Alamo Area Regional Radio System (AARRS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmartin

Premium Subscriber
True, but what little there was is now in jeopardy. Bexar County has been far more interoperable. At least they were when Adelman was in charge of the communications center. Others are trying to pick up the torch, but it seems like an uphill battle because of a lot of general doubt within the broader community. This new radio system is going to be a mess. Bexar County's decision to stay with the City and be a partner in the new system is the worst decision they have ever made.
I don't understand why agencies go encrypted because if they should ever need to communicate with other agencies they would be unable to because of the encryption unless a patch was created to Link police departments I think The decision to do this could come back to haunt agencies when an officer needs immediate assistance..say in situation where back up can't get there fast and say a neighboring agency is close but knows nothing about what's going on because of encryption

NC5267

Seems like more BCSO channels are coming across the system now. In the clear. For now. Haven't seen any other LE agencies pop up yet. At least on the NE site

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
I don't understand why agencies go encrypted because if they should ever need to communicate with other agencies they would be unable to because of the encryption unless a patch was created to Link police departments I think The decision to do this could come back to haunt agencies when an officer needs immediate assistance..say in situation where back up can't get there fast and say a neighboring agency is close but knows nothing about what's going on because of encryption

Two possibilities:
-The local agencies have the encrypted SAPD talkgroups programmed in their new radios and are keyloaded (likely)
-The local agencies have common interop talkgroups programmed in their radios and can move there if needed (definitely)
-Outside agencies have the encrypted SAPD TGs, I would bet DPS will get the keys/TGs if they have not already. They do it all the time on other systems.
-Outside agencies can get an ILA to have AARRS I/O TGs programmed in their radios (id imagine this is the case with LCRA agencies)

In other words, encryption does not have to be a major factor in inter-agency interoperability, even without having to resort to patching.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
BCSO is still in the clear.

The central simulcast site has excellent coverage across the city of san antonio and is the busiest with ALL the patrol zones

Has BCSO ever run encrypted back in the ProVoice days? I am curious if they will remain in the clear as well. Have you seen any ENC on FD/EMS TGs?

NC5267

BCSO had a set of about 5 or so encrypted talkgroups on the EDACS system. Primarily used by Narcotics, Street Crimes etc....Not used a lot but they were used. PD had a whole zone of 16 encrypted talkgroups on the system. They used them more frequently in the past few years for higher risk ops for Narc, ROP etc .....

NC5267

BCSO is still in the clear.

The central simulcast site has excellent coverage across the city of san antonio and is the busiest with ALL the patrol zones

My 436HP with an 800mhz antenna in alot of areas can't seem to lock on a control channel for Central while driving. Full signal bars but no DAT lock on at the bottom of the screen. Quarry area and at I10/410 area by Blacones Heights. Then randomly it will lock on and be running fine. Frequencies are programmed correct

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
My 436HP with an 800mhz antenna in alot of areas can't seem to lock on a control channel for Central while driving. Full signal bars but no DAT lock on at the bottom of the screen. Quarry area and at I10/410 area by Blacones Heights. Then randomly it will lock on and be running fine. Frequencies are programmed correct
It’s the simulcast distortion. I would be looking into an SDS with San Antonio going this way. It really makes a difference. For me, driving through Houston, Austin and Shreveport, that has been the experience with their P25 simulcast. The 436 won’t lock into anything unless I’m on the fringe or right by a single tower.

NC5267

Anyone notice any outside agencies showing up on the system yet? Logging lots of SA and County talkgroups. Airport channels active with the PD channel encrypted. Haven't seen any Colleges, School districts, small municipalities etc...

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I headed east to Louisiana yesterday along I-10 from San Antonio and didn't scan the 800 band with the SDR until around Luling and I picked up Site 9.9 on 855.0125 showing 855.2125 and 857.5875 which are all CPS frequencies. I am not sure where the signal is coming from and it did not report any neighbors. Any sleuths want to locate that one? The three frequencies are all licensed to different transmitter sites, Spring Branch, NW SA and DT SA.

BCSO-Insider

Interoperability is going to be a huge problem with this new system. The City but especially SAPD has regressed 15-20 years with their new shiny toy. Public safety communications will never be the same. What a shame!

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
Interoperability is going to be a huge problem with this new system. The City but especially SAPD has regressed 15-20 years with their new shiny toy. Public safety communications will never be the same. What a shame!

Can't be any worse than when they were on a proprietary trunking format using an even more proprietary digital voice mode that required a radio from a single vendor. They are on a standards-based radio system with standards based encryption, anyone in the area should have no issues coming on the system with their existing P25 compliant radios including being keyloaded. This is now a policy issue and not a technology one. I am not sure I agree with your assertion that their interoperability has regressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.