ABQ Metro

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
I heard it was yet again because the criminals can listen to APD on the phone app thanks to Broadcastify and how they refuse to add like a 30 min delay in audio. Thanks to them scanner friends can no longer listen to APD. Thanks Broadcastify! My question is how is the media not going nuts about this.

Lebowski

OG Member
Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking they've issued the media radios or pagers. That's not unheard of in markets where they go Encryption.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
Unication Pagers will do Encryption if you know the Key. I never really understood why they made a pager that would do encryption but maybe this is 1 reason. The Unication pagers rock. Great scanners.

They had to do something for the media I am sure. No way those rats would be happy and quiet about the switch.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Been testing one out using encryption. I'm honestly impressed with them specially digital on 700.

More than likely it is what we will be buying for our users in future specially to resolve authorized monitoring with what they need to.

Only issue I have is they don't have ability to stun these. Would be nice if they had firmware which if lost one could send stun to it and then the pager locks up and requires the encryption utility to unlock it and un stun it with proper code. If they did this it would be a major game changer. It wouldn't be hard to make it watch for a particular command with proper ID or code specific for each pager to be stunned if firmware and software supported it. Unication has right idea but needs to fix that and they'll have a for sure land with agencies more than they do now.

Due to that though LE specials or mains secured wouldn't be added for the common user. But for secure fire channels or ems it is pretty good.

Unication Pagers will do Encryption if you know the Key. I never really understood why they made a pager that would do encryption but maybe this is 1 reason. The Unication pagers rock. Great scanners.

They had to do something for the media I am sure. No way those rats would be happy and quiet about the switch.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
It only takes one bad apple to spoil the fun for all. As to the Unication Pagers yes that would be awesome if they could add stun to the pager. Would be simple add and then Admins could issue media pagers with the encryption key loaded and should the pager go missing they could stun or kill it. But the system would also never know if the pager is on so the command would have to be sent blind on every control ch in the system and would be hope for the best if it got to the pager. The Stun and Kill command is sent by the system to were the radio is affiliated and gets confirmation from the radio when completed. Since the Unication pager is RX only the system has no idea where the pagers are or if they are even on. So I don't think its as easy as firmware in the pagers. They would need to become 2way pagers.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Not only a radio technician (not top knock glorious like djones or the guys at code 3 or advanced) for a government body but also over 20 years in public safety I have worked and seen myself a lot first hand.

Lindsay can scold me or Mike as they keep the forums heavily guarded but what touched me the most was the Jarrett incident. Yes I worked with him on a couple occasions when he worked step out-of his district very briefly but it does impact a person.

What does this have to do with scanners? His suspect for fact was monitoring NMSP legacy microwave vhf out in Deming that day and could hear on a scanner his traffic which was left out by media or scope for the bigger issue. More so officers at the ending scene could hear not only both dispatch and units on this scanner on the microwave system but the units couldn't at time hear their own guys mobile but also he was monitoring daso and lcpd thus his avoiding of spike strips. (Money in politics plays huge part in NM bodies, I'm sure djones will agree thus nothing is said outloud and some places cheap out avoiding solutions which is what daso seems to have chosen for keeping vhf old hardware not replacing all their county vfd and daso end with bigger antennas on the towers or site power increases over field equipment solutions).

Jarrett tried to approach this as a normal traffic stop with the person uninformed unknowing the situation while himself also unknowing the dangers others lacked to inform him of existing while this person was hearing traffic on SC and CS end. It was speculated by some he turned off or lowered this scanner when Jarrett approached but was locked and loaded ready.

Does encryption hinder other first responders not In a particular area coming in yes it does. But is it for common good? Yes. I myself don't like it but if it saves another from a Jarrett situation I'd be for it.

Should a retired first responder or radio shop guy be vouched to hear traffic? Yes but does it happen? Not in most cases. Should a active vouched first responder be considered a asset visiting Albuquerque with capable equipment? Yes but unlikely.

In end safety is important. The fact is new mexico has a huge growing gang/theft problem along with narcotics and human smuggling never admitted by media or cities for their tourist boosts.

It isn't helping with influx of California new comers who most are decent though bring relatives or others whom aren't so law biding.

I recall seeing several videos of live self important people out for a quick buck off donations live streaming stalking APD and NMSP D5 in real time using scanners unlike a delayed stream.

I said it. Fwiw. Scold me I don't care. After this incident it hit hard in many ways as well as for a vouched person whom monitors others elsewhere within the state not wanting that to occur again.

As for the pager I agree djones. Hopefully dealers will push unication or motorola for this option down the road in a near future so rather than a radio a pager with firmware to only authorized personnel and agencies locked with 2 way ability to say hey I'm here but only for hearing per say specific talkgroups could be stunned or inhibited as needed per a dispatch for authorized media outlets or per say a group call to inhibit allowed monitors then uninhibit said allowed outside active duty.

People can't say impossible as the apx8000 and coming kenwood all band and bkr was once said impossible.

New Mexico has some pretty intelligent, very underpaid dispatchers BTW that wouldn't forget to unhibit those media pagers as needed. Anyone whom works in NM as a dispatcher I can say is very unique and does their job so well from a lot of unseen personal sacrifices which make them unique.

In the end it is important agencies get on board on same page working together as well as competion contractors. Somewhere someone has to take a hit saying it.

It only takes one bad apple to spoil the fun for all. As to the Unication Pagers yes that would be awesome if they could add stun to the pager. Would be simple add and then Admins could issue media pagers with the encryption key loaded and should the pager go missing they could stun or kill it. But the system would also never know if the pager is on so the command would have to be sent blind on every control ch in the system and would be hope for the best if it got to the pager. The Stun and Kill command is sent by the system to were the radio is affiliated and gets confirmation from the radio when completed. Since the Unication pager is RX only the system has no idea where the pagers are or if they are even on. So I don't think its as easy as firmware in the pagers. They would need to become 2way pagers.

DigitalRain

Maybe I missed something. Is everything in Albuquerque dark? Not getting anything on my radio. so I need to know if it's my radio before I start messing with it.

Lebowski

OG Member
Premium Subscriber
Good point... I guess until the pagers are addressable, they are just liabilities if they are loaded with keys. I cannot imagine they would do that at this point. R only radios are way less risky. You'd probably want the "media outlet" to pay for them though.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Given the way it is setup the reverting to the non secure command mains is a current use or not use per command staff. Give it time they may revert back as needed vice versa. They have their reasons.

As for eventually things being solid stuck to it eventually it's a given in most major population centers now days.

It was well said by a few it was going to happen on and off and eventually permanent like Hobbs did.

Only gripe I have is some didn't plan ahead locking out NMSP on duties from hearing locals which most would scan locals. Luckily those places I won't name resolved it temporarily but it was per say due to one having only mass purchased a particular feature while the other only had another different feature in the equipment picking a cost effective solution while resolving for their reasons using it.

Last I knew this was being worked on for future resolutions in long term aspects. A few locals were left out initially which was mainly over wolf vs dog politics but I believe a resolution was come to and fixed.

In the end the chiefs have the say who has it as they are the ones who are legally liable end of day. Add in internal security legal factors as well as crazy as it seems anymore.

It isn't uncommon in some places regular patrols will not have access to supervisor channels or other special channels as yes some do hear themself r2d2 garble scanning even though they are authorized for primary duties. CBP comes to mind with this type of setup with bortac, hsi, internal affairs which some won't bother to scan as after a entire shift of garble on those channels annoys some so they park on their main channel.

Maybe I missed something. Is everything in Albuquerque dark? Not getting anything on my radio. so I need to know if it's my radio before I start messing with it.