• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Airline travel with radios?

jruta

Well, I’m going to Nebraska to visit family and would like to take my APX with me (primarily for weather channels)

Does anyone know current airline policy/regulations? I’ve read mixed things.

I’d like to bring the radio in my carryon bag, as I know they don’t allow lithium batteries in the belly of the plane.

Anyone have experience with this? Because if they’re gonna confiscate my radio as I’m on the the security line, the wife is gonna be flying without me Lol.

Thanks
John

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Keep it in your carry on. Be ready to pull it out and put it in the tray, though.

Make sure the battery is charged so you can show them it works as intended. If you have an FCC issued license, keep a copy with you.

The few times I've done this, I never had an issue. They either will ignore it, or they'll ask you a few question and move you on. Usually attitude goes a long way….

jruta

Keep it in your carry on. Be ready to pull it out and put it in the tray, though.

Make sure the battery is charged so you can show them it works as intended. If you have an FCC issued license, keep a copy with you.

The few times I've done this, I never had an issue. They either will ignore it, or they'll ask you a few question and move you on. Usually attitude goes a long way….
Thank you much 👍

K2NEC

I've always kept radios in my backpack. Sometimes I pull them out with the rest of my electronics but recently TSA have gotten the fancy 3D scanners so I don't even need to pull it out. Shouldnt be an issue but make sure your battery is charged in case TSA questions it's functionality.

jruta

I've always kept radios in my backpack. Sometimes I pull them out with the rest of my electronics but recently TSA have gotten the fancy 3D scanners so I don't even need to pull it out. Shouldnt be an issue but make sure your battery is charged in case TSA questions it's functionality.
Will do. Thanks

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ Say it, say 'ENCRYPTION'
While my experience isn't super relevant, because it was flying interprovincially in Canada, the ONLY time I had any sort of issue flying with radios was on one of my last flights. I had a UHF helical antenna, loose, in my carry on, and CATSA dug through my bag until they found it. Because of the 'spring' they saw on the x-ray screen.

Airport security was always more concerned that I pulled out my laptops and cell phones(at the time I had both corporate and personal phones and laptops)

Other than that, I've never had any issues carrying portable radios. Ever, even with extra batteries.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ Say it, say 'ENCRYPTION'
Well, I’m going to Nebraska to visit family and would like to take my APX with me (primarily for weather channels)

Does anyone know current airline policy/regulations? I’ve read mixed things.

I’d like to bring the radio in my carryon bag, as I know they don’t allow lithium batteries in the belly of the plane.

Anyone have experience with this? Because if they’re gonna confiscate my radio as I’m on the the security line, the wife is gonna be flying without me Lol.

Thanks
John
Keep it off, unless they ask you to power it up. Don't even mention it, unless they ask you about it. Leave it on a ham(assuming you are a ham) simplex channel or an unused weather channel.

PACNWDude

I travel via air with Harris and Motorola radios all the time. As mentioned, lithium ion batteries should be charged, and kept in carry on with the radio and available to power up if asked, as well as on some benign channel like weather or something unlicensed. Carry any licenses, (I also have a copy of the NIFOG tabbed and marked up) and one thing that has not been mentioned yet, do NOT try to use while the radio while on the plane! Just like people carry scanner's around in public, refrain from fondling the radio while in flight, and powering it up during the flight. That will keep you out of trouble.

The only issue I have ever had was when the Harris Unity XG-100P was rather new, and mostly federal agents carried them. Everyone that carried a radio for work wanted to get a glimpse of it, and see it powered on. This was on the ground while going through security though,not in flight.

ElevatorsAndRadios

yarewesog
I traveled domestically and internationally (US to Canada and back) with a carry-on of 6 or so DTR radios and an APX 8000. Never had an issue. I kept everything packed in a way such that I could easily unpack and remove all the radios, which I did every time before I went through security. The only questioning I got was if I worked on a film set.

jruta

Thanks all for the responses and advice. I was definitely NOT planning on powering it up while on the plane. Plan on keeping it packed away- and accessible if TSA needs a look. Just checking in with all of you with experience (I never fly).
Thanks all. Much appreciated.
John

10-43

Premium Subscriber
I have flown many times with various radios. Recently to Vancouver and returned from Fairbanks Alaska with 3 radios. No problems. You may be asked to turn it on. As mentioned, have a pleasant attitude with TSA. I have flown with my FT-857D and a 12 volt 8 Ah LifePo4 rechargeable battery. The voltage limit is 12 and the watt hour limit is 100. So I brought a 96 watt hour battery in a carry on pack with the FT-857D. No problems. TSA did inspect the battery capacity label on the battery. The battery terminals must be disconnected and insulated. All you need is electrical tape or better covering the terminals. You can find all this information on the TSA website. There are also FAA rules. Don't hesitate to call the local TSA office. I did that once asking about carrying on cremated remains. They were very helpful. They did test the urn for explosive powder residue when going through the checkpoint. Obviously because of how the contents appeared on the xray. BTW. I highly recommend TSA Precheck. It really makes it easier at the checkpoint. If you are military you can use your DOD ID number for the known traveler number without having to get Precheck.

Last edited:

paulears

One comment made me smile. Back in 1981 a friend bought brand new at huge cost an identical radio to the ones our police used, 3 channels - all ham ones, and he was licensed, Back then civilians with radios were very unusual, but having the same one the police used got us both arrested! An off duty police officer in a local shop saw him talking into it, rugby tackled him to the ground shouting "you're nicked son" - a police car arrived, put him in the back, and took me too, because we were together. He went mad. My system has always been stay calm. They interviewed me about where he got the stolen police radio. I asked to see it, turned it on and asked him to call his control room. Of course it didn't work. I brought up the local repeater and it peeped back. I told him he had a licence and bought the radio from the manufacturer. Lots of muttering and he got released. He spent the afternoon in a cell because he owned the same brand radio. Sorry for the OT post.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I've never had an issue flying with radios. That being said, I typically use my PIV-I as my ID (which is state issued not federally issued) when going through security which also has my county ID on the back side of the holder. Both very clearly say "Radio System Manager" and since all federal IDs are PIV-I's (TWIC, FastPass, DoD, DoE, FEMA, TSA, etc) these days they understand why I have the radios without having to ask. Service monitors…yea those always get a bit more a deep inspection but once the TSA agents learn the replacement cost of the equipment they are fondling is close to what they make a year…they become quite gentile and nicely pack the unit back up for me double checking to ensure everything is zipped up and latched so I don't have to do it.

jruta

I have flown many times with various radios. Recently to Vancouver and returned from Fairbanks Alaska with 3 radios. No problems. You may be asked to turn it on. As mentioned, have a pleasant attitude with TSA. I have flown with my FT-857D and a 12 volt 8 Ah LifePo4 rechargeable battery. The voltage limit is 12 and the watt hour limit is 100. So I brought a 96 watt hour battery in a carry on pack with the FT-857D. No problems. TSA did inspect the battery capacity label on the battery. The battery terminals must be disconnected and insulated. All you need is electrical tape or better covering the terminals. You can find all this information on the TSA website. There are also FAA rules. Don't hesitate to call the local TSA office. I did that once asking about carrying on cremated remains. They were very helpful. They did test the urn for explosive powder residue when going through the checkpoint. Obviously because of how the contents appeared on the xray. BTW. I highly recommend TSA Precheck. It really makes it easier at the checkpoint. If you are military you can use your DOD ID number for the known traveler number without having to get Precheck.

Thank you. Yes we do have pre-check screening, so hopefully no issues going there or back Lol

N4KVE

It’s my excuse to not have to check my bag on a full flight. When told “all the overheads are full, you’ll have to check your bag”, I reply, “sorry, I’ve got a 2-way radio with 5 LiON batteries, It stays in the cabin. And it did. But I leave my APX at home, & travel with my XPR.

10-43

Premium Subscriber
Thank you. Yes we do have pre-check screening, so hopefully no issues going there or back Lol
Pre-check makes it more relaxing. No taking off shoes and belts.

I put all my pocket items in a carry on item before getting to the checkpoint, and take them out after the checkpoint. Less stress.

Although you have pre-check, they still do random personal screenings. I have been pulled aside twice. No big deal.

10-43

Premium Subscriber
Keep it off, unless they ask you to power it up. Don't even mention it, unless they ask you about it. Leave it on a ham(assuming you are a ham) simplex channel or an unused weather channel.
Never ever had them check frequencies. They dont care. They just want to be sure its not a detination device.

TSA is concerned with keeping explosives off the aircraft and weapons out of the cabin.

You are not required to mention it, so yes dont say anything. And just as you would at a traffic stop. Do as they ask and not until then.

Last edited: