A Few Fixes That Would Make DSD+ Even Better :)

adamfancher

Premium Subscriber
Any chance of adding the capability to paste from the clipboard when entering Alpha tags? This would make live changes so much easier.

Also, can anything be done about the appliciation's propensity to completely wipe the DSDPlus.radios file off the face of the earth without warning? I do my best to keep backups but this is a very regular occurrence and I've cumulatively lost a lot of hours of hard work.

Thanks in advance

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Any chance of adding the capability to paste from the clipboard when entering Alpha tags? This would make live changes so much easier.
The RID and TG files can be edited in a regular word processor, such as Notepad, Wordpad or Notepad ++, any of which can use the paste feature. When you complete the edits just save the new file with the appropriate DSD file name.

Also, can anything be done about the appliciation's propensity to completely wipe the DSDPlus.radios file off the face of the earth without warning? I do my best to keep backups but this is a very regular occurrence and I've cumulatively lost a lot of hours of hard work.
I've been using the program for many years and have never experienced this issue, nor have I heard of this from other users. Perhaps you should post about this and maybe someone can figure out the cause/solution, but I doubt it is a bug in the program.

adamfancher

Premium Subscriber
The RID and TG files can be edited in a regular word processor, such as Notepad, Wordpad or Notepad ++, any of which can use the paste feature. When you complete the edits just save the new file with the appropriate DSD file name.
Yeah, I'm aware. It would just be a nice feature to have it that way internally without having to dig through a separate file.

I've been using the program for many years and have never experienced this issue, nor have I heard of this from other users. Perhaps you should post about this and maybe someone can figure out the cause/solution, but I doubt it is a bug in the program.

Been there, done that. Started a thread, found others that also experienced this:

Would love to see these few things addressed.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Since everyone does not see the loss of radios, it may not be the program. I have most of my radio computers running 24/7 and have had it happen only a dozen or so times in the last 9 years. Where it has happened is more from power failure or otherwise not shutting the program down properly. Getting a basic UPS solved that

adamfancher

Premium Subscriber
Since everyone does not see the loss of radios, it may not be the program. I have most of my radio computers running 24/7 and have had it happen only a dozen or so times in the last 9 years. Where it has happened is more from power failure or otherwise not shutting the program down properly. Getting a basic UPS solved that
I would say that 95-100% of the time it was due to a BSOD crash, which I do occasionally experience. Just seems a rather destructive way of dealing with a file that may be corrupt but still readable and fixable.

It seems the current methodology is: DSDPlus.radios, thousands of lines long, experiences an OS crash, pukes, and gets a little bit of throw up on iteslf. Seeing this, DSDPlus blows the entire thing away without creating a copy and replaces it with a nicely formatted blank page of nothing.

System crashes are not ideal, but they do happen, and it seems that in those cases a rather deliberate decision is made to clobber everything and start anew over a syntax/formatting error.

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber

I've noticed that even after changing the radio file, DSD+ still doesn't import the aliases for NXDN but keeps the over the air alias, and when it doesn't decode it right (when the alias ends in ... because DSD+ forces you to listen to TGs until it gets a good radio ID decode), it will always track that radio id even if you have the TG locked out. I've changed the alias in the radio file and it still for some reason uses the alias that is still saved in the DSD+ program somewhere with the .... in it, so therefore anytime that ID keys up on a locked out TG DSD+ follows it.

BUT, when you change the ID alias in the DSD+ program itself, it takes.

Kind of hard to explain, I hope that makes sense.

CanesFan95

Analog already is interoperable.
Are you removing the asterisk * when editing the radio alias?

cg

Premium Subscriber
There is an asterisk before the alias in quotes. If you delete that, the alias will remain as it is. So allow them to populate, once you are happy, delete the *
done:
TIIIStd, L1501:13, 600-72-900, 600-72-201, 50, Normal, 61, 2024/02/28 5:46, "Portable 1 "
TIIIStd, L1501:13, 600-72-900, 600-72-202, 50, Normal, 117, 2024/02/15 22:23, "Portable 2"
TIIIStd, L1501:13, 600-72-900, 600-72-203, 50, Normal, 51, 2024/02/15 10:39, "Portable 3"
not yet done:
TIIIStd, L1501:13, 600-72-900, 600-72-204, 50, Normal, 56, 2024/02/14 7:34, *"Portable 4"
TIIIStd, L1501:13, 600-72-900, 600-72-205, 50, Normal, 25, 2024/02/15 10:48, *"Portable 5"
TIIIStd, L1501:13, 600-72-900, 600-72-206, 50, Normal, 59, 2024/02/14 5:04, *"Portable 6"

slicerwizard

I would say that 95-100% of the time it was due to a BSOD crash, which I do occasionally experience. Just seems a rather destructive way of dealing with a file that may be corrupt but still readable and fixable.
So you get a BSOD while DSD+ is writing its large .radios file and on reboot, Windows either can't find the file or reports its size as zero bytes, but it's a DSD+ fault?

It seems the current methodology is: DSDPlus.radios, thousands of lines long, experiences an OS crash, pukes, and gets a little bit of throw up on iteslf. Seeing this, DSDPlus blows the entire thing away without creating a copy and replaces it with a nicely formatted blank page of nothing.
Then you should be able to demonstrate this. What does this thousands of lines long file that DSD+ refuses to process look like?

System crashes are not ideal, but they do happen, and it seems that in those cases a rather deliberate decision is made to clobber everything and start anew over a syntax/formatting error.
BSODs are not normal. That's your real problem and you should fix THAT. But, since you get them, on the next one, why not grab that .radios file that you say DSD+ is barfing on and tell us all what it looks like.

adamfancher

Premium Subscriber
Here is my current DSDPlus.radios file (renamed to allowable file extension for attachment) in a working state.

Attachments

• DSDPlusRadios.txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

adamfancher

Premium Subscriber
So you get a BSOD while DSD+ is writing its large .radios file and on reboot, Windows either can't find the file or reports its size as zero bytes, but it's a DSD+ fault?
....Maybe? I suppose it could be Windows' fault, then again I'm not trying to assign blame here, I'm just reporting what I've observed and I've never seen something this specific happen so many times.

Then you should be able to demonstrate this. What does this thousands of lines long file that DSD+ refuses to process look like?
Next time I crash, I'll grab whatever's there before I fire up DSD+ so it doesn't overwrite with a new one

BSODs are not normal. That's your real problem and you should fix THAT. But, since you get them, on the next one, why not grab that .radios file that you say DSD+ is barfing on and tell us all what it looks like.

I'll restate that the BSOD's are not ideal but if they were not common we wouldn't know them as well and despise them as much as we do. I personally would love for them to stop but I haven't been able to isolate the issue. For reference, the BSODs I experience frequently are MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, and BAD_POOL_HEADER .

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
What windows OS are you using? I thought BSOD's were a thing of the past. I have six computers running 24/7 here and have not seen one in years. I have 4 Lenovo I5 tiny Pc's running Win 10, A I12 intel machine and a Beelink SER Ryzen9 with Win 11 and never get them. I have also never had my radios file get corrupted. Sounds like a PC problem to me. Go to task manager and disable start up programs you do not use, that will free up some resources on the machine.

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
I recommend trying to see whatever system messages appear before Windows starts, also. Maybe review the settings in the Boot Menu.

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
There is an asterisk before the alias in quotes. If you delete that, the alias will remain as it is. So allow them to populate, once you are happy, delete the *
done:
TIIIStd, L1501:13, 600-72-900, 600-72-201, 50, Normal, 61, 2024/02/28 5:46, "Portable 1 "
TIIIStd, L1501:13, 600-72-900, 600-72-202, 50, Normal, 117, 2024/02/15 22:23, "Portable 2"
TIIIStd, L1501:13, 600-72-900, 600-72-203, 50, Normal, 51, 2024/02/15 10:39, "Portable 3"
not yet done:
TIIIStd, L1501:13, 600-72-900, 600-72-204, 50, Normal, 56, 2024/02/14 7:34, *"Portable 4"
TIIIStd, L1501:13, 600-72-900, 600-72-205, 50, Normal, 25, 2024/02/15 10:48, *"Portable 5"
TIIIStd, L1501:13, 600-72-900, 600-72-206, 50, Normal, 59, 2024/02/14 5:04, *"Portable 6"

Yes I have removed the asterisk while DSD was open and running, saved the file and when that radio ID popped up again, DSD+ followed the TG even though it was locked out and replaced what I saved with what was decoded before.

Like I said it's really hard to explain and it may only happen on NXDN. I don't think I have any DMR that does OTA aliasing around me, at least none that I am interested in.

I've learned to deal with it. Luckily the system I monitor DSD+ has filled out all of the OTA aliases so it's not that big of a deal. But, like I said it seems to only take the change if you do it in the menus of the DSD+ software, which means one ID at a time. This only applies to IDs that have gotten a bad decode at the beginning of the transmission for whatever reason. It seams like DSD+ only looks for the OTA alias once in the beginning of the transmission, then throws the how ever many other times the alias is sent OTA during the transmission out.

CanesFan95

Analog already is interoperable.
DSD+ claims you can edit files while DSD+ is running, but I'm not convinced. There's times I've made a change or deleted something with the program running and not have it save what I did.

Muxlow

Super Secret
DSD+ claims you can edit files while DSD+ is running, but I'm not convinced. There's times I've made a change or deleted something with the program running and not have it save what I did.
Cant say iv had that issue. Been using it since its release and every DSD+FL update. Anything iv entered hasnt gone missing at all while its running

cg

Premium Subscriber
You can edit the alias, you cannot insert or delete a radio. You can also change the priority but I have had my Windows 11 computer tell me I needed Admin privileges to do that. Usually second or third try saving and it works.

adamfancher

Premium Subscriber

So, had a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT blue screen and this time, grabbed a copy of the DSDPlus.radios file, have a look:
A file reporting the same file size, only completely blank.

Now, after launching DSDPlus, we see it parse its data files: 1724202085621.png
So far, all we have is the corrupt file if we look at DSDPlus.radios

I punch in my control frequency, and suddenly if we open up the DSDPlus.radios file to see this:

1724202422546.png

Is Windows hosing the file? Probably. Would it still be nice to have periodic backups built into DSD+ to help mitigate one of Windows' many shortfalls for the handful of us that have experienced this repeatedly for this particular application? I'd say yes, but then again, it's just a suggestion.

Attachments

• DSDPlusRadios.txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 5