• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ADP working on some (but not all) channels

rjvalenta

Premium Subscriber
any XTS/XTL CPS experts that may have any ideas on why a codeplug that has one talkgroup which uses the same ADP key as everything else in the radio - and when using NAS the radio will stop on that talkgroup and display the ID of the transmitting radio, but not decrypt the one talkgroup. all other talkgroups work fine.

the radio has many trunking personalities, this talkgroup is in a personality that has one other talkgroup and that other talkgroup is always used in the clear.

i am trying to learn, i borrowed someone else's radio to check it's programming against mine, the personality seems identical, the keys are identical, the other radio opens up for that talkgroup, mine does not. i am at a loss.

i could drag the other radio's programming over, but i won't learn anything. if anyone has ideas on what to check please let me know, thank you.

ElevatorsAndRadios

yarewesog
Premium Subscriber
If you are authorized to have the key, and therefore I assume authorized to listen to the system, why are you trying to NAS? Ask the system admin or proper authority who provided you with the key to properly program the radio. Maybe if you ask nicely and show a willingness to learn, they'll even show you how!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Something about this doesn’t pass the smell test.
Yep, sounds like someone's key(s) are compromised. Word of warning, possessing encryption keys without authorization is the kind of stuff that can get visits from the FBI, HomeSec, and D.A.'s office investigators. Just saying.

If one is authorized, then the subscriber would have a valid RID and properly be registering and no need for NAS, right?

rjvalenta

Premium Subscriber
yeah, i'm sorry i bothered to ask here... silly me expecting to find help in forums. i went to my superiors and was given the simple hint to check my trunking personality and found my error. thanks for letting me embarrass myself with a simple mistake as i'm being allowed to learn with old equipment. maybe someday ill get the knowledge to be suspicious of others trying to learn.

i'd delete this post if i could, maybe an admin will do me that favor.

clbsquared

yeah, i'm sorry i bothered to ask here... silly me expecting to find help in forums. i went to my superiors and was given the simple hint to check my trunking personality and found my error. thanks for letting me embarrass myself with a simple mistake as i'm being allowed to learn with old equipment. maybe someday ill get the knowledge to be suspicious of others trying to learn.

i'd delete this post if i could, maybe an admin will do me that favor.
The red flag here is that you are doing NAS on an encrypted system. If you were given legitimate access to an encrypted system, and given the key, why are you doing NAS?
You would have had a better chance at getting the answers you were looking for if you had not mentioned an questionable way of monitoring a trunking system without technically being affiliated.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
In the overall scheme of things NAS has no effect on encryption working or not working. If you had left that out people "may" have been a little more helpful.

I'm sure you "superiors" would be pleased with this statement...

and had read online that i could use depot to put an XTL5000 codeplug it it for more channels, so i created said codeplug and push it into the radio...

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Yep, total B.S...another whacker hacker gets called out. News flash, legitimate programmers don't need to use NAS, as one would be provided with an ID, a block of IDs and have had attended agency provided training from a vendor, not going to hobbyist forums asking novice level questions.

If one has encryption keys and no authorization in writing from one agency to another to have them, there is a bigger problem than someone forking around trying to get their Ebay XTS passively monitoring a network.

K2NEC

So I have to ask, who is Slater?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Folks wonder why those of us who maintain and care for these systems watch these forums.
NAS isn't a huge concern IF done correctly.
Someone trying to extract software encryption keys is.
The O/P, if not authorized, admitted to, on a public forum, attempting to extract encryption keys and duplicate them in another radio.
12 reasonable people would call that hacking. Ask anyone.

This is why we password protect codeplugs, and use hardware encryption. If SLATER radio support folks are reading this, you've got a problem.
I am amazed at how people brazenly admit to what amounts to potentially serious felonies on public spaces.
Remember these words of wisdom: it's all good, until it isn't.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
A few 🚩 with this guy lately. Won't be long until he's on SLATER's radar, if he's not already.
Let's just say if this was my system, I would clear my plate of all tasks and laser focus on finding one who proclaims to have any encryption they aren't authorized to have.
You can bet I would not rest until they have INMATE #xxxxxxx on our jail management system and got to meet our world famous district attorney in a court room.