Alachua/ Gainesville GRUCom P25 (4D9.BEE00)

KO4IPV

I don't mean to toss hot water on you about the above, but that's simply not representative of my experience -

This screenshot is DSD+/FMPA using a DPD productions Omni X - mounted at roof level (20ft or so) and fed with about 40ft of LMR400 -- Apopka is 60+ miles and Tampa is 100+ miles away from me. I do not consider my antenna set up to be anything extreme - and while the band may be slightly open this evening, this type of reception is not abnormal for me. I would offer to @Canelo56 that there is something wrong - somewhere with his setup.... coax... connector... something....because (my opinion) he should hear Gainesville from his QTH (about 30 miles away or so)

View attachment 90259
OK where are you located I am 25 miles south of Ocala Florida I don’t know your location but it sounds like you are closer to Gainesville I would imagine don’t really know and you’re getting Tampa also I have a Omni-X myself using LMR 50 feet, In my scanner is a SDS 100. I am not close enough to Gainesville what I am told to receive any signals but to receive Putnam county conventional frequencies easily and Clay county, I am at least 50 miles from Gainesville at least could be more.

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
I am near cocoa beach. Yes - over 100
Miles away froM Gainesville. I suspect you have a programming issue with the system if you aren’t hearing it from your location.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
That’s interesting! I live In South Summerfield, using a Omni-X witch is no slouch, not getting a sound out of Gainesville/ Alachua . I have tried switching antenna s , making the antenna 25 feet higher but nothing, however ever Putnam county a piece of cake , all conventional, and Clay county also.
Just wanted to add that I was using the Whistler TRX-2 base scanner and Yagi.

KO4IPV

Just wanted to add that I was using the Whistler TRX-2 base scanner and Yagi.
I was informed that a huge overhaul of the Gainesville/Alachua database is in the process: I am going to wait until Uniden reports the changes and try reprogramming.

KO4IPV

SDS100/ Omni-x Antenna home base / 25 feet off ground level 12 feet above roof line/ 50 ft of feed line, Wilson 400 / working off Sentinel program in favorites list , absolutely no audio, signal very strong , I tried adjusting squelch , still nothing, furthermore I do receive P-25 when Scanning other locations, in full database or another favorite list .

Attachments

• A2044A07-6C8A-47C0-A06F-3F5858485FD3.jpeg
    A2044A07-6C8A-47C0-A06F-3F5858485FD3.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 23

batdude

SDS100/ Omni-x Antenna home base / 25 feet off ground level 12 feet above roof line/ 50 ft of feed line, Wilson 400 / working off Sentinel program in favorites list , absolutely no audio, signal very strong , I tried adjusting squelch , still nothing, furthermore I do receive P-25 when Scanning other locations, in full database or another favorite list .
finally got some free time to look over your radio setup.... most certainly a programming issue somewhere, we just have to locate it.

I'll PM you later

doug

SRSP2282

Premium Subscriber
A friend overheard some testing of encrypted radio chatter the other day on ACSO and GPD talkgroups.
I heard the testing too... they have been doing it for a while now.

After drumming up some old documents, I came across a TRS->P25 implementation proposal from the early 2000's and another from 2012 where they stress they'll have "fully featured P25 Phase I implementation" by November of 2020. Could this mean encryption? More importantly, could these encryption tests only hint at the end of scanning in the Gainesville and Alachua areas?

There are a handful of docs floating around in the public domain about the system and changes over the years. Sometimes ENC is mentioned, but so far nothing is concrete. It is certainly possible that there will be migration to fulltime ENC. As whooey points out it is indeed a growing trend. There is another possibility. These tests could be to make sure that when patrol/marked units are working with groups like SWAT/DTF (who operate with ENC) that they can communicate together in secure mode.

So far I have not seen ENC tests with ACFR or GFR so that's promising.

In short, I don't think the sky is falling, but I wouldn't drop any money on a fancy new scanner right now either.

squall8ball

hell im in the heart of clay county and i not only pick up all Alachua traffic on a sdr crystal clear with a old whip cb antenna mounted 30 feet high, but all of clay county's as well, i will be upgrading antennas this week just to see what else i can grab!

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Back in 2015 time frame, I used to visit Alachua county and back then they were p-25 BUT I had to program my scanner as MOT analog TRS
I assume that's changed by now ?

I travel to Ocala once a week but never hear any traffic on Marion county
Marion/Ocala/Sumter are all encrypted Alachua is full P25 and Open Columbia is Encrypted as well

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
hell im in the heart of clay county and i not only pick up all Alachua traffic on a sdr crystal clear with a old whip cb antenna mounted 30 feet high, but all of clay county's as well, i will be upgrading antennas this week just to see what else i can grab!
Also even though they are all encrypted the TG info on Marion is all off Fire TG 1103 as an example should be 11103 and so on ran DSD on it last week for giggles I submitted it

batdude

Also even though they are all encrypted the TG info on Marion is all off Fire TG 1103 as an example should be 11103 and so on ran DSD on it last week for giggles I submitted it
Jason, I got your input to the DB but it's really kinda a hard spot to just do a wholesale change of all the TGs. Can you confirm the mass talkgroup changes via actual DSD data?

doug

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Yes absolutely I’m in Atlanta loading, I’ll post when I can, I ran it because I was wondering why nothing was hitting on my SDS200, found out why :) I mean they are all encrypted so any change really doesn’t make a difference, more for accuracy sake

zapman987

Premium Subscriber
I might have to setup an SDR this weekend and see if I can pick it up...

squall8ball

Ok so i am now broadcasting the Alachua county's frequencies for ems, fire, and basic police. Since im doing it through a SDR its going under the talk groups tab. My next venture is what i can of Jacksonville (at least what is not yet encrypted lol) and Clay county ( the same situation as Jacksonville.) The Jacksonville feed is going to be another SDR while the clay county will be a direct feed through a scanner.

LoneSailor

Hi... New scanner owner here. Need a little advice/direction/help on programming my BCD996P2 to monitor the Alachua County Sheriff and the Gainesville Police systems. I've successfully programmed Fire and EMS using Freescan, but am a little lost on the Sheriff and Police programming. Are the databases here up to date?
Any specific YouTube videos to watch?
Thanks in advance....