to come by and write you a report for insurance. Also, when the bad guys become aware that they have more eyes on them, they tend to become less brave about committing these low lever crimes.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
But now people are aware of it and will check their security cameras to see if they have any footage and unknown witnesses may come forward.
Who? The police or the community? Either way, with the proliferation of cheap and easy to use security cameras, and social networks works like next door and Facebook community groups, the first time they do it, they are on LE and communities radar. And unless the cops happen to roll up on them doing it, nothing will be done for the average person by LE. At best you get them to come by and write you a report for insurance. Also, when the bad guys become aware that they have more eyes on them, they tend to become less brave about committing these low lever crimes.

You being from California, kind of a laughable response. Unless you're the OEMC, any "real time" tweeting or broadcasting should be done by them. 4 more to go, and maybe Zone 1 will be next :unsure:. This poor kid might have to do his homework instead of tweeting "real time" CPD events:LOL:

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
You being from California, kind of a laughable response. Unless you're the OEMC, any "real time" tweeting or broadcasting should be done by them. 4 more to go, and maybe Zone 1 will be next :unsure:. This poor kid might have to do his homework instead of tweeting "real time" CPD events:LOL:

I fail to see how me being from California has anything to do with it but ok?

And in my experience, agencies will never say anything to anyone unless they are pressured to. They are happy to crow about major crimes but never say a word about minor property crimes.

JethrowJohnson

And in my experience, agencies will never say anything to anyone unless they are pressured to. They are happy to crow about major crimes but never say a word about minor property crimes.
Sorry to tell ya but my local news is the same way. Unless it's major major, they don't care. They even reported about a knifepoint robbery a few weeks ago but that isn't even what happened.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber

Not sure how Tweeting about catalytic converter thefts in progress will put pressure on anyone, but hey Cali dude, thanks for checkin in, now back to Chicago reality world. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
Not sure how Tweeting about catalytic converter thefts in progress will put pressure on anyone, but hey Cali dude, thanks for checkin in, now back to Chicago reality world. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

They wouldn’t and idk where you got that connection from. The point is that many times people are unaware of what’s going on in there communities and LE is already too busy to spend time talking to communities about local crimes and what to be on the lookout for. I doubt CPD is going to go around telling everyone in a neighborhood that a low level property crime happened and ask questions. By using info from direct sources along with community efforts, the people can be aware of what’s going on at the street level.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
They wouldn’t and idk where you got that connection from. The point is that many times people are unaware of what’s going on in there communities and LE is already too busy to spend time talking to communities about local crimes and what to be on the lookout for. I doubt CPD is going to go around telling everyone in a neighborhood that a low level property crime happened and ask questions. By using info from direct sources along with community efforts, the people can be aware of what’s going on at the street level.

Something called Beat meetings occur monthly.
The "silent dispatch" which they've been using since PDT's were installed in cars:

Probably because of the Twitter follower who posts "play by play" dispatches for all to see from Zone 1 overnights :unsure:

As you read here, the area that the "silent dispatch" occurred just happened to be the same Zone (Districts), that are still transmitting in analog, has an active "tweeter" who tweets live incidents too. Coincidence? So as I posted, it's hard to fight encryption with this nonsense going on.
I've been asked a couple questions via DM on Twitter in regards to these stories. Scanners have been around since the 70's, but wasn't has been around was social media and streaming, which seems to be the biggest hang ups and reason for going to encryption. Add the "rogue radios" that were transmitting (which I think RR's free database access then), made it easier to acquire CTCSS tones and input frequencies. We can't overlook that fact unfortunately. When it's often mentioned, that "people were listening to CPD on their phones", that's where it's time to reevaluate what we do here in regards to streaming. While I understand the "need", a "mandatory delay" should be implemented so we demonstrate we can improve. Of course the work around is to buy a scanner, but as many of us know, programming some of these trunking systems are alot more complicated then the good old days of buying crystals at Radio Shack. The trend will continue unfortunately, unless we get a hold of it.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
Something called Beat meetings occur monthly.

As you read here, the area that the "silent dispatch" occurred just happened to be the same Zone (Districts), that are still transmitting in analog, has an active "tweeter" who tweets live incidents too. Coincidence? So as I posted, it's hard to fight encryption with this nonsense going on.

So you have to wait a month to find out what’s going on? I don’t even have to wait an hour. A soon as some crime is discovered, someone post video and pictures of it, the online community starts gathering and adding info and makes everyone more aware of it and within a few hours the suspects are identified or property is recovered. There have been times we’ve beat LE to solving the case.

Does this person live tweet officer locations or play by plays of street level investigations, because that would be a hindrance to investigations?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
So you have to wait a month to find out what’s going on? I don’t even have to wait an hour. A soon as some crime is discovered, someone post video and pictures of it, the online community starts gathering and adding info and makes everyone more aware of it and within a few hours the suspects are identified or property is recovered. There have been times we’ve beat LE to solving the case.

We've all heard about how California handles crime, and your state is just as big as a mess as Illinois is. This thread is about Chicago encryption and why it's happening, and I'll keep my responses to that.

p25man123

Premium Subscriber
A recent Mayoral Forum by WGN last week mentioned about this and it shows that 8 of the 9 Candidates running for Mayor will not continue Encryption if elected.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
A recent Mayoral Forum by WGN last week mentioned about this and it shows that 8 of the 9 Candidates running for Mayor will not continue Encryption if elected.

Until they are then they won’t care and will just say we can’t afford to turn it off because someone will tell them it cost too much to do it and they can’t afford it, or will just say they are looking into it forever.