SDR# Alternative drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeifer69

There doesn't seem to be much information on how to fix sdr# performance issues like freezing on shutdown or when the spectrum stops updating.

For me it worked to change the drivers that sdr# uses, you need to download more recent drivers from the osmocom site or for example I use the version from this repository Release librtlsdr v0.7 · librtlsdr/librtlsdr
I use the 32 bit version and I have tested it in several versions of sdr# lower than v1784 and they work perfectly, it improves the reception in general and it does not freeze anymore. In the case of the osmocom drivers, the latest version of 2019 is the one that has worked best for me. Index of /binaries/windows/rtl-sdr/

In each version that you download, in the case of Windows, there is a file called " librtlsdr ", you have to rename it to " rtlsdr " and copy all the DLLs to your sdr sharp folder.
Remember to backup your original folder in case something goes wrong, and try different versions of sdr sharp and the drivers until you find the one that works best for you.

thewraith2008

This issue of freezing and crashing with SDR# when using a RTL has been going on for years.
You can find some posts I made about it by searching this forum for LIBUSB_ERROR_PIPE (the -9 error).

The problem in part is with the following components:
  • SDR# frontend plug-in for the RTL
  • rtlsdr.dll driver (different "versions" can have an affect)
  • libusb-1.0.dll (different versions can have an affect)
The frontend will crash when the user tries to do something (like close SDR#) when it is still waiting for a call to the driver to return.
If it doesn't crash, you will usually see the spectrum not update with the frequency change. (VFO value will change but actual frequency doesn't)
The standard frontend is pretty simple and craps out in most cases.

The driver call not immediately returning occurs within the libusb library (called from the rtlsdr library) and seem to be because of a problem within the RTL2832 IC in the dongle. Resetting it after a -9 I have found fixes it.

I don't why this affects SDR# + RTLSDR more than other software that uses the RTLSDR.

I ended up just rewriting the SDR# frontend and rtlsdr driver to deal with it but that is only usable with older versions of SDR# because the ability to use custom/updated frontends was remove from later SDR# versions (lame).

rabbit108

Setting Up the RTL-SDR V3 Dongle with SDR# Versions Above 1910

The setup is very tedious with versions above v1910. I suggest that a beginner start with an earlier version. The two important changes are: you need to use the latest 32bit binary and you need to use the Windows start button in the software instead of the SDRSharp application button to open the display.

First remove the existing driver in the device manager:

1913SW1_1.jpg

I downloaded a copy of v1913:

1913SW2_1.jpg

Extract zip file:

1913SW3_1.jpg

Download a copy of 32bit binary:

1913SW4_1.jpg

Files have been extracted and renamed. Open binary file:

1913SW5_1.jpg

Copy 4 .dll files and paste into 1913 SW folder:

1913SW6_1.jpg

More later.

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber

The setup is very tedious with versions above v1910. I suggest that a beginner start with an earlier version. The two important changes are: you need to use the latest 32bit binary and you need to use the Windows start button in the software instead of the SDRSharp application button to open the display.

View attachment 143456

View attachment 143457

Extract zip file:

View attachment 143458

View attachment 143459

View attachment 143461

View attachment 143462

More later.
Tried this with the rtl-sdr-32bit-20230604 with failed results... 20230611 works for awhile, can change freq, gain, stop/play.. then the crash happens.🤷‍♂️

rabbit108

Yes, it's not perfect, but it is better as long as you don't stop the display or close the RF Gain window. If you leave them alone, usually you can adjust gain and change frequency. The new software makes it a lot more difficult to use the RTL-SDR V3 dongle.

I just wanted to see if I could make it work. I plan to stay with the earlier versions. The recent versions of SDR# are even more complicated than SDRuno. Bloated software is cumbersome and not user-friendly.

Click on replace:

1913SW7_1.jpg

Click on install-rtlsdr:

1913SW8_1.jpg

Press any key:

1913SW9_1.jpg

You might have to unplug dongle and reinsert it to show:

1913SW10_1.jpg

Check Device Manager:

1913SW11_1.jpg

Click on start to open display:

1913SW12_1.jpg

Display opens; waiting for setup:

1913SW13_1.jpg

Select Source:

1913SW14_1.jpg

Attachments

• 1913SW15_1 DisplayPlaying.jpg
    1913SW15_1 DisplayPlaying.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 1913SW16_1 NOAA.jpg
    1913SW16_1 NOAA.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 14

Zeifer69

In my case, after several tests, I am using V1732 with the osmocom 20191201 driver and it works perfectly. With the Github drivers I had more consistent results in different versions of sdr# they seem to be more stable,with these I use the V1716. But in the end it's about trying until you find what works best for you

Zeifer69

View attachment 143456

View attachment 143457

Extract zip file:

View attachment 143458

View attachment 143459

View attachment 143461

View attachment 143462

More later.
It is not necessary to delete the windows drivers, zadig is still necessary, the only thing that is replaced are the DLLs from the Sdr# folder

Zeifer69

This issue of freezing and crashing with SDR# when using a RTL has been going on for years.
You can find some posts I made about it by searching this forum for LIBUSB_ERROR_PIPE (the -9 error).

The problem in part is with the following components:
  • SDR# frontend plug-in for the RTL
  • rtlsdr.dll driver (different "versions" can have an affect)
  • libusb-1.0.dll (different versions can have an affect)
The frontend will crash when the user tries to do something (like close SDR#) when it is still waiting for a call to the driver to return.
If it doesn't crash, you will usually see the spectrum not update with the frequency change. (VFO value will change but actual frequency doesn't)
The standard frontend is pretty simple and craps out in most cases.

The driver call not immediately returning occurs within the libusb library (called from the rtlsdr library) and seem to be because of a problem within the RTL2832 IC in the dongle. Resetting it after a -9 I have found fixes it.

I don't why this affects SDR# + RTLSDR more than other software that uses the RTLSDR.

I ended up just rewriting the SDR# frontend and rtlsdr driver to deal with it but that is only usable with older versions of SDR# because the ability to use custom/updated frontends was remove from later SDR# versions (lame).
I would like to try your version, I stayed with V1727 for general reception and for the TETRA plugin, but I can try other versions without problem, I don't like the new interface anyway

rabbit108

1913SW17_1.jpg

Restarted display:

1913SW18_1.jpg

New display has reverted to AIRSPY source:

1913SW19_1.jpg

Attachments

• 1913SW20_1 Working Again.jpg
    1913SW20_1 Working Again.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 7

noamlivne

rabbit108

Make sure that ALL the Plugins are off/unmarked.
There is a plugin (I forgot its name that is related to Remote/TCP or something like that) that is marked as enabled. Find it in the Plugins dropdown menu and disable it. SDR# will then save your settings properly.
Thank you for the tip.

Do you mean in the software or the display?

I see 2 listings for plugins in the software, but none in the display. The upper one is a folder. The lower one is XML settings. The source in the display is set to RTL-SDR USB.

This shows what is in the Plugins Folder in the software:

Attachments

• Plugins Folder in 1913SW_1.jpg
    Plugins Folder in 1913SW_1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 8

rabbit108

I mean this view.
And I think the culprit is "Scytale-C".
Unmark the "Enabled".
Thanks for the screenshots.

I don't have Freq Scanner or Plugins in that menu, so I can't try that fix.
Your image:

Plugin I don't have_1.jpg

However, you gave me a clue to look further into the software.

I found that if I did Save Layout and entered some freqs in Freq Manager, v1913 behaved much better with the RTL-SDR V3 dongle.

Select Source and then click on green Configure gear:

Select RTL-SDR USB as Source_1.jpg

After Configure, RF Gain window opens and Device isn't grayed-out. This should mean it's now in memory and you should be able to Close it and reopen if needed:

After clicking on Green Configure_1.jpg

Sometimes, when I clicked on start Windows in the 1913 SW, it would open showing a panel listing RTL-SDR:

1913source panel_1.jpg

Click on lower Plugins:

Click on lower Plugins_1.jpg

Which should open this:

Text Import window_1.jpg

Click on OK, which should open the XML file.
IOW, I had to create a plugin for the dongle:

Plugin XML after OK_1.jpg

Click on SDRSharp Layout > OK:

SDRSharp Layout_1.jpg

Which brings up an XML Layout file with many columns:

XML Layout file for RTL_1.jpg

Well, that's about all I know how to do to prepare 1913 for the dongle. You still have to restart in the software. Maybe I can find an easier way after some sleep.

Using 1910 is still a better option.:)

Last edited:

thewraith2008

I would like to try your version, I stayed with V1727 for general reception and for the TETRA plugin, but I can try other versions without problem, I don't like the new interface anyway

It's not really geared for most end users as it's more for debugging and experimentation, but it does have some additional features over the standard one.
  • Replaces the default RTL-SDR SDR# frontend. (Only for .NET4.5 SDR# versions up to v1716 - May work v1717-1757 but those versions are faulty)
  • Customize sample rates. Default 32768 increments or can be manually entered (this can help reduce images/noise spikes at some sample rates).
  • Shows the serial number of the connected dongles. (not ones in-use by another program - limit of driver).
  • Custom gain control for LNA, Mixer and VGA. (not suitable when scanning large bands).
  • Decimation.
  • Adjustable visible spectrum ratio.
  • Enable/Disable the driver DC removal. (with adjustable alpha).
  • Bias-T (only for RTLSDR.com dongles).
  • Save driver configuration for each dongle (based on serial number) and automatically restore them on dongle selection.
  • View and modify T820 tuner registers. (for debugging only)
  • Plus various things changed to improve and handle errors/crashes (hopefully).
  • Uses a custom build of librtlsdr.dll to implement some new things that the default (rtlsdr.dll) one can't do and also avoid clashes with the original rtlsdr.dll driver library.

Here are some images of it:
CRiOseQ.png
k9emXWv.png

embD2sv.png

rabbit108

Well, that's about all I know how to do to prepare 1913 for the dongle. You still have to restart in the software. Maybe I can find an easier way after some sleep.

Using 1910 is still a better option.:)
Two more comments:

Attachments

• SDRSharp changelog_1.jpg
    SDRSharp changelog_1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 23
  • SDRSharp Download Page_2.jpg
    SDRSharp Download Page_2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 22
Status
Not open for further replies.