AFRN Programming Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

arturobandini

Is AFRN P25? Auto? Manual? Something else? Trying to program a Pro-651 and not having any luck. I put in the freqs and then the BFD talk group: nothing.

arturobandini

Bloody Hell. Any recommendations for a replacement or a website that will help me choose? I can't spend a lot.

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
Personally I use the BCD436HP. If simulcast is not a problem where you are then that will work fine. Otherwise if simulcast is a problem then you will need a SDS100. I just bought another 436 after Christmas from Bearcat Warehouse for $429.00. The SDS 100 is $649.00.

arturobandini

Thank you. I confess, as a novice, I don't understand simulcast being problem. At those prices it's a low priority for me right now. Sad about all of this, though. Rude awakening.

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
Personally I use the BCD436HP. If simulcast is not a problem where you are then that will work fine. Otherwise if simulcast is a problem then you will need a SDS100. I just bought another 436 after Christmas from Bearcat Warehouse for $429.00. The SDS 100 is $649.00.

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
Thank you. I confess, as a novice, I don't understand simulcast being problem. At those prices it's a low priority for me right now. Sad about all of this, though. Rude awakening.

It's sad because back in the day we had crystal controlled scanners and everything worked fine. Now everything is so computer controlled and encrypted is costing an arm and a leg to continue the hobby.

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
jefferson county is phase 1

I was under the impression that it was all Phase II since all the sites in Jefferson County only showed N/A for the site modulation. I usually listen to Opelika and they are P25 Phase 2 TDMA . The main page for the Alabama First Responder Network shows :

Alabama First Responder Network

System Name:Alabama First Responder Network
County:Statewide
System Type:Project 25 Phase II
System Voice:APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive
Last Updated:January 8, 2020, 7:15 am ((1) Talkgroups Updated (Jefferson County - Trafford))

I stand corrected. Then the Pro-651 should be able to pick it up.

radiopro52

The system is capable of Phase II but most of the talkgroups seem to still be phase I. I know all the talkgroups here in Morgan and Madison counties are phase I. When I was vacationing down in the gulf a couple of weeks ago they were using Phase II.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have an ARC500 file for Jefferson Co. At the time I did it, Jefferson Co was operating Phase 1. I can't check right now. The Radio Reference database is down. I can easily convert the file to WIN500 if you prefer that. The system type is P25 Auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.