Alabama Interoperable Radio System (was: Alabama First Responder Network)

morganAL

There can only be one ISSI per system so a single ISSI would be used for Tuscaloosa, Birmingham/Jefferson, Baldwin, etc. The link between Birmingham and Montgomery was possibly through some other gateway/interop type system. I recall hearing something about it but I never really got the details

dgoodson

Feed Provider
New 700 MHz Tower Site
St. Clair County, AL
WROK439 - Birmingham Emergency Communications District

Site Location:
Odenville, AL
Bald Rock Mountain

Site Frequencies:

Anyone close to this New Tower Site may want to check it for activity.
Please Post any Frequency or Tower Site info found here or Submit an update to RR.
My radio is using 771.03125 as the control channel.
As to Branchville vs Odenville, the town of Branchville was officially dissolved a few years ago and that area annexed by Odenville, so I guess Odenville is a more precise designation the location with Bald Rock Mountain as an alias

codeplug

Disabled Veteran, US Army, RIP #Hobo Shoestring#
New ALEA TGs. AIRS

Alabama Law Enforcement Agency (ALEA)
TG 40400 - ALEA Troop G - ALEA Dispatch Troop G - Jacksonville/Birmingham Post
TG 40401 - ALEA Troop G - ALEA Dispatch Troop G - Jacksonville/Birmingham Post

ALEA Jacksonville/Birmingham Post / Patch to AIRS 700/800 MHz.
Only one Radio ID showed up in the 40203xx Range. It appeared to be a Console Patch.
I have not seen any Trooper HT or Mobile Unit ID's show up yet.

ALEA Dispatch Troop G was heard/seen on both TGs.
One TG could be used for the Jacksonville Post Units and the other could be for the Birmingham Post Units but not sure yet.
ALEA was on TG 40400 up until the Talladega Race then they started talking on TG 40401.
Not sure if ALEA is trying something new with AIRS or if it is just a temporary thing.
They have been seen on the Jefferson County Simulcast Sites and the Talladega County Sites and possibly have
access to other Tower Sites.

codeplug

New ALEA TGs. AIRS.
I see someone submitted the New TGs to RR Database and now they are Posted in RR.
Thanks to whomever submitted them.
Very Nice!

Does anyone know if ALEA Decatur is on AIRS in the Huntsville/Madison County and Jackson County areas?
I was trying to figure out if ALEA Decatur has gone to an AIRS TG in the Huntsville/Madison County and Jackson County areas.
I used to hear them on the Huntsville and Dutton 154.920, ALEA VHF Repeaters when conditions were good.
I have not heard them on that Frequency in a long time. I could be out of range to hear them.
I am hearing ALEA Decatur Dispatch on 154.9275 (Gadsden) and 158.790 (Fort Payne) Repeaters patched together and Dispatching Calls
to the Huntsville/Madison County and Jackson County areas but I am not hearing the Huntsville or Dutton 154.920 Repeaters.
I am only hearing the Birmingham Repeater.

codeplug

Thanks
I thought ALEA might be trying out AIRS since more areas are now covered with towers all over but ALEA only has a few repeaters here and there.

Julian1

Hearing Jacksonville 40401 on JEFFCO simulcast.
I added these TG’s to my Shelby County Sterrett tower to see if they sync with Shelby’s 700.

I also added 40402 & 40403 for giggles 👍🏻

SmithRJ

Thanks
I thought ALEA might be trying out AIRS since more areas are now covered with towers all over but ALEA only has a few repeaters here and there.
They are patching the VHF repeaters in Troop G to AIRS for the time being. Not all counties inside of the troop boundary are on AIRS...........yet. There's plans in the works though.

Bc0605

Comparing the list of sites in the database to a list I received from a radio tech friend, I found the following sites that aren’t listed in the database:
RFSSSITE IDNAME
218Brooks
219Lilian
220Porch Creek #2
221VZW RF Site
222Veterans parkway
312ALEA Trailer
43Shelby N Simo
4 4 Shelby S Simo
45Signal Mtn
46Bailey Hill
437Bibb Courthouse
438Bibb WUAL
55Mercedes
56Windham Springs
57Romulus
58Phillips Mtn
5 9 Fosters
61Dothan Simo

Last edited:

codeplug

New Unknown AIRS TG
TG 3101
Seen on the Jefferson Co. Simulcast Sites.
Clay Station Red Bird 20, Radio Test.
Sound like a Dispatcher answered with Loud and Clear.
Others talking but unable to make them out.
Any info would be appreciated.

medic9351301

Banned
Might be a birmingham fire tg
since redbirds are the crash trucks at bham airport. not sure about clay station though .
thats in the tg series for bham fire though

Finally getting back into scanning after being out of the hobby for a bit.

Can someone explain how the simulcast works in Jefferson County? Believe it or not I'm still using my old RadioShack Pro-96 to monitor traffic on this system and it actually seems to do pretty well on either the Huffman site or the simulcast.

How is this possible if the Pro-96 doesn't support Phase 2? Or is the simulcast not Phase 2? If its not, how long will it stay that way? In other words, how long can I keep getting by with what I've got?

medic9351301

Banned
Bob:
Here is the non tech version

As of right now the jeffco simulcast is a phase 1 9600 baud control channel system . as of right now i dont know of any plans to switch to phase2 for Jefferson county . However shelby county is working on moving to phase 2 . The big major diffrence in phase 1 and phase 2 is with phase 2 you get more bandwith/ channel capacity. But phase 2 is backwards meaning phase 2 radios will work on phase 1 provided that a department is using phase 1 radios . example being say the patrol sgts at a given depatment have a phase 2 radios but the beat guys only have phase 1 one radios . the controller would decode the phase2 signals to phase 1 and vice versa.

simulcast vs (stand alone sites) :

simulcast sytems :
The simulcast system basically is a super repeater. it is brodcasting all the talkgroups from all the simulcast sites only . the signals are basically competing to get broadcast this is how lsm comes into play . lsm is basically to many sites trying to be recieved at on time. Depenping how close you are to the towers you may or may not get lsm .Here at my house i am within 10 air miles of 4 simulcast sites and lsm kills my older scanners. How ever i know people that are not that close and they have no trouble getting simulcast traffic on older equipment.

Stand alone sites:
A stand alone is a site thats not feed back into the simulcast system . I guess you can compare a stand alone to a conventional analog repeater.
The only draw back to this is that they dont broadcast but only a select few talkgroups that are within range .
Here are a few examples of what i mean :

Huffman/ medical center east stand alone site only broadcast jeffco so channel 1 traffic .And other agencies that are in range of it. but you will stiil hear them on the simulcast sites . its possible that when a bessemer so patrol unit was to travel into that coverage area the radio would switch to that tower and broadcast bessemer sheriff's office patrol chanel traffic. This is all done via the system controller automatically. So unless a department physically has their radio set to huffman they would not know what site they are using .

Birmingham fire works the same way. i guess like engine 27 28 29 30. might be set to connect to huffman because they are in the footprint of the tower and you can still here all the traffic from all engines on huffman site . The palmerdale,graysville, warrior and other stand alone towers work the same way. Only broadcasting traffic from departments that have connected to the listed towers .

As for your scanner it works because it has
  • APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive and the ablity to decode phase 1 data .

• how ever it will not decode per say a true phase 2 talkgroup only using phase 2 radios, example lets say shelby co so makes the switch to phase 2 and all radios are phase 2 it might not decode it . because the shelby county sites would be broadcasting from true phase 2 equpiment meaning phase 2 radios and controllers.
if anyone wants to add or make corrections to this please feel free to .

hopefully this will help bob

Last edited:

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Bob
My wife has a former work friend down that way so I keep tabs on what is going on in that area so when we travel down that way I know what is going on and ready for it. In your previous post you hit it spot on and congrats to you sir!!!

Bob:
Here is the non tech version

As of right now the jeffco simulcast is a phase 1 9600 baud control channel system . as of right now i dont know of any plans to switch to phase2 for Jefferson county . However shelby county is working on moving to phase 2 . The big major diffrence in phase 1 and phase 2 is with phase 2 you get more bandwith/ channel capacity. But phase 2 is backwards meaning phase 2 radios will work on phase 1 provided that a department is using phase 1 radios . example being say the patrol sgts at a given depatment have a phase 2 radios but the beat guys only have phase 1 one radios . the controller would decode the phase2 signals to phase 1 and vice versa.

simulcast vs (stand alone sites) :

simulcast sytems :
The simulcast system basically is a super repeater. it is brodcasting all the talkgroups from all the simulcast sites only . the signals are basically competing to get broadcast this is how lsm comes into play . lsm is basically to many sites trying to be recieved at on time. Depenping how close you are to the towers you may or may not get lsm .Here at my house i am within 10 air miles of 4 simulcast sites and lsm kills my older scanners. How ever i know people that are not that close and they have no trouble getting simulcast traffic on older equipment.

Stand alone sites:
A stand alone is a site thats not feed back into the simulcast system . I guess you can compare a stand alone to a conventional analog repeater.
The only draw back to this is that they dont broadcast but only a select few talkgroups that are within range .
Here are a few examples of what i mean :

Huffman/ medical center east stand alone site only broadcast jeffco so channel 1 traffic .And other agencies that are in range of it. but you will stiil hear them on the simulcast sites . its possible that when a bessemer so patrol unit was to travel into that coverage area the radio would switch to that tower and broadcast bessemer sheriff's office patrol chanel traffic. This is all done via the system controller automatically. So unless a department physically has their radio set to huffman they would not know what site they are using .

Birmingham fire works the same way. i guess like engine 27 28 29 30. might be set to connect to huffman because they are in the footprint of the tower and you can still here all the traffic from all engines on huffman site . The palmerdale,graysville, warrior and other stand alone towers work the same way. Only broadcasting traffic from departments that have connected to the listed towers .

As for your scanner it works because it has
  • APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive and the ablity to decode phase 1 data .

• how ever it will not decode per say a true phase 2 talkgroup only using phase 2 radios, example lets say shelby co so makes the switch to phase 2 and all radios are phase 2 it might not decode it . because the shelby county sites would be broadcasting from true phase 2 equpiment meaning phase 2 radios and controllers.
if anyone wants to add or make corrections to this please feel free to .

hopefully this will help bob
That's a great breakdown of it, thanks for your help!